Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Post #515 is an EXTENSIVE review w/ pics. Link

Food menus: Kitchen, In-Room Dining, Fire, Fish
Prices may change (sometimes substantially) so not necessarily up to date.

Excursions and activities pricing
Print Wikipost

W Maldives [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by ariyo15
Hey everyone!

I have two main questions:

1) What is the best way to get to MLE? I'm hoping to use US miles to book a *A award, but am having some trouble... What did everyone else do? (I'd be coming from PHL)

2) What is the general consensus re Platinum treatment/UGs? Obviously, customer satisfaction is a #1 priority here, but is there anything special for plats? What about upgrades?

Couldn't get seats on SIN, so I flew ORD>FRA>DXB>MLE
We got an upgrade from a beachfront to an overwater, but i understand that isn't "standard" treatment.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Planning an April trip there. Thanks for the responses. Anyone have any luck with any travel agencies that can get better rates than the $1000+ a night?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:38 am

The agency where I normaly book has some good offers:
10.Mai - 31.Jul 2011
for 7 nights incl. flight and breakfast is 2.800€ per person in beach oasis suite.

http://www.ewtc.de/Malediven/weitere...treat-Spa.html
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by charder
The agency where I normaly book has some good offers:
10.Mai - 31.Jul 2011
for 7 nights incl. flight and breakfast is 2.800€ per person in beach oasis suite.

http://www.ewtc.de/Malediven/weitere...treat-Spa.html
Thanks,
Ill have a look. Kuoni also had some good deals.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 4:18 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
I'm one of the ppl who loves the Maldives, Been there three times and the 2nd one was at the W, Where I loved the free ice creams, water and soft drinks, the island is way to small compared to other resorts, still the food was great at that time (2009) but the spa setting was not so great compared to other resorts.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 3:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, KF Gold, Marriott Titanium
Maldives specific promos?

Any specific promos for Maldives besides waht is publicly viewable on the SPG site?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by icemaker
Any specific promos for Maldives besides waht is publicly viewable on the SPG site?
Not that I know of, but I'll be there in 2 weeks, and I wish there were more info in this thread. Not a lot in the way of recommendations/reviews/favorite meals, treatments, etc. here. Anyone been recently and have any favorite experiences they'd like to share?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by ps9a
Not that I know of, but I'll be there in 2 weeks, and I wish there were more info in this thread. Not a lot in the way of recommendations/reviews/favorite meals, treatments, etc. here. Anyone been recently and have any favorite experiences they'd like to share?
for more obscure location like this I would say you are more likely to get useful feedback on tripadvisor forums
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:51 am

Programs: QFWP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
Hi all,

Have read through the thread but still have a few questions for anyone who's been recently, if someone would be so kind.

- What are dinner prices like currently, and what sort of food is served at Kitchen?
- Do the majority of those package deals (i.e. the ones that travel agents work out and usually include breakfast, transfers etc...) exclude you from earning SPG points?
- Any word on how Plat upgrades have been lately? Still rare?
- With only 55 rooms I can't imagine the nightclub would be very busy - is it still a pretty decent spot? Or do people come from surrounding islands?
- Any recommendations for 1 night in Male? Holiday Inn? I know we won't necessarily need to stay there, but we'd like to (given the island may well not be there soon... ).

Feb 2012 rates have just become available so we're looking at the W for our honeymoon (6 nights)...the rates we've been given aren't too bad (breakfast included), but it'd be great to earn SPG points and get recognised for being Plat.

Cheers,
- Febs.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:54 am

Why not share the rates you reference? I'm sure many would find it interesting.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:57 am

Was there for 6 nights for my honeymoon in March.

- What are dinner prices like currently, and what sort of food is served at Kitchen?
Budget between $50-$100/night per person for food. Private dinners are more. (Kitchen is on the $50 end, Fish on the $100 end). Kitchen was fine, but not very fun (ate there 1 night)... best part of kitchen is they have tables where you can put your feet in the water... though it's just pool water. For some reason, everyone was doing it when we were there. The menu is eclectic... you can get pizza, steak, fish, indian, thai curry, etc.

We ate 1 night at Fish, which was very tasty, though that was a little formal and quiet for our tastes. The bar at Fish, Sip, is a lot of fun during Sunset though... great views, fun music, and the staff there were our favorites.

Fire was our favorite restaurant hands down (3 nights there)... kind of buffet style, except you get to choose your meats, noodles, veggies, sauces, etc, and they grill/stir fry them up for you. I can't remember for sure, but I think it was between $70-85/night, depending on the theme. The tables are all out on the sand, which made it a lot of fun, though you need to call early if you want one in the first few rows by the beach. It's also not open every night, and we (I believe) were in the middle of their high season, so I don't expect that to change.

We also grilled on our deck one night, and that was pretty cool... didn't think the food tasted quite as good (possibly my Maldivian grilling prowess is lacking), but it's cool to be able to make your own meal at your own leisure.

- Do the majority of those package deals (i.e. the ones that travel agents work out and usually include breakfast, transfers etc...) exclude you from earning SPG points?
No clue... we didn't book a package deal. But they were extremely stingy with Starpoints when we went (which I thought was a little weak, given the amount of money most guests must spend)... only restaurants, minibar, and hotel room were eligible... no points for Spa/Excursions/Diving/Seaplane.

- Any word on how Plat upgrades have been lately? Still rare?
No love for us there. We booked an Ocean Oasis with an Ocean view... got an Ocean Oasis with an Ocean view. Was hoping for a Lagoon view upgrade. Quickly denied at check-in. Lagoon view turns out to be a lot less private, as you're on the lagoon with snorkelers, windsurfers, kayakers, etc... but it's significantly less windy that the ones that face away from the island.

- With only 55 rooms I can't imagine the nightclub would be very busy - is it still a pretty decent spot? Or do people come from surrounding islands?
The nightclub is very quiet, but there were live DJ's each night... we went a couple of nights... the first night, a loud group of Russians (there were a lot there during our trip) was ordering bottles and dancing. The second night, it was just my wife and me. We never stayed past midnight, but I can't imagine it went off later. Definitely nobody from other islands. It's not open every night, but they had events on the Fire beach each night that it was closed, including a progressive shot night once, which was pretty amusing. One of the cool things about the resort is that if you open and don't finish a bottle of wine anywhere in the resort, they'll re-cork and re-cellar it for you until you call upon it later... so if you drink half a bottle (or a bottle and a half) with dinner, you can send the balance to 15 Below, the beach, your room, or dinner the next night. Makes ordering glasses a pretty boring and sub-optimal choice.

- Any recommendations for 1 night in Male? Holiday Inn? I know we won't necessarily need to stay there, but we'd like to (given the island may well not be there soon... ).
Holiday Inn is probably the nicest in Male... we never stayed there, but visited their roofdeck 2 years ago, and it was fine. I'm not a huge fan of Male at all, and have stayed at both the Hulhule and the Sheraton for a night each... between the 2, the Sheraton wins... no contest.

Feb 2012 rates have just become available so we're looking at the W for our honeymoon (6 nights)...the rates we've been given aren't too bad (breakfast included), but it'd be great to earn SPG points and get recognised for being Plat.
You won't get a lot of recognition, so I'd say that if your package is a great deal (no idea what kind of rate you have), relative to what you can get on SPG.com, go for it.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:28 am

Not just wine. Purchase any bottle service alcohol and have your drinks poured from it anywhere on the island. poolside, fire, fish, etc... We ordered a vodka, a gin and whiskey bottle and just had our drinks poured from these bottles during our stay - much cheaper than $15-$20 a drink.

Was there for 6 nights for my honeymoon in March.

Budget between $50-$100/night per person for food. Private dinners are more. (Kitchen is on the $50 end, Fish on the $100 end). Kitchen was fine, but not very fun (ate there 1 night)... best part of kitchen is they have tables where you can put your feet in the water... though it's just pool water. For some reason, everyone was doing it when we were there. The menu is eclectic... you can get pizza, steak, fish, indian, thai curry, etc.

We ate 1 night at Fish, which was very tasty, though that was a little formal and quiet for our tastes. The bar at Fish, Sip, is a lot of fun during Sunset though... great views, fun music, and the staff there were our favorites.

Fire was our favorite restaurant hands down (3 nights there)... kind of buffet style, except you get to choose your meats, noodles, veggies, sauces, etc, and they grill/stir fry them up for you. I can't remember for sure, but I think it was between $70-85/night, depending on the theme. The tables are all out on the sand, which made it a lot of fun, though you need to call early if you want one in the first few rows by the beach. It's also not open every night, and we (I believe) were in the middle of their high season, so I don't expect that to change.

We also grilled on our deck one night, and that was pretty cool... didn't think the food tasted quite as good (possibly my Maldivian grilling prowess is lacking), but it's cool to be able to make your own meal at your own leisure.

No clue... we didn't book a package deal. But they were extremely stingy with Starpoints when we went (which I thought was a little weak, given the amount of money most guests must spend)... only restaurants, minibar, and hotel room were eligible... no points for Spa/Excursions/Diving/Seaplane.

No love for us there. We booked an Ocean Oasis with an Ocean view... got an Ocean Oasis with an Ocean view. Was hoping for a Lagoon view upgrade. Quickly denied at check-in. Lagoon view turns out to be a lot less private, as you're on the lagoon with snorkelers, windsurfers, kayakers, etc... but it's significantly less windy that the ones that face away from the island.

The nightclub is very quiet, but there were live DJ's each night... we went a couple of nights... the first night, a loud group of Russians (there were a lot there during our trip) was ordering bottles and dancing. The second night, it was just my wife and me. We never stayed past midnight, but I can't imagine it went off later. Definitely nobody from other islands. It's not open every night, but they had events on the Fire beach each night that it was closed, including a progressive shot night once, which was pretty amusing. One of the cool things about the resort is that if you open and don't finish a bottle of wine anywhere in the resort, they'll re-cork and re-cellar it for you until you call upon it later... so if you drink half a bottle (or a bottle and a half) with dinner, you can send the balance to 15 Below, the beach, your room, or dinner the next night. Makes ordering glasses a pretty boring and sub-optimal choice.

Holiday Inn is probably the nicest in Male... we never stayed there, but visited their roofdeck 2 years ago, and it was fine. I'm not a huge fan of Male at all, and have stayed at both the Hulhule and the Sheraton for a night each... between the 2, the Sheraton wins... no contest.

You won't get a lot of recognition, so I'd say that if your package is a great deal (no idea what kind of rate you have), relative to what you can get on SPG.com, go for it.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by scaplan
Not just wine. Purchase any bottle service alcohol and have your drinks poured from it anywhere on the island. poolside, fire, fish, etc... We ordered a vodka, a gin and whiskey bottle and just had our drinks poured from these bottles during our stay - much cheaper than $15-$20 a drink.
Are you Russian? And were you there in March? That's actually a very good idea... we didn't really drink much hard alcohol, but that would save a lot, I would presume.

We did, however, have them remove everything from our minibar, and restock it with only Tiger beer... and we had them customize our in-room wine fridge with wines that we'd rather drink.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: QFWP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Colin
Why not share the rates you reference? I'm sure many would find it interesting.
Happy to share, though it's not a per night rate per se, but a package. We were quoted ~$9,300AUD for 1 night in Male (Hulhule Island Hotel), 6 nights in an Ocean Oasis at the W, breakfast included each night and return seaplane transfers for 2.

Seems decent considering the standard per night rates on the Ocean Oasis are about $1,600/night, and that doesn't include breakfast or seaplane transfers.

Was there for 6 nights for my honeymoon in March. <snip>
Extremely helpful, thankyou! Good to hear they're reasonable with bottles of wine/spirits too.

Cheers,
- Febs.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:38 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Has anyone had experiences with the Full Board option? Any opinions?

Full Board USD 120 ++ per person per day

· Rate subject to 10% service charge and 6% GST
· Lunch at The Kitchen Restaurant
· Dinner at The Kitchen or Fire Restaurant
Also, how ridiculous are bar prices- say for simple things like a bottle of beer/glass of wine or a vodka soda?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.