Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
MV was refurbed in 2016. Still some ongoing with the lifts. I have stayed there probably 400-500 nights since 2008. The front desk and concierge staff know me and greet me, which is always nice (some have been there since I first started staying there). Rooms on the 6th and 7th are large. If I stay one night, they usually put me in the Presidential Suite on the 6th. The lounge on the 7th was also refurbed in 2016. It's a tad small for the amount of traffic it gets and especially in the mornings can be full. Drinks are served from about 5pm. Never tried the food as I always eat out.

It's attached to a proper gym (Bannatynes), which is well equipped but can also be busy especially at the beginning of the week. You also have to exit the hotel to get to the gym around the corner (you used to be able to walk through a connecting door on the 1st floor and access it via a private apartment block, but that access is now closed). This is not fun in the winter.

It's a 5 minute walk to the tube (Kilburn Park) and then 20 minutes to the West End. Or there are buses (16 and 98) if you prefer a view (insofar as the Edgware Road offers a 'view').

Avoid rooms at the front of the hotel as they face the racetrack that is the A5 Edgware Road, which is noisy all day and night. This is typically rooms ending in 07 to 18, I think. I always ask for a room overlooking the back or the central courtyard. Rooms on the 7th can also be noisy, especially in summer, when the A/C units are working non-stop.
pilgrim likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by nobbyclark
Drinks are served from about 5pm. Never tried the food as I always eat out.
What drinks are served in the lounge? Is the food enough for a dinner?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Red and white wine, beer. I know colleagues who have existed on the food but it's pretty limited. Really can't comment as I've never tried it.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: LH HON, Marriott Platinum, ...
The food at the Maida Vale Lounge is good. I like it, but I prefer the Regent's Park (from a room, lounge food and location perspective).
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Originally Posted by catocony
Besides the Ren at Heathrow, Maida Vale and Kensington Marriotts are the only two full-service properties in London that are reasonably priced in dollars. Maida Vale is quite a bit more out of the way, and everyone I've talked to who stays there says its because of price and not much else. The Kensington Marriott doesn't get much discussion at all.
I have stayed at the Kensington Marriott six times in the last 3 years, always on business. It is one of the few London Marriotts that fit within my corporate spending cap. There is actually a standalone FT thread for the hotel, which may be why it doesn't get mentioned often here.

In any case, it has definitely not been renovated recently, other than the lifts. The rooms are standard Marriott and could really use a refresh - especially the carpet. As a Platinum, I have never once been upgraded - even though all my stays have been paid (not points). On the other hand, I've only asked for an upgrade once - I had Mr. jtwiz with me. But we were there for 9 days (5 days business, 4 days pleasure) and the hotel was sold out for over half of our stay. We didn't feel like moving midway, so just kept the Queen bedroom that I had booked.

One thing I really like at the Kensington is that you have choice of breakfast in the Lounge or the restaurant buffet (including eggs cooked to order) every day. On days when I am in a hurry to get to the office, the Lounge offering is perfect. But for example, on a weekend day, it is nice to relax over a full English breakfast.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by alfahund
The food at the Maida Vale Lounge is good. I like it, but I prefer the Regent's Park (from a room, lounge food and location perspective).
Is it better than U.S. concierge lounges or somewhere between a U.S. lounge and the better international lounges?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: LH HON, Marriott Platinum, ...
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Is it better than U.S. concierge lounges or somewhere between a U.S. lounge and the better international lounges?
Good European Standard Lounge.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:13 am

Smile Best London SPG/Marriott for honeymooners?

Hi all - due to a schedule change to our honeymoon flights, we will now have a 24 hour layover in London a few days before Christmas. We'd like to use our Marriott points for a room. I'd love to get your opinion on which Marriott/SPG property in London is best.

Here's our criteria, from most important to least important:
+First and foremost, high-end hotel - it is our honeymoon, after all We're open to spending any number of points
+Location - good area to walk around
+Likelihood of getting upgraded to a suite (I'm Platinum with Marriott)
+Ease of access to London Heathrow
+Low priority, but a club lounge would be nice

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by Dukejt; Oct 1, 2018 at 11:18 am Reason: Added status and details
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:39 am

Have you reviewed any of the numerous existing threads discussing London properties?
hockeyinsider and Smrtmom1 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What status do you have with Starriott and are you planning to use SNAs?

The Park Tower (LC, once was a Sheraton) is in a good location very close to Hyde Park Corner, which is on the direct tube line from LHR and moreover, is one of the few tube stations that doesn't require passengers to walk up/down stairs with luggage.

Unfortunately it's an ugly modern round tower, but many rooms/suites have good views. The rooms are slightly wedge shaped and seem large and nice for London. No lounge, but there's an extensive breakfast buffet in their restaurant.

Suite upgrade likelihood is mixed as there are many suites but there are also periods when suites seem to be filled with people paying even the rack rate for them. [If you like fancy cars, it's fun to see what vehicles are in the carriage entrance waiting to be valet parked.]

Otherwise, think about Sheraton Park Lane which IIRC does have a lounge or investigate some of the boutique hotels (LC and Design properties, for instance) in Starwood. There's an interesting Marriott family historic property right over the train station if you're planning to use Heathrow Express, but IIRC lounge access there is based on the room category booked rather than elite status.

How many points do you want to spend?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Have you reviewed any of the numerous existing threads discussing London properties?
I have, and I see that different people have different opinions. Most are opinions for business trips, and I haven't seen any on honeymoons specifically, so created a new thread.

Last edited by Dukejt; Oct 1, 2018 at 11:22 am Reason: Added details
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What status do you have with Starriott and are you planning to use SNAs?

The Park Tower (LC, once was a Sheraton) is in a good location very close to Hyde Park Corner, which is on the direct tube line from LHR and moreover, is one of the few tube stations that doesn't require passengers to walk up/down stairs with luggage.

Unfortunately it's an ugly modern round tower, but many rooms/suites have good views. The rooms are slightly wedge shaped and seem large and nice for London. No lounge, but there's an extensive breakfast buffet in their restaurant.

Suite upgrade likelihood is mixed as there are many suites but there are also periods when suites seem to be filled with people paying even the rack rate for them. [If you like fancy cars, it's fun to see what vehicles are in the carriage entrance waiting to be valet parked.]

Otherwise, think about Sheraton Park Lane which IIRC does have a lounge or investigate some of the boutique hotels (LC and Design properties, for instance) in Starwood. There's an interesting Marriott family historic property right over the train station if you're planning to use Heathrow Express, but IIRC lounge access there is based on the room category booked rather than elite status.

How many points do you want to spend?
Thank you for this helpful response! I'm Platinum with Starriott Yes, I can use SNAs, and we're open to spending the max number of points for the highest tier properties.
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dukejt
Thank you for this helpful response! I'm Platinum with Starriott Yes, I can use SNAs, and we're open to spending the max number of points for the highest tier properties.
Originally Posted by Dukejt
Hi all - due to a schedule change to our honeymoon flights, we will now have a 24 hour layover in London a few days before Christmas. We'd like to use our Marriott points for a room. I'd love to get your opinion on which Marriott/SPG property in London is best.

Here's our criteria, from most important to least important:
+First and foremost, high-end hotel - it is our honeymoon, after all We're open to spending any number of points
+Location - good area to walk around
+Likelihood of getting upgraded to a suite (I'm Platinum with Marriott)
+Ease of access to London Heathrow
+Low priority, but a club lounge would be nice

Thanks in advance for your help!
You're going to be there for 24 hours. You place a lot of value on going out and about in London, but reading between the lines you want a nice hotel with a suite so you can, presumably, consummate your marriage in memorable fashion. If if it were me, I'd have two or three rounds, including once before or after room service breakfast with a bottle of champagne.

If you have no objection to spending the maximum number of points and place a huge importance on a suite upgrade then the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House is probably the best option because they have a large number of suites. I've stayed there a lot and I'm confident the hotel's guest relations staff would go the extra-mile to ensure you got laid by your wife in a suite. Try emailing the hotel to see if they can pre-confirm a suite upgrade and specify it's your honeymoon: JW, London England Guest Relations Senior Manager <mhrs.longh.guest.relations.snr.mgr@marriotthotels .com>.
Dukejt likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
The Westbury has a very good central location, walkable from the Piccadilly line stop, and has a lot of suites
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's an interesting Marriott family historic property right over the train station if you're planning to use Heathrow Express, but IIRC lounge access there is based on the room category booked rather than elite status.
You are presumably referring to the St. Pancras Renaissance, which only grants access to the Chambers Club for those staying in Chambers Suites, or Platinum Preferred.

The hotel is also over St Pancras, one of eighteen railway stations that make up the "London Terminals", and not the one that is serviced by Heathrow Express. (That would be Paddington, at least until Crossrail opens... eventually.) St. Pancras is the terminal for Eurostar service to the continent.
EuropeanPete and jtwiz like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.