Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2004, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two points of reference: I did the wife/2 adult daughters trip a number of years ago, and we were in London last Christmas season.

A) With the family, we spent only a couple of days in London proper, and then hired a car and wandered about the countryside. In my opinion, it was a better experience, especially for the girls. Did cost more, though. And it was in the summer.

B) At Christmas, everything was closed! Not only on the 25th, but on Christmas Eve, Boxing Day (26th) and, because it was toward the end of the week, they decided to take the weekend off, too. I'd check on what's open on the days you're going to be there.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 2:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, AA Plt, Hyatt Plt
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Captain Mike, I know London geography quite well - better than I know the Marriott hotels, I'll admit. What about the Renaissance Chancery Court? I'd prefer that location to Maida Vale or Regents Park - or even Marble Arch. It's more central, which is something I value. Just beware that Dec 26 is a holiday, and London is dead quiet. There is no public transport on Dec 25; I'm not sure if there is or not on Dec 26.

Be sure to get tickets to a pantomime. I hear that Kevin Spacey is mounting one at the Old Vic that should be quite good. and the Christmas concert at Royal Albert Hall is fantastic.
I'd shy away from the Chancery Court for 4 people in a room. As per my report I wrote on the property about a month ago, their 2 beds in a room are doubles, not queens, and your 7 day vacation with 4 adults in one room (especially with 3 women) would not pass my idea of a 'fun time'. Just food for thought.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well, the advantage of doing a search is you find things - didn't realize I had started this thread last year.

Since 47 Park Street is no longer available for awards , I'm looking at redeeming one for US Prez Weekend 2005 either at Grosvenor Square or Park Lane. It's my birthday weekend & we've started a London Do (see Community for Do details).

Looking for a direct comparison of the 2 (please don't sidetrack w/ Chancery or County Hall - these are the 2 specific hotels I'm looking at).

Both are Category 7, so points required are the same.

Last time I redeemed points at GS was 2 years ago when I was Silver & so had to pay 50-70GPB in addition to award pts to get exec level room. This time I'm Platinum.

So if someone has stayed at GS before who's Platinum, do you auto get upgraded to exec level room on award or is it still a fee, and for those who have stayed at PL, do you get upgraded to exec level? I'm not expecting a suite, but a nicer room would be nice regardless of which hotel.

Is hi-speed internet available for both, and if so what's the fee?

Any comparison on health clubs? GS was rather basic last time I stayed there. Know GS doesn't have a fee for health club - does PL?

Comparison of exec lounges - ie, food, booze, ambiance?

General overall recognition of Platinums?

Any info appreciated, and I promise to do a trip report after my stay (at whichever hotel it turns out to be). Cheers.

Sharon
Old Dec 8, 2004, 11:41 pm

I also tend to like the Grosvenor Square property for convenience and location, and haven't stayed at the Ren (nor, unfortunately, at 47 -- although from descriptions I now wish I had done so when I had the chance - sounds great, like living in the country and having a "town flat" complete with staff; sounds very Regency).

When I was Plat in 2003, I was upgraded to suite every time at no additional cost, but I always asked as I checked in whether the upgrade had "come through", and sometimes the reception folks would visibly change the room they had planned to give me. The suites I got I found to be a bit disappointing. They're well-appointed, and the sitting room is nice, but the bedrooms seem a bit cramped.

As a Gold, this year, I was not upgraded to suite (I wrote about it elsewhere on this forum) but did get a more spacious room, although with a poor view (but I didn't come to London to sit in the hotel and look at the view).

The lounge is fair to middlin'. Smaller than the "usual" and more limited in breakfast selection than the dining room, but that's probably true most places. I found it adequate and the "free breakfast" it provided gave me more money to spend in the used book stores around Charing Cross and at the theatre.

Edited to add: I didn't notice high-speed internet when I was there, most recently this autumn. Could be, though, that it's there and I just didn't notice.

Last edited by Counsellor; Dec 8, 2004 at 11:44 pm Reason: add Internet information
Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Since 47 Park Street is no longer available for awards , I'm looking at redeeming one for US Prez Weekend 2005 either at Grosvenor Square or Park Lane. It's my birthday weekend & we've started a London Do (see Community for Do details).

Are you sure it is not longer available....I remember booking the property using award of 80,000? for three nights for a two bedroom but it was not easy or a published ofcourse this was a couple years ago.

fyi 47 park street is really classy..they just sent me a christmas card...a real card not some mass mailing!
Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:25 pm

I got the same Xmas card!

But it's been well-publicized (alas) that starting 01/05 - no more award stays. It IS still available for revenue stays, but it's high & when you factor in the exchange rate, prohibitive for most of us...
Old Dec 10, 2004, 6:47 am

Personally, I really like the Park Lane Marriott, it is the newest Marriott in London when I stayed there for the Mega-Do it was only open for a few months.

The rooms are huge for London standards and the hotel has an ultra-modern feel to it.

The C-Lounge is very nice and spacious and places a spread that really could make a meal.

I really like the elevators which feel like they came out of a "W" hotel rather than a Marriott.

The only downside to the Park Lane Marriott is that there is really no close public transportation.

As for the G Square it is a Marriott with normal sized London rooms, cannot say much else about it, except it is probably better for the tourist thing.

Dan
Old Dec 10, 2004, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by dan1431
Personally, I really like the Park Lane Marriott, it is the newest Marriott in London when I stayed there for the Mega-Do it was only open for a few months.

The rooms are huge for London standards and the hotel has an ultra-modern feel to it.

The C-Lounge is very nice and spacious and places a spread that really could make a meal.

I really like the elevators which feel like they came out of a "W" hotel rather than a Marriott.

The only downside to the Park Lane Marriott is that there is really no close public transportation.

As for the G Square it is a Marriott with normal sized London rooms, cannot say much else about it, except it is probably better for the tourist thing.

Dan

I'm with Dan on the Park Lane. It's my only Marriott stay in London so I can't help compare to other properties, but I agree with this assessment of it being a very nice property. This might sound silly given the ease of using the Underground but I also think the location is great, right next to the park, a few blocks from Notting Hill, very nice neighborhood. I will probably try to stay there again next time, points permitting. Dan, didn't you find this very close to the Marble Arch stop on the tube?
Old Dec 13, 2004, 8:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Grosvenor House-London

Anyone stay here recently? Is hotel still undergoing renovations? Any info appreciated. Thanx
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:39 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Continental OnePass, BA Executive Club, Tesco ;)
I was there in September for a 1 night stay. I love the hotel, particularly the bar and the lobby areas and I didn't experience any inconvenience due to the renovations.

Make sure you request a renovated room, however, or you'll be sorely disappointed.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 10:07 pm

Do a search - there have been a # of threads on this property & some have been very unhappy due to the renovation. One reason I decided to book Park Lane instead. I'm wait until rennies are done. YMMV. Cheers. Sharon
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:51 am

Location: Laguna Beach, CA; Former DL everything, now AA/AS everything; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat; and all that other stuff!!
I stayed at this property for years and loved it, even post 9-11 with the barricades and all. Recently switched to Renaissance Chancery Court for about the same price and with a Club Floor. Great property...I recommend it.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 7:23 am

I stayed here in August. Stayed at the Maida Vale on the first night of a 11 night Europe trip, and was winding up the trip at the Grovsenor House.

I had booked a 56 pound friends and family rate at both hotels -- Maida Vale honored it, but the Grovsenor House would not. Tried to more than double our rate. We were on a budget so that was no go. Said they were the "flagship" Marriot in London, and could not give such a low rate. Bunch of garbage in my opinion. Had the desk clerk go talk to as many managers as he could, and finally got a 76 pound rate, not what we had booked but we took it. Nickle and diming if you ask me. Found the staff a bit snobby about it too.

Had a decent room -- nice beds, pillows, shower/tub. The hotel seems to be popular among the "Arab influx" that London gets every summer. Consequently, the smells of Middle Eastern food permeated the hallways from I guess people cooking in their room?

Great location, nice walk to Oxford street and the Tube through all the ritzy row-houses. Saw a Mercedes McLaren SLR parked on the street. Car cost half a million USD. The renovation was very ugly but was confined to the rear of the hotel, and might be complete by now.

Summary: Snobby but nice hotel in great location. Close to some GREAT lamb schwarma up on Edgeware road.

Originally Posted by bareflanks
I stayed at this property for years and loved it, even post 9-11 with the barricades and all. Recently switched to Renaissance Chancery Court for about the same price and with a Club Floor. Great property...I recommend it.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by jtduarte
Had a decent room -- nice beds, pillows, shower/tub.

The hotel seems to be popular among the "Arab influx" that London gets every summer. Consequently, the smells of Middle Eastern food permeated the hallways from I guess people cooking in their room?

Summary: Snobby but nice hotel in great location. Close to some GREAT lamb schwarma up on Edgeware road.
I find it somewhat astounding you say snobby but nice hotel given your comment in the second paragraph. Do you think you could have been any more offensive with this comments: "Arab influx" and "Consequently, the smells of Middle Eastern food permeated the hallways from I guess people cooking in their room?"

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Dec 18, 2004 at 10:40 am Reason: Take out unnecessary comment
Old Dec 17, 2004, 6:24 am

Message deleted and now requesting my account to be deleted. Adios and Rar!

Last edited by GuinnessMan; Dec 18, 2004 at 6:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.