Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
That's odd. My impression had been that slippers were a standard Luxury Collection room feature, along with the scales. In general, the OP should realize that slippers are much more common in Europe and Asia than in the US.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
They do have free wireless in the lobby. you just have to ask for the password.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Be glad you were placed in a "non-view"room.The view the street facing rooms have are of drunks/bums/homeless/crazies/tourists and streetcars/busses on Market or a dark city street with no sun on New Montgomery.
This is my least favorite SPG property in SF. What was "Luxury" 100 years ago does not cut it now.I find the rooms can be very noisy since the doors are thin and often have a large gapbetween the threshold and the door.Walls are thin also.
"Well maintained"furniture?well there is only so much that scratch cover can hide.
And that lovely breakfast buffet cost $30 after a modest tip.Way too rich for my blood for an every day expense.
The Sunday Buffet,while VERY expensive at $80 per after tax and tip,is very grand and lovley.
I also enjoy the free coffee they put out in the lobby in the morning.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
Thank you for the detailed review and pics ^
Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Be glad you were placed in a "non-view"room.The view the street facing rooms have are of drunks/bums/homeless/crazies/tourists and streetcars/busses on Market or a dark city street with no sun on New Montgomery.
This is my least favorite SPG property in SF. What was "Luxury" 100 years ago does not cut it now.I find the rooms can be very noisy since the doors are thin and often have a large gapbetween the threshold and the door.Walls are thin also.
"Well maintained"furniture?well there is only so much that scratch cover can hide.
And that lovely breakfast buffet cost $30 after a modest tip.Way too rich for my blood for an every day expense.
The Sunday Buffet,while VERY expensive at $80 per after tax and tip,is very grand and lovley.
I also enjoy the free coffee they put out in the lobby in the morning.

Thanks for your message. I guess we all have our own subjective experiences, coloured by the experiences we have.
The buffet was included in my rate and coming from the St. Regis this buffet was indeed great for me. Moreover, having breakfast in such a beautiful surrounding is for me also a very nice experience.
Guess I was lucky with the interior in my room. Did not notice any disturbing noise in my room.

Overall the maintainance of the hotel and public spaces seemed to be very well, especially when compared with other grand hotels around the world.
As a guest I felt very comfortable in this grand hotel and I am sure I will stay here again when in San Francisco.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
This is my least favorite SPG property in SF.
+1

Never again.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
We love the Palace, especially when they're a Starpick. It's the only SF Starwood property that we'll book for a local weekend trip in the city.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:32 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
The dining room here is simply spectacular; I consider it the hotel's calling card. It's surely from a different, but glorious era. They just don't make 'em like that anymore. I appreciate your sharing your photos.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:25 pm

Wow. thanks for posting. What a beautiful hotel.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by claes059
offer their guest a warmer breakfast area in the Garden Court in the winter, offer their guest slippers, offer their guest free use of computers/internet ( like SheratonLink).
While I am not a fan of grand old hotels, I cannot deny I enjoyed my breakfast in Palm Court. I always find hotel indoor dining venues to be usually too warm and stuffy, so perhaps I should plan to have breakfast there during winter one day. With free internet for platinums across SPG properties, SheratonLink seems redundant now for plats; no need to compete with those who hog the terminals all day. And do Americans wear slippers in (hotel) rooms, dont recall seeing one so far ......
Old Mar 3, 2010, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Originally Posted by camsean
Wow. thanks for posting. What a beautiful hotel.
You are welcome! I have seen many beautiful starwood hotels around the world, The Palace is one of the most beautiful/stylish hotels I have been in the world!

It's strange, before I left Europe I had high expectations of the st. Regis and not of The Palace. But as a guest I do prefer the Palace!
Old Mar 4, 2010, 12:26 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb, Hilton Diamond
Check out the Mandarin Taipan suite, amazing room. Out door deck is huge and full of win.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 11:46 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA 1K, AA EXP, Admirals Club, RCC, Avis First
This hotel is very much a love it or hate it kind of place. I stayed here once and definitely did not enjoy the experience. Shortly afterwards, family came into town to visit and I put them up here. They absolutely loved it. I'll have to admit that the courtyard downstairs where food is served is absolutely beautiful. The rooms are also very large as the OP noted, but I feel like a lot of the space is just wasted...
Old Mar 5, 2010, 7:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
I like this hotel a lot. I have also stayed at the Westin (modern one around the corner) and the Westin St. Francis (run away). Of the three, the Palace is my favorite.
Old May 19, 2010, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI: There is currently a $125 STARPICKS rate bookable at spg.com until Friday- this is the best price I have ever seen for this hotel (booked in August King Room). Non changeable/no refunds/fully prepaid/etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.