Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Old Mar 15, 2009, 2:28 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Blood on the sheets - The Palace San Fran

Checked in to the Palace Hotel on 2/25, was given a standard room. Being that I am a night owl, I was ready to turn in about 2 am. Turned down the sheets on the bed and found 2 blood spots on the sheets right where you lay about the middle of the back area. Called MOD and was told that I would be given another room. After packing up and waiting 10 min, MOD and security came up and looked at the blood stains. Moved me to a suite and I told MOD that I would like to talk with GM and I was told that the GM "does not meet with guest's". I advised MOD that it was imperative that I speak with him. After getting resettled I finally got to sleep at about 3:30 and got about 4hrs sleep. Got a message from the GM to call him on my return to the hotel. When I returned to the hotel I met with the GM and found that they outsource the laundry services. I got the standard apology and was offered the free upgrade and 6000 SPG points. Also that he would "take care of me" if I choose to return the the hotel.
Old May 14, 2009, 7:35 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
I like the Palace Hotel, but I do not like the beds there. I have stayed in three rooms over the past month and the beds were all too soft and bouncy for my comfort.

I also did not receive more than a one room category upgrade from what I booked during my visits. I was upgraded from Grand Deluxe to Junior Suite last week. I had hoped for a corner room suite on Market Street.
Lack of suite upgrade was not due to a booked hotel. Last week I estimate there was less than 10% occupancy at the hotel based on my newspaper count at 6am.

I have received better upgrades at the other Starwood hotels in San Francisco.

The hotel has old style charm, but not much of a view from most rooms as the Palace has only 8 room floors compared to the towers at the other Starwood Hotels downtown (except Fisherman's Wharf - 4 stories).

The historic section of the St. Francis is similar to the Palace. The experience all depends on the room category you receive. There are rooms at both the old St. Francis and the Palace that have only plain brick wall views. I was actually given one of these rooms as a platinum member for a stay last month at the Palace Hotel.

Last edited by satori; May 14, 2009 at 7:42 am
Old May 16, 2009, 8:37 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Just to provide some balance to the discussion, I spent four nights at the Palace earlier this month. As an SPG Plat, I was upgraded to a Superior Suite. (Earlier stays were not upgraded to anything other than a larger room.)

No cleanliness issues at all -- as a matter of fact, everything was spotless. And my pre-arrival request to have an in-room coffee maker, and both the WSJ and USA Today delivered every morning, was honored without any follow up.

The only drawback to the Palace is the extremely expensive food (high cost, small portions) in the Pied Piper bar, but it is a hotel bar, and there are much better options just a few steps away.

Considering this is directly on the BART line from SFO (Montgomery stop), it's very convenient to/from the airport with under 30 minutes en route.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 5:09 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
My wife and I had a very good stay here over Memorial Day weekend.

We had a 2 night stay. The first night was paid at $125 on a Thursday night. Great deal. The second night was a free weekend night from the current promo.

I called before arrival to ask about directions from the airport. The location is very convenient for the BART to Montgomery Station. The clerk I spoke with was very nice and pleasant. It came up that we were coming for our anniversary weekend (I was happy to get it in there). I was told in advance that we had been upgraded to a suite.

Upon arrival late at night, the reception desk had no trouble combining the reservations. Turns out we were upgraded to a Superior Suite, well described here.

Contrary to others, I enjoyed the tasteful decor and furnishings - not modern, but charming. High ceilings, and great rounded windows too. The manager had left chocolate dipped strawberries for us with a note wishing us a happy anniversary. Nice touch!

The hotel overall is beautiful, including the breakfast room off the lobby, as mentioned above. We didn't eat there, though, opting instead for sourdough from Boudin's.

We liked the location a lot. Easy access to streetcars and BART, and walking distance to a whole lot, including Embarcadero, Fisherman's Wharf, and Union Square.

The concierge, Debbie Lew, was very good, though always overwhelmed with guests while we were there. After patient waits, she was great about confirming and canceling dinner reservations. She also called ahead to Sheraton Petaluma (Sheraton) to help us with an issue there. She notified restaurants of our anniversary, which was attentive. My only complaint is that we asked for a dim sum recommendation, and assumed we'd get something great in nearby Chinatown. However, she sent us to an upscale white-linen type place. We should have been more specific - we wanted dirty, authentic, Chinatown. Upon arriving at her recommended venue, we phoned her and she redirected us accordingly.

Overall, a very nice stay. Would choose it again in a second, especially with such a great rate and/or free nights.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium
I stayed there the weekend after Memorial WE, same great rate. I didn't get an upgrade since I checked in too early, around 11:30am.

Andymo's description was pretty spot on. Also public transport was very convenient from the front of the hotel to Fisherman's Wharf. I will say that I was a bit disappointed with the food at the Sunday Jazz Brunch. I found it mediocre and didn't quite live up to being a top brunch place for SF.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 6:08 pm

I'm towards the end of a month long stay (broken up into more than one stay) at the Palace and now that I've stayed in two rooms I'm ready to comment.

I didn't think the sushi restaurant at the hotel would be worth going to (for all you who haven't been). The food was rather average and the prices were significantly higher than they should have been. The other con was the beds. They weren't bad, but they were a little soft for my tastes. Personal preference on that however.

The rooms I have stayed in are king bed. The rooms are nice, however I have never had a view. This is fine with me since I'm never in the room anyway. All in all I have been very happy with my stay at the Palace.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 2:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by andymo99
We should have been more specific - we wanted dirty, authentic, Chinatown. Upon arriving at her recommended venue, we phoned her and she redirected us accordingly.
She probably sent you to Yank Sing, which is considered the best in SF. There is also Tom Kiang out on Geary.

Chinatown is not where you want to go for good dim sum. Maybe dirty dim sum, but the best Chinese restaurants are outside of Chinatown.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 6:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by beachfan
She probably sent you to Yank Sing, which is considered the best in SF. There is also Tom Kiang out on Geary.

Chinatown is not where you want to go for good dim sum. Maybe dirty dim sum, but the best Chinese restaurants are outside of Chinatown.
That was exactly my first thought when I read the post...it only goes to show that "perception" in one eyes and mind can work also work in the reverse.

mike
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:25 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Here is a one minute video I made of glass ceiling and chandeliers of The Garden Court in The Palace Hotel, San Francisco. This is the most prominent feature of the hotel.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 9:56 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by satori
Here is a one minute video I made of glass ceiling and chandeliers of The Garden Court in The Palace Hotel, San Francisco. This is the most prominent feature of the hotel.
Ah yes, the scene of Michael Douglas' grand entrance to his birthday party in The Game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQs1NEMfDRU

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:01 pm

Programs: United Hotcake Preferred
I don't stay at The Palace much (or many other SF hotels for that matter since I live in the area) but I've toured a great many of them and do hold a lot of meetings/event at The Palace. My two cents: The rooms are small-ish but very nice. Street noise is a real problem on the lower floors with "city views." Staff are generally awesome. Tea is quite good but doesn't come close to the Ritz.

Compared to other area hotels, I think it's a pretty great property. It's classic, though it does have its quirks. The Pied Piper is a great bar, as well.

As for the competition. The W properties are not my style so I'm not going to comment on them. The St Regis is nice but not worth the price. And really, who cares about SOMA? It's nice and quite clean but it's soul-less and yuppie (and that's coming from someone who likewise dislikes the Mission in some respects, thank you). The St. Francis is a total wash- it's in purgatory: not old enough to be classic and not new enough to be really nice. Le Meridien is all around very good but The Palace certainly has the better location.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:20 am

Programs: United 1k, American Executive Platinum, Hyatt - Diamond Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Palace hotel is OVER-RATED!!! Poor service.

I wanted to stay in this historic Palace Hotel since I had a couple of free SPG weekend free nights to use. I've stayed at most of the SPG hotels in San Francisco.

Check in was terrible - ended up waiting 15 minutes in line because there was only one person working the front desk. No one would help her. As a platinum member, I am use to getting free upgraded rooms or at least put on the top floor with a view. I was given a honeymoon suite in pH Las Vegas and a suite over looking the La Ramblas in Barcenlona - and this was a total 180.

At the Palace Hotel, I was given a room with NO view, one of the inside rooms. The room was bland, and there was nothing luxurious about it. Since it was a free weekend stay, I guess we didn't complain about it that much since we would be out and about. I also know noticed I was one of the select few on my floor to get a paper, so I know there wasn't that many platinum status members staying at the hotel.

I found out the SF 49ers were having a dinner for the former owner Eddie D that night. I saw former 49ers stars which kinda made my day.

The maid staff was the worst. I even left a good tip for them after my first night. We used up the shampoo, conditioner, and soap and they did NOT replenish it. And as a platinum guest, I didn't even get another free bottle water. How cheap is this hotel??!!

The gym was quite small and they didn't even provide water. At least the Westin SF gives ppl working out bottle water, but NOT this place.

The atrium is nice I will admit. The only thing this hotel has going for them is the name because I will not stay here again nor recommend it. There are plenty of other fine hotels in SF to stay at. Disappointed in the service and room quality.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 9:50 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Alpha, The St. Francis is over 100 years old.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 9:59 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
As noted on the upgrade thread, I was there this past weekend too. I was pretty surprised by the room quality as well - really poor (and I had an upgrade!). Also waited 10-15 minutes at check-in

Originally Posted by albutt27
I wanted to stay in this historic Palace Hotel since I had a couple of free SPG weekend free nights to use. I've stayed at most of the SPG hotels in San Francisco.

Check in was terrible - ended up waiting 15 minutes in line because there was only one person working the front desk. No one would help her. As a platinum member, I am use to getting free upgraded rooms or at least put on the top floor with a view. I was given a honeymoon suite in pH Las Vegas and a suite over looking the La Ramblas in Barcenlona - and this was a total 180.

At the Palace Hotel, I was given a room with NO view, one of the inside rooms. The room was bland, and there was nothing luxurious about it. Since it was a free weekend stay, I guess we didn't complain about it that much since we would be out and about. I also know noticed I was one of the select few on my floor to get a paper, so I know there wasn't that many platinum status members staying at the hotel.

I found out the SF 49ers were having a dinner for the former owner Eddie D that night. I saw former 49ers stars which kinda made my day.

The maid staff was the worst. I even left a good tip for them after my first night. We used up the shampoo, conditioner, and soap and they did NOT replenish it. And as a platinum guest, I didn't even get another free bottle water. How cheap is this hotel??!!

The gym was quite small and they didn't even provide water. At least the Westin SF gives ppl working out bottle water, but NOT this place.

The atrium is nice I will admit. The only thing this hotel has going for them is the name because I will not stay here again nor recommend it. There are plenty of other fine hotels in SF to stay at. Disappointed in the service and room quality.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Stayed here recently. Love this place.

Staff was gracious and professional, room was large and the hallways are grand.

The bathroom could use a little revamp (probably the most dated/old part of the room).

I'd stay here over the W. Less attitude and much better service. Plus the whole place is a lot larger and less angular, metallic, and overly modern.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.