Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoyed LT Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by albutt27
The maid staff was the worst. I even left a good tip for them after my first night. We used up the shampoo, conditioner, and soap and they did NOT replenish it. And as a platinum guest, I didn't even get another free bottle water. How cheap is this hotel??!! .
We were there this past weekend as well, and were given the option of a King Deluxe on Market St or a Jr. Suite on the backside, but with two doubles. The wife definitely did not want Market Street side, so we made do with a comfy double (which I doubt I will ever do again, though an awesome very late night dinner in Oakland Chinatown also contributed to a restless night's sleep).

Our toilet paper roll at check in was maybe an eighth of a roll , and of course, there was no extra roll anywhere to be found in the room so we had to ask for another. Not that big of a deal, but something that shouldn't happen. This also occurred last week at the Seattle Sheraton. I understand the conservation part of it, but not having the extra roll available does make it a slight pain.

Parked behind the hotel in the Hearst Garage for only $20/night. Hotel staff service was fine, but nothing extraordinary - though I can't complain much with the $119 rate I got........
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:22 am
tnw

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt
My husband and I checked in on Friday afternoon using 2 of our free weekend nights. No line at check-in which was nice. Told we were upgraded to a Deluxe room facing Market Street. We have stayed here many times and this was by far, the smallest room we have ever stayed in. We were offered our choice of Platinum Amenity and a late check out without asking which is always appreciated. We were also asked which newspaper we would like in the morning. We never received the newspaper, but housekeeping did a good job. The amenity points have not posted, but will wait a few more days until I try to chase them down.

The hotel was quite busy with the special 49er Dinner and a large wedding on Saturday night.

It sounds like there were a lot of SPG members using up their free nights before they expire.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:45 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA 2P, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Beware of newspaper charges

I recently experienced a sketchy billing practice at this property.

I stayed at the hotel twice recently on free summer night promo awards. At check-in, I was asked which newspaper I prefer, and I requested the New York Times. When reviewing my credit card statement some weeks later, I noticed two small charges from the hotel, one for each stay. I called the billing department, and was told that the charges were for the newspapers, because the NYT is not the default paper the hotel provides. I was not informed of the charge at check-in, and have receipts for both stays, neither of which shows the newspaper charge.

The hotel's billing department promised to refund the charges or get back to me. Since neither of these has occurred, I have an inquiry into Amex to have the charges removed. The amounts in question are minimal, but I have a problem with the practice of imposing undisclosed charges after check-out.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 5:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
We just got back from a great experience at this hotel. The desk clerk was very efficient, friendly, and helpful. He asked about the Platinum amenity without any prompting. We had already been preemptively upgraded, and the suite was very nice (on the back side of the hotel). The concierge was very knowledgeable and helpful. We couldn't find a coffee maker in the room, but that was about the only anomaly of the stay. Plus, this is the only hotel we've ever stayed in that understands how to set up a widescreen television set properly.

We will gladly return here, especially when the rates are so favorable (they were a Starpick this week, but we have the AAA rate which was $5 more just for the cancelability as insurance.)
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:57 pm

The hotel is haunted... a lady haunts men in the hotel, it's true, just ask the concierge.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Good thing my wife was there to protect me!
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:33 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Heading there tomorrow. Anyone knows if there are lots of strikers in front of the hotel. Or if they have a side entrance?
Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:48 am

Programs: UA1k3.05mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
There are a lot of pickets and they are noisy. The side entrances are the Market St. entrance (which may be closed and is also picketed), and the entrance on the alley past the New Montgomery entrance. The street is Jessie Street.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:11 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
I booked my colleague here for a conference Nov 14 (others nearby were sold out), he hated every minute of it except the lobby, said it was one of the 5 worst hotel stays he'd ever experienced. No toilet paper and took 2 hours to get any, dilapidated room, etc. etc. It was $319 a night booking with Amex FHR (big mistake). Neither the hotel nor Starwood offered anything after informing them of the experience.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:46 pm

Any Recent Stayz...
Old Jan 20, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold, 1.8MM; Marriott lifetime Titanium
I stayed on 01/10 and was upgraded to a Grand Deluxe room facing Market. The room was fine, not great. Hardly any towels were in the room, and I called to have more brought up and they arrived hours later (2 bath towels, no extra handtowels or washcloths..) Other than that, the front desk was friendly and nothing else of note.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:50 pm

I stayed on 01/09 and was upgraded to a Superior Suite. The only problem I had during my stay was during check-in. I had booked at a much lower rate then what was showing in their system. After finally 30 minutes they decided to give me my rate. So for my troubles the hotel decided to send me a nice fruit amenity. The room was very nice appointed. Separate Bedroom with the Parlor. Every person i encountered during my stay was nice...Would I stay here again yes.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 6:51 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Stayed her for one night this past weekend.
I now know to not stay here again(third stay in five years) and will stay at Le Meridian instead.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 9:53 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
Had a good rate of 105 for 4 nights. Was upgraded to a Junior Suite after some prompting. The gym is actually not too bad (with a nice size pool area).

The hotel is located right outside of the BART/Muni station(Montgomery). There is a Starbucks behind the hotel, a McD to the East and a decent Japanese (though pricey) restaurant on the side. At the concierge desk, there are 15% off coupons for that restaurant.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 6:33 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Smile Review& pics of “Royal stay” in The Palace hotel San Francisco.

For pics: http://travel.webshots.com/album/576883741ldnVEz

During the end of December 2009 I stayed in the Palace hotel, after my stay in the St. Regis. When entering the Palace hotel I noticed the striking difference between the two hotels. From the modern style of the St. Regis into the classic and beautiful grandeur of The Palace hotel.

When I checked in, my junior suite was not ready. I did not like it, but this can happen. I left my luggage in the hotel and went to the Golden Gate! When I was walking near Mason Fort, the reception called me. My room was ready.

At first I did not like the suite. I guess the difference between the two hotels was too striking. And, no view from my suite. But in no time my impression changed and I started to like this hotel very much.
I did try to change to another room with a better view. The reception told me however this was a No View hotel! The reception was very helpful, but the rooms they offered seemed to be inferior to my suite. So I decided to stay in my junior suite.

The junior suite was spacious and offered a sitting area, a work desk, a comfy Kingbed and smallish and stylish batroom. The modern deskchair felt dissonant in the classic interior of suite.
A coffeemachine was placed upon my request, I was happy with this machine.

The bathtub was not deep and placed rather low on the ground. It was strange after the deep bathtub in the St. Regis. The bath amenities of Gilchrist & Soames ( London, England) were great.
I noticed no slippers, when I called housekeeping it appeared the hotel did not offer their guest slippers. Very strange in my opinion. Well I was happy they offered the bathrobe.

I noticed the furniture in my room and the public spaces in this large hotel were very well maintained. It was a pleasure to be in these areas and I have enjoyed the beauty of these surroundings.

The breakfast buffet in the Garden Court was heaven for me, after the disappointing a la carte menu in the St. Regis San Francisco. The buffet offered a small selection of healthy products, and a wide range of more or less unhealthy (fat/high calorie products).
I could order my cold cut meat without any problems here. I was a feast to have breakfast in the Garden Court and I enjoyed it very much. Service was professional and friendly without any hassle and difficulties, compared with the St. Regis. And I liked the classical music here!

One negative experience during breakfast. I was very cold, since the doors of the main entrance were just opposite the Garden Court. And the winter temperatures arrived in the Court when the doors kept on turning with arriving guests. The doors blowed the cold air inside.

The concierge in the Palace hotel appeared to be just as helpful as in the St. Regis. Friendly and professional.

The fitness area was very small with a limited number of machines. No supervisor in this area. Several children entered this area, sometimes with their mother.
The beautiful indoor pool turned into a children’s pool and I was not really pleased with the parents who acted as if this was indeed a children’s pool. So I left after a short time.

The hotel does not offer hotelguests free use of computers/internet. Except for the Wifi in some corridors.
I did make an effort to use them in the businesscenter. It was a long walk before I could find it. At the end it appeared I needed a code / money. Since I had neither of this, I went back to my room without results.

The hotel does not offer a main restaurant, the bar offers a sort of limited barmenu in a area next to the bar. The bar is cozy and I had a nice coffee break here. Service is friendly and efficient.

Would I come back in The Palace hotel San Francisco? SURE!!
In general I had a more then perfect stay in this hotel. My room was spacious and comfortable, the personnel was friendly, the maintenance of the interior of the hotel seemed to be very well, and the breakfast was great.
I would be pleased if the hotel could offer a wider selection of healthy breakfast products, offer their guest a warmer breakfast area in the Garden Court in the winter, offer their guest slippers, offer their guest free use of computers/internet ( like SheratonLink).

For pics: http://travel.webshots.com/album/576883741ldnVEz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.