Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2008, 4:52 pm

Programs: UAL 1P, SPG Platinum
Blah Staff, Cool Rooms, Tiny Bathrooms

Just qualified for Platinum on nights (yikes) and was excited for my first night in the lap of luxury. Mrs. Steve53178 and I decided against paying the 50+/night for parking and parked 2 blocks away for 30. We lugged suitcases over to the hotel and to the front desk, and checked in. The staff was very mediocre at best. They told us they couldn't find the reservation, then quickly found it, then couldn’t get the room they thought they had because it wasn't clean (it was 5:30 pm). We lost the person who was checking in for 5-10 minutes as she went into the back, then came out and mumbled for a while before she told us our room was ready. We then asked her for directions to shopping (we momentarily forgot the name of Union Square so we had to describe it to her). She had no idea where any shopping was and didn’t even ask any other staff or tell us to ask the concierge for directions.

Befuddled and running late, we went to our room - a pretty cool two room superior suite. We loved the bed, the flat screen TVs, and the high ceilings. The tiny bathroom left much to be desired. But, we were thrilled with the upgrade. I called the concierge and got directions to Union Square. All in all, the concierge made up for most of the front desk staff's shortcomings.

Before we checked out the next day, I realized I was never asked about my platinum amenity. I called the Platinum line, spoke to a very nice gentleman who discovered that my reservation indicated I was gold when my profile said I was platinum. He fixed my future reservations and told me to come down to the front desk to ask for my amenity. The front desk staff was a little less than friendly and non-apologetic for the snafu, but I got my 500 points.

All in all, the rooms were very cool, the bathrooms tiny, and the staff was hit or miss. I guess I can't complain, given the room rate and upgrade.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 11:44 am

Poor platinum recognition at Palace -- upgrade available for cash only

I wanted to report a recent 4 night stay at the Palace in San Francisco. I had picked it based in part on the good reports of platinum upgrades reported on this thread. My experience was the opposite.

I asked about an upgrade for 2 of the 4 days I was there. They said they were fully booked (and I can understand not getting an upgrade if that is the case) but also said a suite upgrade would be available for an extra $100 / night. The platinum concierge said that this is acceptable as the available suite was a speciality select and not a standard suite. While technically in accordance with the starwood rules it was very annoying to be offered an upgrade for cash only.

The location is excellent for getting to and from the airport via BART. The hotel is right next to the BART station and the one way fare is slightly over five dollars.

The lobby is very nice but the rooms don`t seem up to the same standard. There were also some service issues as having to wait for a fair amount of time for a bell hop to show up to return stored luggage. Overall it doesn`t seem quite up to the standard of a true luxury hotel.

The offered platinum amenity was points or $15 off breakfast. I wasn`t too impressed by the hotel and will probably stay elsewhere next time I`m in San Francisco. I was attending a conference at the fairmont but picked the palace out of loyality to starwood but likely won`t do so next time. From what I could see of the fairmont it looked like quite a nicer hotel than the palace.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 2:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, United Silver
SF Palace

Just finished a 2 night stay at the Palace—generally had a good stay, though something about the place makes me prefer the Westin Market or the St. Regis. Checkin was a breeze, clerk told me not to bother with the suite upgrade as the king room they pre-booked me into was nicer. Now, I’ve heard people complain about bit hallways before (and I haven’t had much sympathy), but this place is ridiculous—the hallways felt like a football field. Still, room was nice and the even though there was a flatscreen TV in the room, the décor still felt a bit, well, old for me. Not to say that it was shabby by any stretch, but the drapery, carpeting, bedposts, bathroom, and everything else about the room said 1920’s. Maybe that’s part of the charm (I felt the same thing about the St. Regis DC), but just didn’t feel comfortable to me.

Anyway, the concierge staff was a marked and welcome improvement over the Westin Market Street. Good recommendations, and good follow up. Listening to Blaine berate the restaurant matre’ds over the phone as he made reservations made me cringe (lord knows what my mother would say if I EVER treated anyone like that), but there was a table waiting for me when I walked in, so I guess if it gets results. . . .

Checkout, however, was problematic. There was no bill slipped under my door waiting for me. Since I was running a bit late (8AM meeting), I called down and asked if they could send up a copy of my bill. 25 Minutes later, no bill, though a second call brought up a bellman with a copy. Opening it up at the office later, I noticed an unfamiliar charge--$2 from the gift shop. When I checked in, I was given my choice of newspapers—I chose my local east coast paper. What they didn’t tell me was that if I didn’t choose USA today, I would be charged for it. They removed the charge from my bill after a bit of haggling, and then volunteered to e-mail me a new zero balanace statement. No problem, but the first three times they sent me the new bill it contained the extra charge. Finally, attempt four brought the correct balance.

Lastly, I couldn’t help but also notice the conspicuous lack of door staff—checking in, checking out, and in between, I got my own door, hailed my own cabs, and handled my own bags. I’m a business traveler, so I’m used to doing it, but I couldn’t help but wonder if a hotel that’s supposed to be about conspicuous glitz should be understaffed at the point of first and last impression.

All in all nothing truly wrong with the hotel. It just didn’t feel like it was up to standards that the luxury collection sets for itself. Sure, it checked the boxes, but I didn’t really feel much longing to return upon check out. . .

Last edited by fflier_9999; Jul 10, 2008 at 2:37 pm
Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:36 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by fflier_9999
All in all nothing truly wrong with the hotel. It just didn’t feel like it was up to standards that the luxury collection sets for itself. Sure, it checked the boxes, but I didn’t really feel much longing to return upon check out. . .
We just spent a night at the Palace on Saturday night and this seems to sum it up. Nothing particularly spectacular or awful about our stay, but we probably won't be back. Check-in was awkward with no clear line in the lobby and our attempt at using Gold check-in line was thwarted by another guest who came running across the lobby yelling, "I'm next!" The guy at the front desk seemed to pretend not to know what was going on and I let it go since she was twice my size.

Upon asking, we were upgraded from a Superior to Deluxe room, which might be slightly larger based on the room map. Rooms are typical historical hotel fare, but nothing amazing. The room was interior facing, which kept things nice and quiet (except for the very loud slamming doors in the hall).

Having just stayed at the LM 2 weeks ago, we much prefer that property and will likely stay there on future visits.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:41 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Had a good stay here recently. Prior to my arrival I received an email confirmation that I'd been upgrade to a junior suite. I like getting those emails as saves me from asking at check-in.

Used the valet. Had a nice rate, so when I figured that in, it wasn't bad in total.

There were plenty of valets out front and they immediately attended to my car and door needs. No one at the registration desk but me and a few pleasant agents.

Junior suite was nice (larger room with nice sitting area) and no signs of wear.

I like Le Meridien quite a bit, but I also like the Palace for its Old World charm. And I found service to be quite good.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 7:45 pm
tnw

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
Check-in was awkward with no clear line in the lobby and our attempt at using Gold check-in line was thwarted by another guest who came running across the lobby yelling, "I'm next!" The guy at the front desk seemed to pretend not to know what was going on and I let it go since she was twice my size.
I do like staying at the Palace, but I totally agree with you regarding check-in. Although there is a sign for Platinum check-in, you sure wouldn't know it from the way things are handled. A large group gathers in no particular order and when the agent at the Plat desk looks up, he usually just says "next" to whoever is standing in the large line that has gathered. They never seem to acknowledge the people standing close to the Platinum check-in sign. Why bother to have it? Why not have it separated off a bit?
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by tnw
I do like staying at the Palace, but I totally agree with you regarding check-in. Although there is a sign for Platinum check-in, you sure wouldn't know it from the way things are handled. A large group gathers in no particular order and when the agent at the Plat desk looks up, he usually just says "next" to whoever is standing in the large line that has gathered. They never seem to acknowledge the people standing close to the Platinum check-in sign. Why bother to have it? Why not have it separated off a bit?
Seems like a velvet rope would smooth things out a bit...
Old Dec 16, 2008, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA: Concierge Key; Air China: Gold; Marriott/SPG: Lifetime Plat; Hyatt: Globalist; Hilton: Diamond
Not particularly happy.

I don't know about how they treat plt people in this property, but definitely don't expect anything being gold.

Okay, I know I am only gold and not entitled to any suit upgrade. However, I would really appreciate that the receptionist would at least being honest and put me to the SPG level when I politely asking for any possible upgrade. Instead, he lied about that the hotel is pretty full and so on and on, while I showed him the booking website showing lots of availability on my lap top.

Honesty is a virtue, but probably not in the hotel.

Stay away from it.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I didn't think this hotel had an SPG floor. Is that what you meant by "level"
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
I was there this week -- comments are generally in line, but I'd add another tidbit. I found hot water deficient one night of my stay (12/17) and when I called down to complain, was told there were doing work and it would be down all night. No apology or excuse, hardly luxury hotel material.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 5:15 pm

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
Any recent updates? I'm taking advantage of the United sale for 98 all in and have been wanting to stay here. Appreciate any recent update!s

Last edited by singtx; Mar 9, 2009 at 5:17 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 9, 2009, 9:08 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Stayed there for one night a couple weeks ago booking the starpicks rate. Got upgraded to a deluxe suite. It was a corner room overlooking New Montgomery Street. The public areas are nice and the staff at check in was very friendly. The upgrade happened the morning of the day of arrival and the key package was pre-made and ready when I got there. The public areas are nice and the location is convenient. I prefer more modern hotels but for one night at a very discounted price, it was a good deal.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 7:28 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I stayed there last month and loved it! As a Plat I was upgraded to a corner suite and I was stoked to sit at the window and watch the Chinese New Year's Parade from a perfect seat.

I also loved the old world charm of the place. I woke up in my four poster bed and thought for a minute I was back in London at the Park Lane. I was very impressed by the staff and the suite. Also, I found it was a nice place to come and go from.

I really liked this hotel, it's charm and beauty made my trip a better one!
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Thumbs down Filthy

Last weekend I stayed for a quick one night stay at the Palace Hotel. Like any period hotel, there are a lot of finishing touches that show their age, like baseboards, light switches etc. The Junior Suite I was upgraded to as a Platinum SPG member smelled kind of stale, and although it didn't look to bad, it did show its age.

My main concern with the hotel was with the glasses I found in the bathroom. There were both the upside down glass ones, as well as the wrapped plastic glasses. I could see from a couple of feet away while washing my hands that the glass ones were absolutely filthy.

Pictures can be seen here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darrenm...7615259308500/

I was heading out for dinner after a quick change, and I took one glass down to the front desk. I showed the gentleman who checked me in, and the Night Manager was called over to look at the glass. He genuinely looked concerned, and said he would have housekeeping take care of it right away, and he would also be bringing it up with the Housekeeping Manager.

I mentioned that I never use the glasses, but wondered what other corners had been cut in the cleaning of my room. Had the sheets been changed, was the bathroom floor washed, and did I have clean towels? I also mentioned the bad press that Starwood had received in the past regarding glassware, and was surprised this was still an issue, especially at a Hotel that calls itself Luxury Collection. I indicated that I would never stay there again.

The Manager then offered to send something up to the room to make up for it, and to hopefully change my mind about the hotel for a future visit, I declined, and he then offered to post some points to my account. I agreed that that would be OK.

Well, here I am a week later without the aforementioned points posting. I will be sending an email to the hotel and Corporate Customer Service tomorrow. It is one thing to have a problem at a hotel. It is another to try and bribe the guest, but then to not follow-through with the offer is ridiculous, and now shares this story with potentially thousands of others.

If I were you, I would choose a different property in San Francisco, even though the Palace does have a great location, and hopefully you will have a better experience than I did. Next time, I will be staying somewhere else.

d.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 2:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
In over 15 stays in the last 10 years, I've never had a cleanliness problem.

I agree your example was gross, but I'm going back Wednesday and still confident.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.