Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2006, 3:15 pm

I've said it elsewhere on this board and I'll say it again here, but we found the service at the Palace far exceeded any expectations that we might have had. Keep in mind we were on a severely reduced rate and have no status, and you'll understand why I think this hotel is great in terms of service and would stay here again in a heartbeat without ever even trying the other *wood properties in the area. The hotel is also very convenient to just about everything -- we walked pretty much everywhere.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
YIKES! I'd rather hear finger nails being screeched down a blackboard than hearing the word "Frisco!"

I have always been happy at the Palace. It's old-world elegant. It has old-world charm. I'd stay there any chance I could.

But, it's not the property for you if you like modern swank. Try the W; it's been a great property, too. I have not stayed at the St Regis; maybe next trip to The City. St Francis has some "old world" charm in the original building (I have not stayed in this building, but have heard it is not nearly as upgraded as the Palace) or for "high-rise" style, stay in the St Francis tower. Great views from there!
Old Jan 23, 2006, 8:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Stay far far away from the Palace Hotel, it was the worst expereince I had ever had. I would definately recommend staying at the Westin St. Francis of the W Hotel anyday!

-Vincent
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Cellisvae
I was there last weekend. I had doubts before staying because the physical structure is so old, but the hotel interior is done very nicely...lots of light and bright colors. Overall - very palacial.
On a worldwide basis, the Palace is a quite young building, as are most buildings in San Francisco. Just curious if you'd find a building 100 years old in London an "old physical structure?"

Overall, I find the hotel "perfectly not bad", but not deserving of a LC branding. If they polished up their act by 10 to 20%, they might be there. Their rates speak for themselves, as it is often cheaper than the W or St. Francis.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:51 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Overall, I find the hotel "perfectly not bad", but not deserving of a LC branding. If they polished up their act by 10 to 20%, they might be there. Their rates speak for themselves, as it is often cheaper than the W or St. Francis.

Nearly always cheaper than those two place is more like it ... You get what you pay for!

-Vincent
Old Jan 29, 2006, 1:46 am

I love the Palace, and it's got wonderful High Tea in the garden room. It's expensive but worthy every penny. I live in SF and have sent lots of friends to the Palace, who have loved it.
Old May 14, 2006, 12:35 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Great Stay

Staying at the Palace this weekend on one of their special 'weekend rates." Had a wonderful check-in with Bryan who could not have been nicer. I have a suite on the 6th floor that has a large living room and then a separate bedroom/bathroom. Two robes in the closet, nice amenities, two hair dryers. Got to my room and there was a plate full of cookies and some milk waiting for me.

I love the look and feel of this hotel - the greenhouse is really lovely.

Had turndown service offered each night and the concierge desk and the maid service were impeccable! ^ I would definitely stay here again - the staff is really top notch!
Old Aug 20, 2006, 11:19 am

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
The hotel is old fashioned but well kept up. Great room service food.

Standard rooms are very small but I am 5/5 with getting suite upgrades since I was SPG Plat. 2 of the suites were enormous, 3 were merely good sized. I think this really makes the difference for me...I would not want to stay in a standard/deluxe room there but I really look forward to a stay in one of their suites.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dankyone
Standard rooms are very small but I am 5/5 with getting suite upgrades since I was SPG Plat. 2 of the suites were enormous, 3 were merely good sized. I think this really makes the difference for me...I would not want to stay in a standard/deluxe room there but I really look forward to a stay in one of their suites.
Agreed. I was there last night and had one of the larger suites (the clerk said the "largest" non-specialty suite). I'd say I get the smaller (quite ample) suite 75% of the time, with a grand deluxe room the other 25%. The grand deluxe rooms aren't bad, not great, but the standard rooms, as I walk by them with their doors open, look pathetically small.

The upgrade %, along with unbeatable BART proximity is why I've shifted many of my SF stays from the StF to the Palace.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 7:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Agreed. I was there last night and had one of the larger suites (the clerk said the "largest" non-specialty suite). I'd say I get the smaller (quite ample) suite 75% of the time, with a grand deluxe room the other 25%. The grand deluxe rooms aren't bad, not great, but the standard rooms, as I walk by them with their doors open, look pathetically small.

The upgrade %, along with unbeatable BART proximity is why I've shifted many of my SF stays from the StF to the Palace.
Try the St. Regis on an SPG50 award some time. $279...if you're paying anything close to that at the Palace, you might like the St. Regis even better.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:14 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
I had a horrible experience at this hotel. The front desk staff were uneducated about SPG Plat/Amex Cent benefits, room service was VERY slow. Was assured by SPG Concierge the night before that I would be upgraded because the hotel was wide open, but at checkin I was stuck in a tiny little closet room. I think this hotel room was the same size, if not smaller, than my dorm room at college

I did end up getting 12K Starpoints for my troubles, but I had to fight with the actg dept for a refund for my slow room service. Took over 2 months for them to process it, even with the manager telling them to process. Never going back there again no matter how cheap the rate is, I will be staying at either The W/Crowne Plaza/Ritz/Westin/Mandarin Oriental next time I go into the city.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 7:38 pm

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
Happened across this old thread...

The buffet in the Garden Court at the Palace SF is the best breakfast I have ever had in a Starwood hotel in the US...they charge about $25 but you pay as much to have coffee and orange juice in your room so anyone staying there should take advantage.
Old May 31, 2007, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Arrow The Palace Hotel, San Francisco (Master Thread)

Hi,
I'm spending the 4th of July week in San Francisco before heading to AKL. I was looking at rates, and the Palace Hotel has some affordable ones (compared to the St. Regis/W). It also looks nice in the photos.

Has anyone stayed there recently? What is the overall impression of the hotel? The location? Upgrade chances?

Thanks in advance.

---

P.S. Yes, I searched.
Old May 31, 2007, 3:23 pm

Programs: United 2 million lifetime Marriott Titanium LiCo Plat Hertz Plat spg plat former Co Chairmans Circle
I have stayed there and it is quiet and very nice. The furnishings are like being at your grandmother's house but the lobby is beautiful. If you like a quiet nice place, stay there
Old May 31, 2007, 3:50 pm

I've stayed at the hotel a number of times and have enjoyed it as well. I too felt that some of the furniture felt almost like antiques, but that's the look they're trying to achieve. Overall, a good experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.