Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Various questions about points/nights for multiple rooms [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Various questions about points/nights for multiple rooms [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, LT Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I have also received credit for 2 rooms booked at the same hotel. One time one of my rooms did not credit and a Rewards rep forced the stay into the system. Though I think that technically it is not supposed to count.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 1:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA EXP, SPG Plat
Yes you can. I get it rountinely. I book one room in my name, then book another room in a guests name. I pay for both rooms. I get credit for both rooms. It has worked every time for me in RI's, CY's, and FS Marriotts.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum Member, Starwood, Hilton Honors
In addition, I have booked for colleagues who are attending conferences. I booked the reservation under my name and add the colleagues' names to the reservations, even when I'm not with the traveling party. I receive points every time up to three rooms.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest, Kimpton InTouch
Originally Posted by pinniped
Is it possible that you didn't get those RI nights because you went over some sort of maximum stay length for earning points?
Nope. I called MR and the CSR I spoke with stated that my RI stay tried to post to my account, but failed to because of my one night stay at the FS Marriott. The CSR offered to delete my one night stay and manually add my RI stay, which I gladly accepted.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:46 am

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
The reason I'm bumping this is that this issue irks me frequently (I travel with the family all the time) and no one really answered the question.

Perhaps socrates or Chris might?

What is the thinking behind awarding only 1 night credit no matter how many rooms you book? Surely the guy who books out 50 rooms twice a year is just as valuable a customer to Marriott as the 100 night platinum?
Old Oct 17, 2007, 7:43 am

Programs: Bonvoy (Titanium) . Delta (Platinum)
I would think the person booking 50 rooms twice a year is likely getting a significant room block discount, if he personally is paying for them. So why should he be entitled to the same benefits? He will get a significant discount and still get all the points.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 7:46 am

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by defiance96
I would think the person booking 50 rooms twice a year is likely getting a significant room block discount, if he personally is paying for them. So why should he be entitled to the same benefits? He will get a significant discount and still get all the points.
OK I used an extreme example...the 75 night guy vs. the 3 room x 25 night guy (paying the same types of rates).
Old Oct 17, 2007, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
What about on the SAME night

Having one room each at two different properties?
Old Oct 17, 2007, 9:44 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I think the idea here is to award Marriott guests who are frequent guests. Buying 25 rooms 3x / year does not constitute frequency. Buying 1 room 75x/year does consitutue frequency.

That is the logic behind this policy.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by Cargojon
I think the idea here is to award Marriott guests who are frequent guests. Buying 25 rooms 3x / year does not constitute frequency. Buying 1 room 75x/year does consitutue frequency.

That is the logic behind this policy.
Yes, and what about when a person is traveling for business and books one room for themself and one room or more for an employee or two, or on a leisure trip for a family member or two?

After all, there is a promotion bonus for booking a block of rooms for a meeting, so why wouldn't Marriott want to reward a MR member properly for a MODERATE number of rooms, say three or less, booked on one MR number? I understand the rule, and have long been aware of it, but it has never made sense to me, and it is anti-loyalty, instead of pro-loyalty, which is what MR is supposed to be all about.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 6:46 am

Night credits for booking multiple rooms

On several occasions I've booked multiple rooms (from 2 - 4) on my Marriott Visa, checked in to all the rooms at once (so I was the one getting all the keys, and not in any way hiding the fact that the other rooms were for family and friends), and then performed the check out of all the rooms myself, too, making sure the charges stayed on my Marriott card.

Since all the charges are on my card, I'm getting the bonus points from that, but it's unclear to me what is supposed to happen with the night credits. Sometimes this results in me getting credit for everyone's nights (2 rooms for 2 nights = 4 nights credited to me), sometimes I only get the nights for my specific room. Once I was told that I would get credit for up to three of the rooms, but not more.

Is there a standard policy for how this is handled? Which nights should I be credited for? If it really is just the nights from my particular room, that's fine, but since I've had several different outcomes, I don't want to be losing the extra nights if I am able to claim them...and conversely, I don't want to try to fight for the other nights if I'm not entitled to them.

thanks.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 6:56 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
The policy is you should only be getting night credit for one room. The rational is that you, personally, only stayed in one room. So you should only be getting one night's credit. You can get points for upto 3 rooms per night though. This means there is still benefit for you to have your MR# associated with all the rooms you are paying for, upto 3 of course. You just won't get night credit for the other rooms.

But as you state, sometimes hotels seem to mess it up and give night credit for more than one room. If that happens, smile, you got lucky. If it doesn't, that is per the rules, so don't get angry.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 7:02 am
pgh

Programs: Marriott Plat, CO Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Depends on the brand

I had this happen years ago and called elite cs line for the definitive answer.

I was told that FS properties earn you points for up to three rooms and LS properties earn points and nights for up to three rooms.

This has continued to be my experience.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 7:06 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
You get Marriott Visa points credit for everything charged to your Visa card.

You get stay points credit for up to 3 rooms but you must make arrangements for payment of all rooms on a consolidated bill, which should be requested at time of hotel check-in. Quite often you can still call MR and get them to fix it if you neglected to do this, or if they happened to credit the 4th room by mistake and then not credit the combined 3 rooms. Marriott Rewards is very good about correcting things like this. See Marriott Rewards Terms and Conditions for specifics.

Stay credit is 1 night per night booked regardless of how many rooms you book at the same hotel. If you happened to get more stay credits on occasion then you lucked out. If you have rooms on the same nights at different hotels like a room in the LAX Marriott and the LAX Renaissance then you should get stay credits for both.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 7:40 am

nights

Interesting...so perhaps I just misunderstood the 3 room limit when it was explained to me. Points for 3 rooms, nights for 1. ...but pgh has had multi-night success at the non-full service hotels?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.