Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Barra, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Barra, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:28 am
jk2

Originally Posted by stimpy
My alternative opinion is that La Barra is a much better choice for a family as well as beach relaxing and you can always take a taxi to Ipanema, etc. if you want. It's not that far really.
Thanks!

Do you think that buying access to Club Lounge worth it? Hotel's offer is $51 (per day, I think).
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by jk2
Do you think that buying access to Club Lounge worth it? Hotel's offer is $51 (per day, I think).
Not at all IMHO. You've traveled all the way to Rio, might as well get out and experience the bars and restaurants, which are nice near this hotel.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA/CO, DL
Any updates on this property? I booked 4 nights for the cash + points next month... the other Sheraton Rio has no C + P availability and is 16,000 SPG per night. Other option would to book the JW Marriott with my MR points... but I'm only staying for 4 nights losing out on the 5th night free benefit). Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Downgraded prior to arrival - shady practices at Sheraton Barra (Rio)?

I was planning to stay at the Sheraton Barra in Rio this weekend. Here is the original text from the confirmation email on my original booking:

Room Description
King + Single Sofa Bed
• Executive Suite Non-smoking, Smoke-free
• 48 Sq.m/517 Sq.ft • High-speed Internet For A Fee
• Living Area • Priv Balcony/patio W/tbl&chrs
• Ocean View
I just logged in to my reservation on spg.com and it now reads:

Club floor, non-smoking: 2 Single Beds, Non-smoking, 452 sq ft / 42 m², Continental Brkfst In Club Lng, Club Lounge-free Access, Prime Ocean View, Priv Balcony/patio W/tbl&chrs
I am thinking about finding somewhere else to stay anyway as the location is not ideal, but I'm curious how this could happen and what kind of recourse I have if I do decide to stay. I was never even notified of the room change.

I have friends who just checked in there today as well and were told that internet was not included even though our corporate rate clearly states in the rate description that it is (in Portugese even!).

Aside from the location factor, this all strikes me as a bit dishonest and leading me to book away. Anyone have similar experiences here?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:49 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Did you pay for a suite?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:58 am
tyn

If you originally booked an executive suite, you have a cause for complaint.
If you booked something else and the executive suite was showing up as temporary pre stay upgrade, you don't.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
It was not an upgrade, we specifically chose Exec Suite when booking the room as there wasn't a big difference in rate from the base room. When our friends went to book the same thing about a week later this had changed and there was a significant rate difference, so perhaps this was a rate error when we booked. But there is no question that we booked this room type from the start.

I am probably just going to cancel the reservation, although I'll be sure to alert SPG on their actions.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by daslax
It was not an upgrade, we specifically chose Exec Suite when booking the room as there wasn't a big difference in rate from the base room. When our friends went to book the same thing about a week later this had changed and there was a significant rate difference, so perhaps this was a rate error when we booked. But there is no question that we booked this room type from the start.

I am probably just going to cancel the reservation, although I'll be sure to alert SPG on their actions.
I'd alert them BEFORE you cancel, they may be able to do something
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by daslax

If you don't care about the hotel, just cxl and forget. If you cxl and then pursue with SPG -- just waste of time, you get simply nothing. You must pursue it now. Reservation is a legally binding contract. If prop breaks it, they are supposed to give you an adequate compensation. Even if it was a glitch, it's not your problem -- you paid you $$, so it is yours. It may have been a onetime deeply discounted promo -- how do you care?
If I were you, I'd simply forward your booking confirmation e-mail to property mgr, citing an error. Most likely some unscrupulent agent moved you, or their systems don't map into SPG.com or whatever. They'll move you back.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Medved
If I were you, I'd simply forward your booking confirmation e-mail to property mgr, citing an error. Most likely some unscrupulent agent moved you, or their systems don't map into SPG.com or whatever. They'll move you back.
i agree....this is what i would do....
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
If you BOOKED A SUITE and they downgraded you, this is something that you definitely need to follow up with SPG and the property about!
Old Mar 27, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
SPG members are guaranteed the room type they book (or better) on paid stays. If you don't get what you booked at check in, you are due compensation.

However, the problem with the above is William has stated that the policy is compensation is at the hotel's discretion. At minimum, you deserve the rate difference plus a few points for the inconvenience.

My personal feeling is that is a business has a guarantee and they fail to deliver, the service/product should be free. I would accept nothing less than a full refund OR points equivalent to the suite. That's just my feeling and others on here will completely disagree.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
I had a similar (but not the same situation) at another resort. I booked a standard room but requested a Suite Night upgrade. It was confirmed 5 days out that I received the upgrade and was super excited. Even the morning prior to the flight it was showing as a suite. However, when I checked in I had been downgraded. I understand I didn’t pay for a suite but just left a bad taste in my mouth that you would upgrade a Platinum member (via a suite night award) but then downgrade them when they show up. I was told that it was because someone showed up earlier offering to pay for the room. My response was that they chose money over loyalty. They did make up for it later which is why I am not posting the name of the resort but if you are going to upgrade based on the parameters of the SPG program, don’t downgrade later.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 1:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
I had a similar (but not the same situation) at another resort. I booked a standard room but requested a Suite Night upgrade. It was confirmed 5 days out that I received the upgrade and was super excited. Even the morning prior to the flight it was showing as a suite. However, when I checked in I had been downgraded. I understand I didn’t pay for a suite but just left a bad taste in my mouth that you would upgrade a Platinum member (via a suite night award) but then downgrade them when they show up. I was told that it was because someone showed up earlier offering to pay for the room. My response was that they chose money over loyalty. They did make up for it later which is why I am not posting the name of the resort but if you are going to upgrade based on the parameters of the SPG program, don’t downgrade later.
This is a different issue: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...?highlight=SNA. Still bad but different. It's like getting pre-upgraded from Y to J using certs but them they kick you out. Here is more heinous: OP paid for it!
You pay for J but end up in Y!!!
Old Jun 22, 2013, 11:52 pm

Effective January 1st, 2014, this property will become a Radisson.

Source: http://www.panrotas.com.br/noticia-t...-rj_89553.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.