Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Barra, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Barra, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2007, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I really enjoyed this hotel and Barra in general. As stated above, there are great restaurants nearby, especially Churasscarias. Search through some older threads here for some good recommendations.

I stayed a few days here and a few at the Intercontinental during Carnival. Great time. ^
Old Nov 8, 2007, 11:34 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Ok-so here is my dellima

I want to(have to actually)stay on points.Was hoping for the LM but that is no longer an option

Does either Sheraton have shuttles that will drop me near the Subway?Is the Bus service to/from the Sheraton Barra.

Will be there for 5 nights.

The reviews are big time negative to the Rio Sheraton in tripadvisor.com(which I always read with a rock of salt)and big time ^ positive for the Sheraton Barra-but always with notes regarding how isolated it is.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BigGuy, the taxis are not that expensive. If you want to stay in a nice safe hotel right on the beach, Barra is it. There is a mall and restaurants nearby, but for the rest you will need a taxi. But it is a heck of a lot cheaper than the taxis in Padadena!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 9:06 am

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
I stay each year at the Sheraton Rio and like it but there are no restaurants or shops near by there! However the hotel has decent restaurants, esp the two near the pool.

Does the hotel still have free breakfast for Plats? I am going in January and need to know. I know they closed the SPG lounge but last year breakfast was still offered on the 4th floor where the lounge used to be.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 11:44 am

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
Originally Posted by stimpy
BigGuy, the taxis are not that expensive. If you want to stay in a nice safe hotel right on the beach, Barra is it. There is a mall and restaurants nearby, but for the rest you will need a taxi. But it is a heck of a lot cheaper than the taxis in Padadena!
Can you give a ball-park figure for the cost to go from the Barra to, say, Ipanema? Is "not expensive" $3? $10? more?
Old Nov 18, 2007, 3:22 pm

Appreciate all the timely info. We are looking at going in late Jan. and every little bit helps our planning. Are there any Carnival related activities near the Barra? We are thinking January because I'm thinking point stays during Carnival might be hard to come by but if not we could go in Feb.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used points at Barra during Carnival two years ago. I used some at the IC Rio too. Just plan a couple months in advance.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 2:01 pm

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by rserson
I stayed there last July and, YES, they still have breakfast for Plats on the 4th floor.
If we are talking about the Sheraton BARRA (not the Sheraton RIO), there is no lounge and no free breakfast for Plats.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True there is no lounge at Barra, but I got free breakfast as a Plat on an award stay.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 2:52 pm

I was there five nights on an award, just got home, upgraded to junior suite, breakfast ($35 Real) not included, a supermarket within the gated condo to the right, two OK restaurants within a few blocks to the left, free public 'shopping bus' to huge mall (New York Center - white goods, next to McDonalds, next to H Stern, next to clothes, ... ) and Downtown (I didn't go). Beautiful beach. 30 minutes free internet in lobby. 45 minutes from airport without traffic, taxi 92 Real, shuttle from hotel 15 Real. It rained 4 of the five days, really stormy two of the four, 'unusual' weather.

Sylvia
Old Nov 19, 2007, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Thanks for the report SylviaCaras.
One thing-you mentioned a shuttle to downtown?Do recall anything about the hours that ran?
Old Nov 20, 2007, 3:27 am

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Thanks for the report SylviaCaras.
One thing-you mentioned a shuttle to downtown?Do recall anything about the hours that ran?
It's not downtown Rio. It's a shopping mall called DownTown 10 min. from the hotel. It's fine with many restaurants. The New York Mall referred to is a part of the very large Barra Shopping with restaurants and lots of shops.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 9:32 pm

Stimpy, how far away was Carnival from Barra? I kind of get the impression it's all over the place in Rio. We really would like to see it but my wife is a little nervous about international travel in general. That's why I'd like to ease her into it with the Barra and have a driver into town, at least at first.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The main Carnival event is about a 30 minute taxi ride away. But individual schools run "practice" events all over. When I was at the IC Rio they had one right outside our hotel.

I expect your wife will be happy with Barra as the area inland somewhat resembles a US suburb. And of course the beach is nice.

If you can get her to go to the main event, buy front row box seats in the frisas or see if you can get in a luxury box. Either way you will be protected from the masses. And it's a lot of fun and well worth the expensive price.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Any recent update of the hotel? Will be in Rio later this month and wondering what to expect as a Platium at this hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.