Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Barra, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Barra, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2009, 2:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Originally Posted by TTT103
Thank you for a very detailed review of the hotel. It sounds as though you enjoyed yourself, even after all of the challenges with the room.

A few observations:

1. English is not the native language in Rio, so why would you expect everyone to speak English?

2. If you feel that you did not receive the room type that you reserved (prime ocean versus front/side ocean) simply contact SPG customer service to express your dissatisfaction.

3. Forget about the rating of the hotel being a 5. There is so much subjectivity with the rating system. It's kind of like the hotel being a SPG CAT 4. What does that really mean with all of the SPG inflation that has occurred over the past few years with additional categories and point creeping. The fortunate thing with all of this is that hotels are generally not doing well so I would expect a significant number of declines next year with SPG hotels moving down in CAT's.

4. Next time, spend time enjoying your vacation rather than worrying about the room, upgrades, and gifts. Afterall, how much time do you really spend in your room.
Thanks for your observations!
I always like to share my experiences in a Starwood hotel on this Flyertalksite.

1. Thank you for a very detailed review of the hotel. It sounds as though you enjoyed yourself, even after all of the challenges with the room.
Yep,I did very much. I enjoyed the services and products of the hotel, the beach and Rio! Brazilian people are very warm and friendly, that made my stay in Rio and in the hotel so special!

2. "If you feel that you did not receive the room type that you reserved (prime ocean versus front/side ocean) simply contact SPG customer service to express your dissatisfaction." I have never done this before, I always try to find a solution with the hotel, usually this works. Perhaps I can give it a try.

3 The fortunate thing with all of this is that hotels are generally not doing well so I would expect a significant number of declines next year with SPG hotels moving down in CAT's. Lets hope!

4. "Next time, spend time enjoying your vacation rather than worrying about the room, upgrades, and gifts. Afterall, how much time do you really spend in your room. "
Well I did enjoyed myself very much besides the aspects I have described!
I am sorry if this is not clear in the review. I had a very nice time here after my stay in the Sheraton Rio. The worrying was more a very unpleasant feeling after the confrontation with the supervisor of the frontdesk! It just bothered me.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Just don't understand why any tourist would stay at the Sheraton Barra unless they want to spend their entire time at the New York City Center there.....
Old Aug 1, 2009, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by holtju2
Just don't understand why any tourist would stay at the Sheraton Barra unless they want to spend their entire time at the New York City Center there.....
Well you are assuming I am a tourist who could have stayed the entire time in the New York City Center... Well some tourists would have liked that, nothing wrong with it i.mo. .. Everyone has its own ideas when travelling.though it is not my kind of cup of tea...

Just stayed here for 2 nights, after visiting Rio. In general it was a relaxing stay, the hotel has a fine beach in front of it I also assumed it would be safer in this part of town.
During the weekend you can go by car to the citycenter in app. 25 minutes.
So, when in Rio, I could go here again since now I do know what I can expect.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by ajnaro
It seems to me that anyone who has this sort of an attitude toward hotels may as well as book into a pensão in downtown Rio. It would certainly be much cheaper!
"It seems to me that anyone who has this sort of an attitude toward hotels..."
I am sorry if my review gave you this impression. Have been staying for more than 10 years in Starwood hotels around the world now. I know what I can expect in a Starwood hotel, thats why I stick to them and pay more money for my stays!
Old Aug 1, 2009, 9:15 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by claes059
"It seems to me that anyone who has this sort of an attitude toward hotels..."
I am sorry if my review gave you this impression. Have been staying for more than 10 years in Starwood hotels around the world now. I know what I can expect in a Starwood hotel, thats why I stick to them and pay more money for my stays!
I do not believe that ajnaro's post was directed at you, rather at anyone who would say do not be bothered if some things were wrong with the stay. Rather, I took his post to show respect for you and the excellent report that you gave us.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I do not believe that ajnaro's post was directed at you, rather at anyone who would say do not be bothered if some things were wrong with the stay. Rather, I took his post to show respect for you and the excellent report that you gave us.
Yes, it was more of a jab at me.

My point is that I have seen many people on these boards complain about late check-outs, room locations, platinum gifts, etc. They ruin their first day at a hotel waiting for a room upgrade, visiting the front desk several times, and so on. Granted, I also ask about upgrades at check-in, but I don't lose sleep over it if I'm denied. Furthermore, if it's a late checkout that I desire at a resort, I now simply book an additional night and leave when I so desire. It's not worth the aggravation to check at the front desk on the morning of my departure to see if they can grant a late check-out. I'm not one to waste money, but I also like to minimize the hassles in my life.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103
Yes, it was more of a jab at me.

My point is that I have seen many people on these boards complain about late check-outs, room locations, platinum gifts, etc. They ruin their first day at a hotel waiting for a room upgrade, visiting the front desk several times, and so on. Granted, I also ask about upgrades at check-in, but I don't lose sleep over it if I'm denied. Furthermore, if it's a late checkout that I desire at a resort, I now simply book an additional night and leave when I so desire. It's not worth the aggravation to check at the front desk on the morning of my departure to see if they can grant a late check-out. I'm not one to waste money, but I also like to minimize the hassles in my life.
I get your point (!) and I agree with you to a certain level. Even though you could have noticed in my review that I did enjoy myself! I am not the kind of person who will ruin my stay just because I did not get a gift or a late check-out. I do notice it however and and I do not like it when a hotel does not respect me as a loyal SPG.
For over 10 years I am a loyal SPG Gold, so I do not agree with you that I have to book another night, only for a late check-out. ( depends if this is much later than 4 oclock pm.) If you do not tell the hotel what you expect and do not like, how can the quality of a hotel improve? The hotel needs your feedback to improve. If you do not give it, I think it would be the easy way.
I do hope you get my point ( of view).
And just for the record, the manager of this hotel just mailed me and did thank me for my comments.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 3:31 pm

Thank you for you comment! You are right!
Old Aug 2, 2009, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Nonetheless, at the risk of appearing inconsistent, I also agree with TTT103's view that there's really no point in getting too upset and carrying the whole thing too far.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 11:37 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
The rate between Executive suite and regular prefered room is not much according the SPG site.
Is there big difference between the two for space and view?
Is the executive suite a standard suite for platinum member be upgraded?
Old Aug 3, 2009, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by ajnaro
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Nonetheless, at the risk of appearing inconsistent, I also agree with TTT103's view that there's really no point in getting too upset and carrying the whole thing too far.
Thanks. And I agree.
Although now it seems only the negative aspects of my stay are being underlined in this thread. Please do not forget I did enjoy my stay here, it was relaxing, and I would return. However, I did want to write concerning some experiences I had in this hotel, compared with my experiences in other Starwood hotels around the world, refering to the issues ( bathroom and view) I had in this Starwood hotel.

Last edited by claes059; Aug 3, 2009 at 5:33 am
Old Feb 16, 2010, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Very nice 2 night stay at Sheraton Barra during Carnival

Excellent platinum recognition even on a Cash & Points stay, upgraded without asking to an Executive Suite (Room 1105) overlooking the beach. Room was nicely appointed, only problem was/is a mildew odor somewhere in the bedroom - if I'd planned to spend much time in the room I would have requested a room change, but didn't bother me enough to move.

Staff was friendly and accommodating, clearly wanted to be helpful. Asked for and received 4pm checkout without argument as a recognized Plat benefit, even though the hotel was fully booked (rack rate for the Exec suite during Carnival was about $800 a night) and this is a beachfront resort property. Also given coupons for a couple free pool towels, 2 welcome Caipirinhas, and a "complimentary pressing" that I made no use of.

My only criticism is that, even with good intentions, service is a bit uneven. Bed was properly made but the used bathroom washcloths weren't replaced and the bathmat was missing. There was one complimentary water in the room, not replaced - yet the complimentary fruit and chocolate pudding in the room WAS replaced on day 2. And I was a little frustrated by being unable to get a drink poolside for more than 45 minutes: whoever "my" server was went MIA, but none of the other poolside bar attendants were able to deliver the beer I was asking for. Minor complaints, and mostly due to staff inexperience I suspect.

Read Sweet Willie's trip report for some good details about local services near the hotel - wish I had, I wouldn't have spent $20 for sunblock! - and I agree with his comments on the spa: relaxing but somewhat amateurish masseuse, and no shower or sauna facilities within the Spa (have to use the "men's health club next to the pool", not terribly convenient or appropriate for a $100US 50 minute massage).

To add a bit to the local info, I had a nice lunch at a restaurant about 300 metres to the left of the hotel named "Bangalo". Quite a few locals there, always a good sign...fair prices, good food and a decent mojito.

All in all, an A for effort and a very nice stay at Sheraton Barra (pronounced Baha). Wish I'd had more time to hang out at the pool or across the street at the beach. I'll look forward to going back and spending a bit more time.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
I also just stayed at the Barra over Carnaval after a night at the Sheraton Rio (all on Cash & Points).

As with SportsTech, I was upgraded to an executive suite, a pleasant surprise during Carnaval. I found the property to be really nice, and far better than the Sheraton Rio. The room was modern with a decent bathroom with jacuzzi tub, bedroom with sliding doors to the balcony overlooking the ocean and to the living room, small kitchen, and large LCD TVs in the living room and bedroom.

Negatives:
Housekeeping: I had a similar experience with mediocre housekeeping until the last day, when housekeeping was perhaps too good (my computer bag and some clothing was placed inside the closet I hadn't been using).
Bottled water: Unlike SportsTech's water experience, I was advised that none of the seven bottles of water in the room were complimentary. I reminded the agent of the Sheraton brand standards for suites, and two bottles were brought up. The water wasn't replaced, and sadly neither were the fruit or chocolate mousse, though I didn't expect them to be.
Breakfast and Internet: Neither Internet nor breakfast is free for plats, but I was able to get a great free Wifi signal from my room (707). Try for an odd-numbered room to increase the odds of picking up a free Wifi signal from the adjoining residential tower. The Sheraton Rio, in comparison, has an executive lounge with evening snacks and a mediocre breakfast.
Location: It's about a R$30 taxi ride to Ipanema (a prime area of the city and the closest subway stop). I frequently took the 2113 bus that goes from the front of the hotel to Leblon, Ipanema, and Copacabana, though I suspect few other guests use it. I also took the 175 bus from the Sambrodromo (where Carnival is held) back to the hotel.

Overall, I'd recommend the property.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by SportsTech

Also given coupons for a couple free pool towels, 2 welcome Caipirinhas, and a "complimentary pressing" that I made no use of.
Is this to say that normally they charge for pool towels????
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:08 am

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Is this to say that normally they charge for pool towels????
No, it's just to control the return of pool towels after use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.