Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Barra, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Barra, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It sounds like the mold is living in the AC system - they can dehumidify until the end of time, but until this is resolved, it will be a recurring problem.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Originally Posted by uxb
Let us know your response.
I recieved a mail/letter from the manager of the hotel, mrs. Sintia Gomes. She appologised for the maintainance issues and moldy rooms and the problems it may have caused me. The hotel will have all their efforts to solve this problem with the moldy air.

The hotel offered compensation with Starpoints, equal to one night.

I emailed back regarding the other issues, f.i. the ATM issue.

Thanks for your advise!
Old Aug 17, 2011, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It sounds like the mold is living in the AC system - they can dehumidify until the end of time, but until this is resolved, it will be a recurring problem.
The air in the new Clublounge was not moldy. The personnel did tell me they do open the doors very frequently for fresh air.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 3:30 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It is quite possible you're are right. Hope there is no legionella bacteria in the ducts.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 1:25 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
I just returned from a three-week stay in Rio and was introduced to the Sheraton Barra thanks to LAN's IRROPS last week - 07 Nov, actually. It was, in a word, fantastic.

Usually I stay with family in Noterói or Copacabana, but when LAN offered us a stay at the Sheraton Barra how could we say no? We were in room 716, a club level king suite and there was so little wrong with it that it didn't matter. The one-night stay turned into three nights (my choice), and we didn't want to leave.

Being November there was no need for the air conditioning, so we slept with the balcony doors open and had no problems with bad smells or mildew. The room was comfortable and offered space to relax without being on the bed, a decently-sized desk area, speedy and strong WiFi all throughout the property, including the pool, and a host of trainees at the reception desk who appeared to have a contest going on for who could be the most helpful.

If you have any problems at all, talk to Alberto at the front desk. He fixes almost everything, and has a huge amount of patience.

I was very surprised by the food prices at the pool-side cafe...really quite reasonable for a Sheraton. Too bad they're not open for dinner.

There were some difficulties with the meal vouchers that LAN issued, and the Food and Bev manager fixed everything in one go. I don't think we ever had to ask for something twice.

Driving back to the airport taking the coastal route into LeBlon I saw the other Sheraton...I'm sure it's a nice property, but Barra has my vote!
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:22 pm

No points/benefits but.....

If you like the Sheraton Barra and the facilities it offers the following might be of interest especially for long stays:

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p376367

Works out at about $US100/night for a 1 month stay and $190/night for a 1 week stay and $220-$240/night for the minimum 2 night stay versus the hotel's typical rate of $330/night.
I wonder what the hotel would be prepared to negotiate down to for a 1 month stay?

Last edited by 3544quebec; Jan 3, 2012 at 10:35 pm
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Question

For first timer to rio during carnival, which Sheraton do you recommend? Barra or Rio? We want to be closer/easier to get to carnival, but it seems like both properties are far from the city anyway. Any recommendations?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
For first timer to rio during carnival, which Sheraton do you recommend? Barra or Rio? We want to be closer/easier to get to carnival, but it seems like both properties are far from the city anyway. Any recommendations?
Sheraton Rio is much closer.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC
Any recent reviews? Trying to decide between Sheraton Barra and Sheraton Rio. Solo vacation with no real set plans yet.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by kneemuh
Any recent reviews? Trying to decide between Sheraton Barra and Sheraton Rio. Solo vacation with no real set plans yet.
Just stayed in the Sheraton Rio recently and in Sheraton Barra last year. Sheraton Barra is out of the city, and you will find yourself in trafficjams in the morning and in the evening.
Sheraton is close to the city and offers a beach and much more. Ok, the rooms need desperately renovation but they will start this year. I think they just have started. The rooms are spacious and most offer a beautiful view.
If you want to be into Rio, you do not want to be in Barra.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by claes059
Just stayed in the Sheraton Rio recently and in Sheraton Barra last year. Sheraton Barra is out of the city, and you will find yourself in trafficjams in the morning and in the evening.
Sheraton is close to the city and offers a beach and much more. Ok, the rooms need desperately renovation but they will start this year. I think they just have started. The rooms are spacious and most offer a beautiful view.
If you want to be into Rio, you do not want to be in Barra.
Great info! Thank you so much!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:30 am
jk2

I am visiting Rio for 5 nights with my family (first time in Rio) in March. Am I right that it is better to stay in Sheraton Rio instead of Sheraton Barra? I am holding a reservation at Sheraton Barra currently. Our plans are relax on the beach and go to city for sightseeing.

Another question is: what is the better (safe and cheap) way to reach a hotel - use a taxi at airport or use hotel's transportation options?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
I am visiting Rio for 5 nights with my family (first time in Rio) in March. Am I right that it is better to stay in Sheraton Rio instead of Sheraton Barra? I am holding a reservation at Sheraton Barra currently. Our plans are relax on the beach and go to city for sightseeing.

Another question is: what is the better (safe and cheap) way to reach a hotel - use a taxi at airport or use hotel's transportation options?
If you want to experience the city, Sheraton Rio is the way to go. Sheraton Barra is a more beach-centered property quite a way outside of Rio.

Hotels usually have good and safe transportation options. If you use a cab at the airport, MAKE SURE it's a licensed cab via a reputable counter agency. Don't just go with a guy with a sign in his hand (though they seem to have cut down on those my last few visits...).
Old Feb 20, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by jk2
My alternative opinion is that La Barra is a much better choice for a family as well as beach relaxing and you can always take a taxi to Ipanema, etc. if you want. It's not that far really.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
My alternative opinion is that La Barra is a much better choice for a family as well as beach relaxing and you can always take a taxi to Ipanema, etc. if you want. It's not that far really.
That's a very good point. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.