Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Washington D.C. which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washington D.C. which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
I concur with the others that Fairfax is the best of the hotels. The others are pretty generic inside. The Westin CC isn't anything special, but I personally prefer its location; it's just across Mass Ave from 14th St., which is now the trendiest street in town.

If you end up splitting stays with Hyatt, the Grand and Regency-Capitol Hill are both similarly conventional hotels, but at least the Cap Hill is close to Union Station. Too bad the two dominant chains around here -- Marriott and Hilton (both locally HQed) -- have such awful loyalty programs. Another chain with lots of local properties is Kimpton, but I don't know much of their loyalty program.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think it's worth considering the Westin Arlington Gateway at Ballston. It has a good lounge, an indoor pool, Starbucks, a nice restaurant and comfortable bar, and underground parking. The location is a few blocks from the Ballston Metro station (where there's IIRC a good upscale Italian deli for takeout stuff) almost across the street from a big shopping mall with a variety of moderate restaurants, and a few blocks in the other direction from a big upscale grocery store that also has a variety of prepared foods to take out for nights that you don't want a restaurant meal and are tired of room service. It was built within the last ten years or so, with the relaxing green and tan decor.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred; SPG Platinum
I'm loving the Fairfax so far - comfy beds, great shower, delicious breakfast. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:34 pm

Smile Which Starwood Hotel in Washington D.C.?

Beside the "St. Regis Washington D.C" hotel what are the best Starwood brand hotels to stay at in downtown Washington D.C? I will be staying 2 nights and will be using the Metro. Any suggestions would be great. This will be in August 2014. Thanks.

Last edited by MNGALWIN; Mar 20, 2014 at 1:35 pm Reason: Forgot to check Email Notification
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, MNGALWIN!

Have you checked out this thread?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html
Old Mar 20, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plt, Marriott Gold, National Exec
I am a fan of the W in D.C. I usually stay away from W's but that is a good one.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan SE, Marriott LTPPE
Washington DC

Ive stayed at both the W and the Westin DC City centre. Both have their pros and cons. Westin is newly renovated. best to read their individual threads on this Board
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Diamond, Hyatt Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat/Lifetime Plat, Amex Plat / PRG, DClub
I tried the W many times but keep coming back to the Fairfax. Close to Dupont Circle, great atmosphere and nice boutique-y feel. Westin Georgetown is my #2. W is my #3.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by MNGALWIN
Beside the "St. Regis Washington D.C" hotel what are the best Starwood brand hotels to stay at in downtown Washington D.C? I will be staying 2 nights and will be using the Metro. Any suggestions would be great. This will be in August 2014. Thanks.

I did 11 nights august 2013 in Washington: 3 at the Fairfax, 3 at the Westin Georgetown and 5 at the Fairmont. I must say the Westin was very good - SNAs provided a larger room overlooking M Street. If you speak any french, the doormen would be very appreciative. Overall, though, I thought the Fairmont (kitty corner to the Westin) was the best stay and best value.

cleo
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by cfpmcleo
I did 11 nights august 2013 in Washington: 3 at the Fairfax, 3 at the Westin Georgetown and 5 at the Fairmont. I must say the Westin was very good - SNAs provided a larger room overlooking M Street. If you speak any french, the doormen would be very appreciative. Overall, though, I thought the Fairmont (kitty corner to the Westin) was the best stay and best value.

cleo
I had a suite facing M street during my one (and only stay) at the Westin Georgetown, and it was very noisy. The crossing/ stop light directly outside the hotel provided a lot of extra traffic noise. I got the impression that all the large rooms/suites were facing the busy street when I asked about a room change.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by mapletree
I tried the W many times but keep coming back to the Fairfax. Close to Dupont Circle, great atmosphere and nice boutique-y feel. Westin Georgetown is my #2. W is my #3.
I would agree!^
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:44 pm

Thumbs up Using Points

Thanks all for the replies. I will be using my Starwood points after I spend $3000 in 6 months. I will have 25,000 points and the Fairfax will work as long as it's close to the Metro. I think I will be able to use all points for our 7 night stay (Marriot, Hyatt, IHG and Starwood) for our hotel stays. This will result in about $2000 free hotels where we can spend on other things.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Couldn't find a master thread for Sheraton Pentagon City so figured I'd ask here.

Staying over the weekend. I use the bikeshare to get around so didn't really care about location, but now a friend wants to come over and say hi (not stay overnight ). Is there any alternative to the $24 covered parking?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by typical
Couldn't find a master thread for Sheraton Pentagon City so figured I'd ask here.

Staying over the weekend. I use the bikeshare to get around so didn't really care about location, but now a friend wants to come over and say hi (not stay overnight ). Is there any alternative to the $24 covered parking?
Stayed there a couple of weeks ago for one night. I was upgraded to the presidential suite. Try and check in early so you can secure that suite.

Parking was free, because they had problems with the gate. They gave me a parking pass that expires at the end of July , however I did not use it because of the gate problem.

Check this for the master thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

The thread is under the old name. I did contact the mods to change the name, but they never did.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:51 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Which property in Washington DC

I am flying from TPA to DCA with my family, wife and two kids, staying in Washington for a single night then flying back to the uk via IAD

Which Sheraton property would you recommend for the family?

Keen on good location (when flying into DCA and out via IAD), good facilities and suitable for family.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.