Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Washington D.C. which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Old Mar 12, 2007, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Will be doing vacation to DC this summer. Imagine will be mainly around Smithsonian plus other touristy stuff. Will have family of four (kida ages 5 and 7).

Which Westin is best? (newly remodeled, closest to museums, etc)?

Appears teh St. Regis will not be ready froms its makeover.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 7:48 am

Programs: AA, UA, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Take a look at the Westin Arlington. It's close to metro, and probably the nicest ( certainly the newest if i'm not mistaken ).
Old Mar 12, 2007, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Would prefer DC proper.

Anyone knwo anything abot the yet to open Westin Washington, DC City Center?

Is it the new modern Westin like all the other new ones?
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:00 pm

Haven't stayed at any of the DC properties

But the DC City center is probably closest to the museums. It is, however, fairly far for young kids who are going to be walking all day around the museums (it's probably 1.5 miles to Air and Space). Given the fact that DC can be unbearably hot in the summer I'd suggest a cab just to keep your sanity.

If you're taking a taxk Westin Grand isn't that much farther away (M & 23rd rather than M & 14th). If you want to do Georgetown for dinner at night you're only a few blocks away. Also I've walked past the hotel at night and it appears to be in good shape. With young kids Georgetown may have 0% interest for you but just thought I'd mention it. Also if you have marriott points the JW Marriott's location is tough to beat.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I actually like the 4 Points by Sheraton in downtown. Relatively new property, nice rooms, 3 blocks to Metro and easy walking to the Mall. Certainly not a luxury property, but meets many other requirements.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I'm hoping the new DC City Center Westin turns out nice, but I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig. Service was terrible and physical plant deteriorating in its waning days as a Wyndham. And who can forget that this was where Marion Barry was videotaped smoking crack? Personally I'd wait for some credible positives about the property before booking it myself.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gleff
And who can forget that this was where Marion Barry was videotaped smoking crack?
I wonder if there will be a historical marker?
Old Mar 12, 2007, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by gleff
I'm hoping the new DC City Center Westin turns out nice, but I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig. Service was terrible and physical plant deteriorating in its waning days as a Wyndham. And who can forget that this was where Marion Barry was videotaped smoking crack? Personally I'd wait for some credible positives about the property before booking it myself.
Here's hoping his room can be had by special request. That would make for one heckuva StarwoodLobby Trip Report
Old Mar 12, 2007, 8:47 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Originally Posted by kevinsac
I actually like the 4 Points by Sheraton in downtown. Relatively new property, nice rooms, 3 blocks to Metro and easy walking to the Mall. Certainly not a luxury property, but meets many other requirements.
I would concur. Decent rooms - try for Club level if possible as the rates can be sometimes quite decent. The breakfast in the Club lounge was quite good. Rooms on that level appeared to be a good size with fridge and microwave (if I remember) which is handy with little ones. Moreover, good for kids with regard to breakfast. There's a decent little store/restaurant with good granola/yogurt about a block towards the Mall. IIRC, there's also a Starbucks in the lobby if that helps. There's a few pizza places within walking distance (1-3 blocks). As the other poster said, easy access to Metro. I had my kids (ages 8 and 2 at the time) there last May and the location was excellent; never rented a car yet managed to see all of the sights including the Mall area, Arlington Memorial, the DC Zoo etc.

Singlepoint
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:25 am

Programs: spg
Originally Posted by Objective Traveler
Will be doing vacation to DC this summer. Imagine will be mainly around Smithsonian plus other touristy stuff. Will have family of four (kida ages 5 and 7).

Which Westin is best? (newly remodeled, closest to museums, etc)?
I'll put in a word for the Embassy Row Westin - Great hotel in a beautiful area with great restaurants around DuPont Circle. Short walk to the metro. That said, you will need to take the train to most of the things you'll probably be doing with the kids.

Last edited by Rocket88; Mar 13, 2007 at 8:37 am
Old Mar 15, 2007, 8:22 am

Programs: SPG plat, Mar plat, Hyatt plat, Amtrak sel+, AA gold, Hilton gold, Hertz Pres Circle
I concur with the Westin Embassy Row for an all-around convenient choice. The area is one of the more safe within the DC limits. There are tons of shops and restaurants around. The subway is 2 blocks away.

The Westin Grand is nicer, but it's a walk to any subway.

The Four Points is "decent", I wouldn't rate it higher than that. Plus, there's a certain "element" around that area after dark. It depends on how late you will head back to the hotel. It's not my favorite area to walk alone at night.

One other convenient location - Sheraton Crystal City. It's a decent hotel, there are many good restaurants within walking distance, the metro is right around the corner, literally. Plus, the ride in to the Smithsonian area is very direct. You also get a great view of all of the monuments by the water as you come over the bridge on the metro.

Have fun!
Old Apr 4, 2007, 10:57 pm

2,000 points a stay bonus isn't bad

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...ING_WI_1750_VA
Old Apr 5, 2007, 1:20 am

Wow, nice find! Just signed up for the 2k bonus and 99 rate myself. ^

Thanks!!!

You guys are the BEST!
Old Apr 5, 2007, 5:58 am

it's $79 this weekend
Old Apr 5, 2007, 9:32 am

Programs: Delta: Platinum, Turkish: Gold (Star Alliance Gold); HHonors: Gold; Hyatt: Plat; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by MrAOK
it's $79 this weekend
Is the internet only, non-cancelable, pre-paid rate booked at spg.com eligible for the 2000 bonus points promotion?

William (Starwood Lurker), can you clarify?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.