Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Washington D.C. which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washington D.C. which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2013, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Boraxo
+1 But very tough to get two rooms @ $112 each, and you would be pretty cramped at the others with 4 to a room (though I saw a family of 5 at the Fairfax). So in this case I'd take the rooms over the location as your kids are old enough to walk. Not to mention that taxis are cheap and plentiful.

Definitely stay in DC and not Pentagon City. IMO the only reason to stay in Virginia would be due to having business or friends there (or a great rate at the Ritz Carlton).
I'm not advising them to move, just answering the question. LOL. My only other suggestion, may be to look at pricing at the Embassy Suites, if you're OK with a non SPG property.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 3:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
UPDATED Starwood Hotel/Metro Station List

It has been a little over two years since I posted/updated this. This has been updated with one new property and one renamed property. For those wishing to utilize public transportation, I hope this helps in making your decision.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is an updated list of Starwood hotels and their locations to the nearest Metro station.

Locations in red are the properties closest to a Metro location.

A link for a printable Metro map is at the bottom of the post.

WASHINGTON, DC
STARWOOD HOTELS and METRO STATIONS

Fairfax at Embassy Row
 Dupont Circle (1 short block)
 Red line

Four Points – Downtown
 Metro Center (3 ½ blocks/8 minute walk)
 Red line/Blue line/Orange line

Le Meridien Arlington
 Rosslyn (1 1/2 blocks)
 Blue line/Orange line

Sheraton Crystal City
 Crystal City (1 block)
 Blue line/Yellow line

Sheraton Pentagon City
 Pentagon City (7 minutes – complimentary shuttle)
 Blue line/Yellow line

Sheraton Suites – Alexandria
 Braddock Road (7 blocks/12 minute walk)
 Blue line/Yellow line

St. Regis Washington, DC
 McPherson Square (1 block)
 Blue line/Orange line

W Washington, DC
 McPherson Square (6 blocks/7 minute walk)
 Blue line/Orange line

Westin Arlington Gateway
 Ballston (2 blocks/2 minute walk)
 Orange line

Westin Georgetown
 Foggy Bottom (5 blocks/7 minute walk)
 Blue line/Orange line

Westin Washington, DC City Center
 McPherson Square (3 ½ blocks/8 minute walk)
 Blue line/Orange line

METRO MAP - printable
http://www.wmata.com/rail/docs/colormap_lettersize.pdf (You may have to cut/paste in your browser)
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
+1 But very tough to get two rooms @ $112 each, and you would be pretty cramped at the others with 4 to a room (though I saw a family of 5 at the Fairfax). So in this case I'd take the rooms over the location as your kids are old enough to walk. Not to mention that taxis are cheap and plentiful.

Definitely stay in DC and not Pentagon City. IMO the only reason to stay in Virginia would be due to having business or friends there (or a great rate at the Ritz Carlton).
That is exactly what I was thinking! Having 2 rooms definitely beats just one, less fighting for bathroom! lol there wasn't another hotel with rates lower than $114. Hilton Washington was close but I much prefer Starwood properties.

Thanks for the advice of not staying in Pentagon city. It frees up lots of points for my trip to China and New Jersey.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred; SPG Platinum
Which SPG property in Washington DC for Business Travel?

Hey All,

Looking for recommendations for an SPG property in DC. I'll be here Monday - Thurs for the next year . My office is right near Union Station.

Looks like I can choose from the Westin, Four Points, or Fairfax. Maybe there's something else out there I'm just missing.

Thanks for the input!
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by abracadaver
Hey All,

Looking for recommendations for an SPG property in DC. I'll be here Monday - Thurs for the next year . My office is right near Union Station.

Looks like I can choose from the Westin, Four Points, or Fairfax. Maybe there's something else out there I'm just missing.

Thanks for the input!
Well, Four Points and the downtown Westin are closer to Union Station, but the "Georgetown" Westin and the Fairfax are nicer by a considerable margin.

There's a St. Regis on 16th & K, not the greatest St. Regis but in my opinion still nicer than the other properties. There's also a W on 15th & F, and it's not as "W" as others (i.e. the staff are friendly), but I've only stayed in the nice corner suites, I imagine the regular rooms are tiny.

Conclusion: if I were going to be at any of the Fairfax, Westin Georgetown, St. Regis, or W for 3-4 nights a week every week, I'd be contacting the hotels to strike a deal on a decent room if possible. And assuming prices are where they normally are but all else is equal, I'd probably go with the Fairfax.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For that sort of schedule, it would be nice to have lounge access.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Well, Four Points and the downtown Westin are closer to Union Station, but the "Georgetown" Westin and the Fairfax are nicer by a considerable margin.

There's a St. Regis on 16th & K, not the greatest St. Regis but in my opinion still nicer than the other properties. There's also a W on 15th & F, and it's not as "W" as others (i.e. the staff are friendly), but I've only stayed in the nice corner suites, I imagine the regular rooms are tiny.

Conclusion: if I were going to be at any of the Fairfax, Westin Georgetown, St. Regis, or W for 3-4 nights a week every week, I'd be contacting the hotels to strike a deal on a decent room if possible. And assuming prices are where they normally are but all else is equal, I'd probably go with the Fairfax.
Excellent advice. In addition to the Fairfax, I've stayed at the two Westins and Le Meridien in Arlington, and visited a friend at the Four Points. I would definitely recommend the Fairfax as well. While certainly not tiny, it has more of a boutique hotel feel to it. Rooms nice, if a bit on the small side. In about three stays I never got a suite upgrade, FWIW. Good location not too far from Dupont Circle.

That being said, the Four Points seemed like a friendly place in a decent location and would be the least expensive I imagine. The room was ok though nothing special. If budget is a factor, you might consider it.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For that sort of schedule, it would be nice to have lounge access.
Can't recall the lounges at these places or whether I even used them, but this is a good point. You might also push for room/suite upgrades as part of your negotiation.

Also, I don't recall whether the Plat breakfast benefit is only for continental or is for full breakfasts, but if the former you could seek to make the latter part of the deal.

If you want to do more comparisons, you could check out the respective threads on these properties here at FT and the reviews over at Tripadvisor.com.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Dec 11, 2013 at 2:32 pm
Old Dec 11, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
I've stayed in one of the grand deluxe rooms at the Fairfax and thought it wasn't too bad. Haven't stayed at any of the other SPG properties in DC. I typically favor the Hyatt properties (Grand and Park) when in DC.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by BayAreaTraveler
I've stayed in one of the grand deluxe rooms at the Fairfax and thought it wasn't too bad. Haven't stayed at any of the other SPG properties in DC. I typically favor the Hyatt properties (Grand and Park) when in DC.
You know, abra, this brings to mind that if you're going to be spending so many nights in DC for the entire year, and if you're as obsessive about such matters as some of us, you could go for top status at both Starwood and Hyatt (which are the two chains I'd recommend if you're going to split your stays). About six months at one, then six months at the other.

And continuing in the same vein, you should definitely get the Starwood Amex for the bonus points for initial spending and then the extra points you'll get by paying for your Starwood stays with that card (unless all of the bills are being taken care of by your office). Same thing for the Hyatt Visa card.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL,AA SPG Plat
The 4 points downtown is nicely located and close to two metro stops, McPherson, and convention center. My parents stayed there a couple months ago and had no complaints. I would definitely second getting the AMEX SPG card to get the bonus on your spend.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: Club Awesome
+1 for the Fairfax, great location and nice hotel.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
If you make your decision based on the properties themselves rather than geography or price, you should definitely choose the Fairfax. In my experience, they offer the best breakfast as well as a quiet environment. You have a wide selection of restaurants available in DuPont Circle.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:53 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I agree with this advice. I have spent a good number of nights in DC during the past year and when I need to be very close to my office for an early start I tolerate the Westin City Center. But I otherwise stay at the Fairfax because Dupont Circle has a variety of breakfast and dinner options, a nice quiet bar and a generally good room upgrade once you stay there a few times. I dont think you want to clock that number of nights in any 4 pts, definitely not the DC one. And the Westin Georgetown, meh... a bit in between hoods so not "right there" for food options.

Originally Posted by Totoro
If you make your decision based on the properties themselves rather than geography or price, you should definitely choose the Fairfax. In my experience, they offer the best breakfast as well as a quiet environment. You have a wide selection of restaurants available in DuPont Circle.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Totoro
The Fairfax is nice, but the rooms/suites facing the back can be quite noisy in the (very) early morning (garbage pick ups, delivery trucks) due to old (and not double-glassed) windows. But if you're on business, that might not be a problem. I have not stayed in any of the rooms facing the front of the hotel (towards Massachusetts Ave).
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred; SPG Platinum
Thanks for all of the advice. I decided to give the Fairfax a shot this week - I'll let everyone know how it goes. I'm already an SPG Platinum '75' member this year, and I do own the SPG Amex card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.