Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton National, Arlington, Virginia (Washington D.C.) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton National, Arlington, Virginia (Washington D.C.) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2006, 8:13 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Arrow Sheraton National, Arlington, Virginia (Washington D.C.) [Master Thread]

I'll be in Arlington, VA on government business for three nights in late February. The meeting is at the Sheraton National; I plan to take advantage of the special rate for the meeting for the first and third night and stay at the Westin Arlington (never been there) the 2nd night. I'll have a car, but how easy is it to drive from the National to the Westin Arlington (and back)?

Also, in the past this meeting has been in Crystal City (i.e., near the Metro and therefore DC is easily accessible). How isolated will I be at the National? Is the hotel shuttle to Pentagon City reliable for pickups back to the hotel?
Old Nov 12, 2006, 8:27 pm

Programs: 1K, PPS, Spire Elite
National to Westin Arlington - not too bad distance-wise. It's just traffic that's the killer.

Can't answer the isolation question as I've never stayed there. FWIW though, I'm trying to book a hotel for a weekend right now, and I picked the Crystal City for proximity to the metro.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 9:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
This certainly is an old thread, I think if you read more recent ones the National was renovated as well.

The sheraton crystal city is more convenient as far as the metro is concerned and it was refurbished in 1999.
LOL my first visit to this hotel was about 2 years ago and it was still being refurbished, the entire lobby was a construction zone, a visit to it a few months later it was a completely new refurbished lobby.

As for the National, never stayed at it so I cannot commet on the shuttle service, but having passed by it before the distance from it to Crystal City /Pentagon City does not look too far.

http://www.sheratonnational.com/location.htm

It says buses run every 30 minutes from 6am-11pm, and you can call them for pickup if needed.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 9:38 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, United Premier Executive
While there is a shuttle, the much quicker approach is to take the Metro Bus that stops within yards of the hotel every 10 minutes or so during the day. Buses go either to Pentagon or Pentagon City stations. I'm sure the concierge could help. You can take any 16 Bus from Pentagon City or the Pentagon to return to the hotel. It's a five minute bus ride at most.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
[QUOTE=DivMiler] I'll have a car, but how easy is it to drive from the National to the Westin Arlington (and back)?
QUOTE]

Not difficult at all. Time depends on the time of day, but if all goes well it's no more than 5-10 minutes. Mapquest will get you door to door.

Be advised though that the WAG is valet only, so there's the additional cost there. If you go late enough you can snag street parking however. But it's not a guarantee.

And don't bother with the restaurant at the WAG.

Re: the isolation of the National - you'll have a car, right? The hotel offers a free shuttle that can take you to a Metro station. Of, if they're really busy, hop it to DCA and catch the train from there. But yes, the hotel is rather isolated.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, *Wood Plat (Gold Lifetime)
Drive from the Sheraton National to the Arlington Westin is five minutes, max. Rush hour traffic does not really even come into play. Come out of the hotel, take a right onto Columbia Pike, immediately get in the right hand lane that will take you to Washington Blvd. Stay on Washington Blvd (approx 1.5 - 2 miles), take a left on 10th Street, a left on Wilson Blvd, continue on Wilson until you pass the Ballston Mall (~1.5 miles), the Westin Arlington is on your right hand side. Easy and fast.

Enjoy.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 10:08 pm
Suspended

Exclamation $69 -- Washington D.C.-Area Hotel w/FREE Parking!

Travel dates: Friday-Saturday, Aug. 3 - Sept. 9; Sun.-Thu. +$20

http://hotels.travelzoo.com/washington-dc-hotels/315203

I think this is a great deal for a matress run or otherwise, especially if you have a car, as the parking is free!
Old Oct 30, 2007, 2:19 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Any more recent reviews of the place? I was able to book a suite (sadly, smoking) for $89 for this coming saturday night. But wondered if there were any recent reviews. I guess not that I can do anything about it now...
Old Oct 30, 2007, 8:08 pm

Programs: AC, AA, CO, SPG
Stayed there one night this past summer. Hotel was completely booked, mostly with tour/school groups. Staff was pretty harried trying to keep up with everything, but still generally friendly. Room was nothing extravagant, but nice and clean. Did not use the pool. Club floor lounge had basic drinks and hors d'oeuvres, but it looked as though the food might disappear outside of meal times.

I actually like the rooms at the Sheraton National more than the nearby Sheraton Crystal City, with the big difference being that at the Sheraton National you need to take a shuttle bus to get to the Metro/airport (~10 min w/o traffic). At the Crystal City, you can walk to the Metro yourself (and from there get to both the airport and downtown). For a Saturday night stay, you hopefully won't have too much competition for use of the shuttle, but you never know.

There are some decent restaurants in Crystal City if you don't feel like going into the city to eat, and certainly better to do that than eat at the hotel (or the food court at the Pentagon City mall...) Hope that helps!
Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:03 pm

Parking Garage Warning

One bit of warning if you have a car at this hotel: Exiting the parking garage can take a VERY long time, especially if a meeting is getting out. A couple of times, I've had to wait 30 minutes + to exit. There is only one attendant booth for payment, and it gets overwhelmed easily.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 6:34 am

I often recommend this hotel to friends and family who come from out of town. It's clean and comfortable as well as affordable on the weekends. Also, if you have a car, it's a great location because it's so close to DC, Crystal City, Rosslyn, etc.

When a friend stayed there this summer, the gym was closed. I don't remember why, although I think it might have been for renovations. They were offering a free shuttle to a gym somewhere else (and free access to that gym) for anyone who wanted to work out, though.

Re the pool, I think it's a rooftop pool (indoors). My partner and I looked at it about 1 1/2 years ago and I remember thinking it would be a fun place to swim because of the great view of DC.

The Sunday brunch buffet is mostly the basics, but unlike some other brunches around here they do have grits (an essential for my partner). The restaurant is bright and cheery and the staff have always been nice.

Last edited by Socaflyer; Nov 1, 2007 at 6:42 am
Old Nov 5, 2007, 7:45 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Just finished my stay here yesterday. Quite the good stay.

Very friendly and helpful staff at check in. I had booked a smoking suite as it was the only one available at the rate I was willing to pay. Upon check in she was able to get me into a non smoking one. Hope I didnt screw someone out of their room but I was very happy for it.
The rooms here are huge. I of course was in a 2 room suite based on the deal I posted but there is a lot of space around the bed that I think would be there with or without the attached living room.

One surprise was it still had 2 full baths. Of course one side had no hot water so we only used one but its a nice bonus to have two.

The views were good. DC doesnt have much of a view but this is the best one you can hope for.

Did not get up to the pool nor into the club lounge.

Parking. You get a ticket each time in and turn it in leaving. Pay cash only leaving last time. They take your room number each time. Somehow my in and out on Saturday (dinner) caused some confusion when i was leaving Sunday. But as stated. $16. One booth. Cash only.

Did not use the shuttle.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 6:44 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
a very satisfactory stay

I stayed at the Sheraton National Mon and Tues night earlier this week and thought that I would update this thread.

At check-in, I politely inquired whether any Club level rooms were available. To my surprise, the lady behind the counter offered me the CHOICE of standard Club room or suite on a regular floor! I chose the Club level room, and she proceeded to also hand me restaurant vouchers for breakfast.

Breakfast at Sheraton National was $13.95 retail (slightly more expensive than other Sheratons), but they offered a wider variety. I especially enjoyed their fresh-cut pineapple, honeydew, cantelope and strawberries. They offered whole oranges, grapefruit, pears and bananas. The hot food selection actually changed between the days although sausage and bacon was available both days. Of course, the usual pastries, cereals and yogurt were avilable too.

The Sheraton National has an adequate gym with 2 elliptical trains, 2 stationary bicycles and an assortment of free-weights and resistance training machines. Many children were playing in the roof-top pool (enclosed indoors), so I passed on it.

Many thanks to DCGuy earlier in the thread for his advice about the number 16 bus. I waited no longer than 5 minutes for the bus to and from the hotel.

I will gladly stay here again when my travels take me to this area.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 6:47 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
additional info on Club Lounge

(must have problem with cookies on my computer -- can't edit previous post)

I dropped in the Club Lounge at breakfast time to evaluate the selection. They apparently offer hot food (eggs, bacon and sausage) in addition to the usual continental breakfast. A computer with printer is also available for complimentary use.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by Totoro
I will gladly stay here again when my travels take me to this area.
As will I whenever I need to stay near DCA.

I can't believe that I forgot to post in this thread about my initial stay at this hotel back in mid-February.

Anyway.....the hotel shuttle was somewhat reliable.....as I used it to get to/from DCA and the Pentagon City metro stations with only 1 lengthy wait (35+ minutes) at Pentagon City while it was raining hard.

As previously noted, the club lounge also surprised me by offering hot food for breakfast.....in addition to the usual continental options.

However, one thing I did note while there in Februrary was that the lounge attendant would NOT let anyone take food out of the lounge....not even to eat in their rooms.

I couldn't help but notice as she really told a few guests who had wanted to do just that in no uncertain terms that it was not allowed.

FYI, this is the first time that I've ever noticed that sort of attitude from a lounge attendant......and I have to admit that it left a sour taste in my mouth.

Even though I wasn't one of those who had wanted to take food back to their room this time.........I have previously done so many times from the club lounges at various other Starwood hotels (Sheratons and Westins) without any issues (esp when the lounge is extremely crowded or I just wanted to grab something quick)........as some lounge attendants have even provided me with a tray to make it easier.

Even with this......I still prefer staying at the Sheraton National as opposed to the Sheraton Crystal City.....which I stayed at a few months earlier.

Then again.....my favorite area hotel is still the Westin Arlington Gateway......despite having to deal with 2 fire alarms during non-consecutive stays.....as well as never having been upgraded during any of my stays.

Perhaps I'm simply a glutton for punishment.

A.J.

PS: Perhaps a mod could edit the thread title to reflect that the Sheraton National is located in Arlington VA....and not Alexandria.....which is where the Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria is located.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.