Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
If you open a new base or luxury card right now, do you get 15 elite nights for this year?

T&C is confusing on this, it says you get it every calendar year but then also says you get it in march..
No. That benefit begins January 1, 2019.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:18 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
If you open a new base or luxury card right now, do you get 15 elite nights for this year?

T&C is confusing on this, it says you get it every calendar year but then also says you get it in march..
I can see how it might be confusing, but...

"For Card Accounts opened before 12/31/2018

Each calendar year a maximum of 15 Elite Night credits will be credited to one of your Marriott Loyalty Program accounts operated by Marriott International, Inc. (i.e., Marriott Rewards®, Starwood Preferred Guest® or The Ritz-Carlton Rewards®) (the "Marriott Loyalty Program") on or before March 1 in accordance with the Marriott Loyalty Program terms and conditions."

... we're after March 1 of this year. So if you opened a card now you wouldn't get the 15 nights until next March.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I don't even know what to search for a thread that answers this question, so I'll start here.

95% of my hotel bookings are via Priceline or Hotwire, so I haven't actually earned Starpoints for years. I just finished my 125K Chase Marriott card promotion. I'd like to grab the 75K point SPG Amex promo.

But I'm not sure how this works now that they're merged. Do I have to use my old Starwood #, or can I use the Marriott #? Will points go to my Marriott account, or a separate Starwood account? I'd really just like to seem them all consolidated in one account. Is that how it works now?

I'm sure this is covered somewhere, so maybe someone can refer me?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
I recall when I originally applied for the SPG AMEX, there was a space on the application where you input your SPG number if you have one. I assume if you apply for a new AMEX card now, you would just input the account number you plan to keep (If you have not combined your SPG and Marriott account yet.)
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by EdofFX
I recall when I originally applied for the SPG AMEX, there was a space on the application where you input your SPG number if you have one. I assume if you apply for a new AMEX card now, you would just input the account number you plan to keep (If you have not combined your SPG and Marriott account yet.)
One of the reasons I asked is because when I go to sign into my Marriott Rewards account, it asks for email and password. It was always taking me to a page that said, "You are signed in to your SPG account," with a 0 balance. I finally figured out that I had the same address, but a different password for the Marriott account. So there IS a separate SPG account for me within MR. It has a new, nine-digit numbe, though (with a note referring to the old SPG #) There's also a place for me to merge my accounts.

I'm wondering if it would be better to not do that yet, but instead sign up for the SPG Amex and apply the points to the old SPG account. Once the 75K post, then I could combine the accounts.

Or would it be OK just to list the same Marriott # I used for my Chase Marriott card and forget about the other account #?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:17 am

I am also going through the evaluation of whether to combine now or combine later. I don't know if I have the answer yet.

My SPG AMEX is tied to my SPG account, so all the points and the elite status is being posted to that account. There is no place online for me to change the account my card is linked to. I assume that can be done by a phone call. I am postponing that until next year because I want to earn based on the old SPG deal for this year.

With the news about the SPG reservation system hack, I want to move my points from the SPG account to the Marriott account. Apparently Marriott took away that functionality quietly, now the only way for me to move the points from one to the other is to combine them.

In your situation, I think it may be better for you to put in the Marriott account number if they let you. It does not sound like you have control over and points in the old then new SPG account, if you just learned about its existence now.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Sorry if this has been answered up thread, but I was curious if I apply for and receive the SPG Business AMEX now, will I get an additional 5 night credits? I already have the original SPG personal card but never had the business version.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Explorist; Bonvoy Platinum
Has there been discussion in this thread or elsewhere about the 15k bonus points for $6k spend promo which just ended on November 30th? Could someone direct me to where the discussion for this promo has been taking place?
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:50 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Sorry if this has been answered up thread, but I was curious if I apply for and receive the SPG Business AMEX now, will I get an additional 5 night credits? I already have the original SPG personal card but never had the business version.
The business offer T&C don't seem to mention this benefit at all.

For the personal card, there is explicit language:

Credit For 5 Nights And 2 Stays
For accounts opened on or after August 1, 2018
This benefit is not available for Card accounts opened on or after August 1, 2018.
My hunch is you would get nothing now, and 15 nights next March per the discussion about new applications above, but that's just a hunch.

Originally Posted by touringuy
Has there been discussion in this thread or elsewhere about the 15k bonus points for $6k spend promo which just ended on November 30th? Could someone direct me to where the discussion for this promo has been taking place?
Main thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...30-2018-a.html

as well as some peripheral discussion at post 523+ of the Lux card thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...l#post30432402
touringuy likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:26 am

When I crossed 30K in spending last year, I seem to recall getting an email congratulating me on achieving Gold status. This year I have not received any email even though I passed 30K in spending last month.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Is anyone still using this card at all for regular spend? (not bonuses or for hotel stays)

It always used to be my go-to card of choice but am having a hard time justifying using it now given the offerings are 33% less.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by lostone
When I crossed 30K in spending last year, I seem to recall getting an email congratulating me on achieving Gold status. This year I have not received any email even though I passed 30K in spending last month.
I also have not received such email. AMEX may be having an issue with their system. On my Hilton Ascend, AMEX failed to credit me with 20K points after I met the spend on one of their latest offers. They caught the error after a few weeks and sent me an apology email and the points.

I plan to wait til January before I chase the Gold status down. Gold is practically meaningless to me at this point so I am not too anxious to get it.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I upgraded to the SPG Luxury card a month or two ago and today had reason to call customer service for a minor account request. I was pleasantly surprised that the front-line CS agent I spoke to was intelligent, friendly, and very fluent in English! Definitely a departure from, well, every other first-line CS interaction the past several years. Was this luck of the draw, or do high-AF cards like Luxury get us to a higher level of CS agents?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by EdofFX
I am also going through the evaluation of whether to combine now or combine later. I don't know if I have the answer yet.

My SPG AMEX is tied to my SPG account, so all the points and the elite status is being posted to that account. There is no place online for me to change the account my card is linked to. I assume that can be done by a phone call. I am postponing that until next year because I want to earn based on the old SPG deal for this year.

With the news about the SPG reservation system hack, I want to move my points from the SPG account to the Marriott account. Apparently Marriott took away that functionality quietly, now the only way for me to move the points from one to the other is to combine them.

In your situation, I think it may be better for you to put in the Marriott account number if they let you. It does not sound like you have control over and points in the old then new SPG account, if you just learned about its existence now.
Hmmm.

When I sign into my old SPG account (with its new number, on the Marriott site) there is a rectangular blue button on my profile page that says "Merge Accounts" or something like that. Have you check all through the different pages of your profile?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Is anyone still using this card at all for regular spend? (not bonuses or for hotel stays)

It always used to be my go-to card of choice but am having a hard time justifying using it now given the offerings are 33% less.
Not me. Theres been plenty of good discussion on this, but for me, the Chase Freedom Unlimited (combined with the CSR for points transferring) has replaced the SPG Amex as my non bonused spend card, as the 1.5x URs per dollar (which can be transferred to marriott) are more valuable to me than 2 points per dollar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.