Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:26 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Hey, at least my July purchases finally posted over to Marriott
+1 mine were posted yesterday to my SPG account (I haven't combined yet)
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
+1 mine were posted yesterday to my SPG account (I haven't combined yet)
Did you combine the Marriott and SPG accounts already?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
Upgrade to Luxury Card Offer

In my account I have an offer to upgrade regular SPG Amex to the new Luxury Card. The offer states 50,000 points after spending $2,500 within 3 months. Anyone else getting different offers?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The highest upgrade offer I have seen is 100,000 points (same as a new account application):

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post30121860
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:22 pm

My current SPG card is up for first renewal next month. Card was open early September 2017. There is an upgrade offer in my account for he SPG Luxury card, 100k/$5k. Does anyone know if I upgrade now, what kind of free night cert I will get for the up comming renewal in September this year? 35k or 50k cert? Thanks.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:02 pm

I’ve had the SPG Business AMEX for a years now and my AF just posted a week ago. Looks like I’m grandfathered into the $65 AF. Am I supposed to get a free night certificate for 35k hotel? Hopefully the lower AF doesn’t interfere with that.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I’ve had the SPG Business AMEX for a years now and my AF just posted a week ago. Looks like I’m grandfathered into the $65 AF. Am I supposed to get a free night certificate for 35k hotel? Hopefully the lower AF doesn’t interfere with that.
It might depend on the exact date of renewal? I think the 35k free night is Aug 18 and later, no (I have not researched this extensively - just my casual read of things)? I just had a card renewed in the last month or so, so all but certain nothing will be coming of that - bummer. I'm also curious about the language:

"Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your card account anniversary."

So the second year and going forward?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
It might depend on the exact date of renewal? I think the 35k free night is Aug 18 and later, no (I have not researched this extensively - just my casual read of things)? I just had a card renewed in the last month or so, so all but certain nothing will be coming of that - bummer. I'm also curious about the language:

"Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your card account anniversary."

So the second year and going forward?
Anybody know for sure? My $65 AF posted 8/17. If I get a free night, I’ll keep the card. If I don’t, I want to close it.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mia
The highest upgrade offer I have seen is 100,000 points (same as a new account application):

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post30121860
I just logged in and notice I have a "limited time upgrade offer" of 100,000 points. As soon as I finish this trip, I plan of taking advantage of the upgrade offer.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Are we supposed to notify AMEX that our Starwood number has changed? Marriott hasn't communicated anything to us about this nor has AMEX. I don't know whether trying to be proactive will help or make things worse.

My last AMEX statement was 8/17 and the points have not posted......
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by RobUAIntl
Are we supposed to notify AMEX that our Starwood number has changed? Marriott hasn't communicated anything to us about this nor has AMEX. I don't know whether trying to be proactive will help or make things worse.
From the FAQ:

What do I need to do with my new member number? How will this impact future reservations I’ve already booked?
New member numbers will be automatically applied to any existing reservations and linked with your Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card(s) from American Express. Remember to apply your new number to any new hotel reservations and meetings/events bookings that you make and confirm that any travel partners have your updated information.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RobUAIntl

My last AMEX statement was 8/17 and the points have not posted......
In the same boat here, statement closed on 8/18 and I'm expecting ~35k Marriott points. I'm waiting for them to post so I can cancel my old AMEX SPG card since I already applied for the SPG Luxury card. Don't want to cancel the old until the points have hit the account...
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I will get a 35k cert in March 2019 for SPG Amex and want to use it for one night of a 2-night rez at a Westin in June. The other night I want to pay for. How would you guys recommend I secure the rez now? Book one night on points and a separate one for the paid then swap the points night for the cert? I'd rather have a singular rez but don't want to run the risk of cert/points nights being unavailable once the cert hits. Marriott site takes me over to the SPG site when I try to book, so it requires points immediately rather than the option to attach cert later.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:36 pm

Is there a way to see if recent transactions posted will earn bonus points? Or do you have to wait until the statement's been posted?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:44 pm

Question Lost the 10 elite qualifying nights from the SPG AMEX Card on Account consolidation

I was at 26 elite qualifying nights for the year and on August 18th they reset me back to 16. This means they removed the 10 elite qualifying nights that I got from being an SPG AMEX card member. Is this a mistake or I’m out of luck about being Platinum next year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.