Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 1:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by tripmaster
I assume there's no good reason to keep an old SPG Amex card, if I have a new SPG Amex biz card and want to apply for the new SPG Luxury card, since it's a free night for essentially $150 -- I'll def burn the $300 credit at SPG hotels. Should I try and do this before Aug1?
I wouldn't get rid of the SPG Amex consumer card yet. My understanding is that Amex will be offering incentives to card holders to upgrade to the new SPG Amex Luxury card.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, others including Amtrak Guest Rewards
Thank you for further clarification of change in points/values! Didn't realize the airline transfer bonus would still apply, like I said so much going on in my life in different directions that my points/miles knowledge is not current!! Also am not familiar with Marriott point structure so will look into that (typically use Hilton/ IHG)... I believe $150 in Amazon gift cards may be approx 14000 points, need to look further into that also -- decisions, decisions -- I am always truly appreciative of the knowledge shared by group members, thank you again!

Last edited by SharonLPK; Jul 9, 2018 at 8:41 am
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Just got an email that starting August 1st, Amex will offer a free night (up to 35K points/night) after card account anniversary. My personal amex anniversary is in July so I'm probably going to have wait a year... May keep card now as I was planning to cancel.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Duke777
May keep card now as I was planning to cancel.
That's exactly what AMEX was hoping. They had to add something to make up for the earnings cut, otherwise they would have lost too many cardholders to Chase.

I'm still on the fence which of the two cards I'm going to keep.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's exactly what AMEX was hoping. They had to add something to make up for the earnings cut, otherwise they would have lost too many cardholders to Chase.

I'm still on the fence which of the two cards I'm going to keep.
Unless your card renews this month. Why should I pay the annual fee and get nothing?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by fredc84
Actually, I don't think you'd lose anything by holding on to them. You'll end up with 145.5 K Marriott points after the conversion in Aug and you can still transfer them to airlines (actually more airlines than currently) with the 25% transfer bonus opportunity still intact. I don't know anything about gift cards (is it a 1 cent per point value?), but if that is the rate you can do better. I would only go the gift card route if you know you definitely won't use them on flights or hotels.
I understood that the 25% bonus would no longer be available?

So 60,000 points transferred to AA means you get 20,000 + 5000 miles at AA after August 1?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by goaeiou
I understood that the 25% bonus would no longer be available?

So 60,000 points transferred to AA means you get 20,000 + 5000 miles at AA after August 1?
Yes. It will be remain. That was enumerated when they announced the details of the combined program. So, 60,000 new (after Aug) Marriott points will transfer to most partners as 20,000 miles with a 5,000 mile bonus. Since those 60K points are the same as today's 20K SPG points, the transfer is the same.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

bonus remains same for points earned before aug, in aug points in spg account are multiplied by 3

what happens if one combines accounts in aug, in terms of the starwood account that is linked to amex?

by multiplying points in spg account, marriott will never have to automatically close/etc spg accounts
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by BuBu4
Does anyone know how the credit cards transition to the new points?
Like it is all purchases prior to Aug 1st still count as 3x despite my statement end date is post Aug 1st? or will it earn 2x.

I cant seem to get a straight answer on this. TPG is saying it earns 2x. some ppl say it earns 3x.
This is my big question too.

Some folks read the published wording assuming dollars earn points day by day while others assume they earn at statement close.

I have other credit cards that show the points earned from each purchase for recent activity post close. That doesn't seem to be the case with Amex, which makes me think that the close date being before or after August 1 is what counts. Just seems too complicated (even if it isn't all that complicated) to program something different on Chase's part.

TPG suggests changed the monthly billing date to be late in July to maximize points earning. Not a bad idea.

Last edited by beachfan; Jul 10, 2018 at 8:04 pm
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:22 pm

I’m not sure how you can read it that way. The Amex terms say this is effective August 1st. It would be strange to retroactively apply this to July purchases. I don’t care what tech is necessary to post points correctly.

Edited to add: Both a rep by phone and online chat said the same thing when I asked. July purchases will earn 1 Starwood point which will be converted to 3 Marriott points. The statement date doesn’t matter, only the purchase date. (I didn’t bother to ask them to distinguish between transaction date and post date.)
bryanb likes this.

Last edited by rrgg; Jul 10, 2018 at 9:12 pm
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

points only transfer after statement closing date..

which again raises question re amex transferring to spg account, if combining does spg account get replaced by marriott account, what happens with amex

i guess i could be forgetting if amex allows you to plug in account number online like airline transfers
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:32 am

What do folks think the sign up bonus will be for the luxury SPG AMEX?
bryanb likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:47 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Originally Posted by LF72
What do folks think the sign up bonus will be for the luxury SPG AMEX?
I'm interested in the same thing and also if I'd qualify for any bonus if upgrading from regular card to Luxury Card?
LF72 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
Got a targeted (and sort of lame, compared to retention offers) bonus emailed to me this week. Up to $250 credit for dropping $20k on Amex by 8/15.

Terms are as follows:

We have an exclusive offer for you. Earn twice and receive up to a $250 statement credit.

HERE’S HOW:
1.Register your Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express by May 31, 2018.
2.Make $10,000 in eligible purchases using your Card by August 10, 2018.
3.Earn your $125 statement credit.
I got this offer as well, and I've already completed the spend, but the $250 credit has posted. Has anyone else seen the credit post yet?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Duke777
Just got an email that starting August 1st, Amex will offer a free night (up to 35K points/night) after card account anniversary. My personal amex anniversary is in July so I'm probably going to have wait a year... May keep card now as I was planning to cancel.
My Renewal Date was 07/19. Anyone have any luck getting AMEX to give either some bonus points or something for those of us who were on the cusp right before the August transition?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.