Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:50 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I had the SPG Amex several (8ish) years ago but that evidently was not an issue.
Originally Posted by spgplat21
Be careful, they will still approve you and just not give you the bonus points.
This is accurate. Approval for the card does not confirm bonus eligibility. The lookback period for bonus eligibility appears to be seven years, but we don't know if the history scrolls off daily, monthly or annually. To be safe the previous card should have been closed in 2009 or earlier.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Setting cash advance to zero

I wanted to use my SPG business card to fund a debit card. When I called the number on the card the agent said that she cannot do it on my card but my wife is an AU and it is possible on her card. Mission accomplished.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:07 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by mia
This is accurate. Approval for the card does not confirm bonus eligibility. The lookback period for bonus eligibility appears to be seven years, but we don't know if the history scrolls off daily, monthly or annually. To be safe the previous card should have been closed in 2009 or earlier.
I hesitate to question the AMEX moderator but are you sure about the 7 years? I know the sign-up bonus on the DL-affiliated AMEX cards is once per lifetime per type of card. And for SPG the email offer I got, and the T&C on the AMEX site:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...rmsDisclosures

say in bold "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product." full stop.

(If you have the card already you may need to open the link in Incognito/Private mode to see the OFFER TERMS heading.)

I've never had this card before, so it doesn't affect me, but...
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:25 am
mia

Originally Posted by Zorak
say in bold "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product." full stop.
That is what the terms say, but in practice American Express only looks back about 7 years to check if you have previously held the same card.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Platinum
Chase Ultimate Rewards v. SPG

I did a search and wasn't able to find the right thread on this--I'm sure others have already thought this through.

My spouse and I applied for the Chase Sapphire Reserve at the last minute to get the big bonus; we've now put enough charges on each card to get that bonus. Prior to this, we put as many charges as possible on our SPG Amex, and my question is whether we should return to that practice.

My preliminary research suggests the SPG points are more valuable than the Chase points in general, but perhaps it would make sense to use the CSR for non-SPG travel and dining to get double points. We have basically stopped using our United-branded cards; I see no reason to given that we don't need to requalify each year on UA for status and the Chase points transfer 1-1 to UA (plus we have a huge amount of UA miles already).

Our highest and best use is premium air travel. I earned MM on UA awhile back, and we are ready to try some business/first class on other airlines after 25+ years of mostly United flights.

Any advice on this welcome!!
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by sfolawyer
I did a search and wasn't able to find the right thread on this--I'm sure others have already thought this through.

My spouse and I applied for the Chase Sapphire Reserve at the last minute to get the big bonus; we've now put enough charges on each card to get that bonus. Prior to this, we put as many charges as possible on our SPG Amex, and my question is whether we should return to that practice.

My preliminary research suggests the SPG points are more valuable than the Chase points in general, but perhaps it would make sense to use the CSR for non-SPG travel and dining to get double points...
Good timing. I have the same question.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:09 pm
mia

Originally Posted by sfolawyer
I... make sense to use the CSR for non-SPG travel and dining to get double points. !
Double Sapphire Reserve earns three points per dollar on travel and dining.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
Double Sapphire Reserve earns three points per dollar on travel and dining.
Oh! Ding ding ding...
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:56 am

If I cancel my SPG Amex I keep the SPG points that have been transferred to my SPG account, correct? Just want to make sure I don't leave anything on the table when I call to cancel.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:56 am
mia

Originally Posted by kymiller
If I cancel my SPG Amex I keep the SPG points that have been transferred to my SPG account, correct?
Yes, your rewards account is with Starwood Hotels, not with American Express.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium + LT Gold
Was checking Amex's website on this card but did not see the Boingo wifi benefit listed there. Was this feature taken out for the 35k offer?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by festriaqua
Was checking Amex's website on this card but did not see the Boingo wifi benefit listed there. Was this feature taken out for the 35k offer?
GF just got her card and the Boingo Wifi benefit is listed. People still use Boingo?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 4:43 am
mia

Originally Posted by tusphotog
People still use Boingo?
Yes the service is useful, but it often works better if you do not use the Boingo app on your device.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:35 am

My spg points for the initial spend hit within a few days. I quickly hit the 2nd tier min spend, but the final 10k points have not showed for 4 busineas days already. I did ma by buying an amex gc, so now i am concerned it didnt count.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tusphotog
GF just got her card and the Boingo Wifi benefit is listed. People still use Boingo?
Boingo is really good in Japan, some other parts of Asia and Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.