Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2016, 3:28 am

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by johnxkrn
Hi all,

Just applied for AMEX SPG PERSONAL and got approved... BUT $1000 credit limit...... ... limit. Never got this low expect the chase freedom I applied in college.

I have about $3000 worth of airplane spending i need to do.. would it be okay if I spend $1000, pay it off, do it again for the remaining $2000 even if the statement does not close in the first month? I really want to get this spending requirement done and also book my flights. The reason for asking this is because I saw some threads where if I do that, AMEX gonna blacklist you or something.. which I don't understand why.. I am spending the money and I am paying them off.. not sure what the big deals are here
When I initially got my SPG card it had a fairly low limit but I just went ahead and used it until getting declined; I was able to charge up to 2.5x or so of the credit limit before transactions got declined (which only then got accompanied by an email informing me that I'm hitting the limit). Then I'd pay it partially off and continue charging. It was the business version, but I don't see a reason why it would be different for the personal card.
In short, it seems that the amex limit is a very soft limit.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:56 am

Have the personal card for many years, I am thinking applying the business card. I would still get the bonus for business if I apply, right?

Thanks
Old Mar 20, 2016, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by nkling
Have the personal card for many years, I am thinking applying the business card. I would still get the bonus for business if I apply, right?
Yes.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:19 am

Deleted, duplicate
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DealAddict
.Do AMEX in the US extend these promos normally
No. This offer is typically once per year and the end date has been enforced.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
I have direct deposit set up for SPG to go to United. If I got the AMEX would the 35,000 point go direct to United, or is that only possible for points earned from actual stays?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by slickvik
I have direct deposit set up for SPG to go to United. If I got the AMEX would the 35,000 point go direct to United, or is that only possible for points earned from actual stays?
I can't answer this particular question, but I would not have any points going directly to anywhere. If you transfer 20k points in a bundle to an airline, you get 5k bonus points in the transfer. So you want to save up to 20k before transferring.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:48 am
mia

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
So you want to save up to 20k before transferring.
United Airlines is an exception. If you use the Direct Deposit feature Starpoints transfer 1:1 to UA. If you accumulate Starpoints and manually transfer to UA the ratio is 2:1. (20,000 = 12,500)

To my knowledge Direct Deposit applies only to points earn at a hotel. Credit cards and other bonuses post to the SPG account, and are not automatically transferred.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
United Airlines is an exception. If you use the Direct Deposit feature Starpoints transfer 1:1 to UA. If you accumulate Starpoints and manually transfer to UA the ratio is 2:1. (20,000 = 12,500)
Wow. And yikes. That's good to know!
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:59 am
mia

Read more about Direct Deposit here:

https://www.spgpromos.com/moremiles/
Old Mar 23, 2016, 4:03 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by MVF Trekker
But you can apply for other cards from Amex which can have other bonuses or promotions.
Quite correct. Of course, Amex must approve such application(s) or no dice.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by bamba70
When I initially got my SPG card it had a fairly low limit but I just went ahead and used it until getting declined; I was able to charge up to 2.5x or so of the credit limit before transactions got declined (which only then got accompanied by an email informing me that I'm hitting the limit). Then I'd pay it partially off and continue charging. It was the business version, but I don't see a reason why it would be different for the personal card.
In short, it seems that the amex limit is a very soft limit.
Be careful and check your statements. You're probably being hit with hefty overlimit fees.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 6:21 pm
mia

Originally Posted by corpgator
Be careful and check your statements. You're probably being hit with hefty overlimit fees.
Good thought, but:

Penalty Fees
Late Payment: Up to $37
Returned Payment: Up to $37
Overlimit: None
Source: https://web.aexp-static.com/us/conte...dPrefGuest.pdf
Old Mar 23, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I have both cards and wish they looked a bit more different--a bit worried about accidentally charging business to personal or vice versa.

Are there any alternative colors/designs for the personal or biz?
Old Mar 24, 2016, 9:22 am

If the SPG card is cancelled, besides staying at their hotels, what other easy/cheap ways to prevent SPG points expiring?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.