Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PM sent.

25K is as good as it gets this time of year. Generally, in August, the bump the bonus to 30K.

Getting both on the same day isn't usually a problem assuming you aren't at capacity with Amex.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
25K is as good as it gets this time of year. Generally, in August, the bump the bonus to 30K.
Has often happened a bit earlier, in July. Given the acquisition by Marriott, I'd expect Amex--who will likely lose out to Chase as the exclusive issuer of new cards--to push hard, and perhaps a bit early, to acquire new customers while they still can. That's what Barclays did when the US-AA merger ended their ability to issue new cards.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
If one has both the base level Amex and Business Amex do you get 10 nights towards Plat status from both collectively (5 per)? And in what year (so for example, imagine I apply for the Biz card in November 2016). Will I still get the 5 night credit in 2016 (the year I applied and was approved)?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 1:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
If one has both the base level Amex and Business Amex do you get 10 nights towards Plat status from both collectively (5 per)?
Yes.

And in what year (so for example, imagine I apply for the Biz card in November 2016). Will I still get the 5 night credit in 2016 (the year I applied and was approved)?
You will get them the year you get the card, and January of each subsequent year.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If one has both the base level Amex and Business Amex do you get 10 nights towards Plat status from both collectively (5 per)? And in what year (so for example, imagine I apply for the Biz card in November 2016). Will I still get the 5 night credit in 2016 (the year I applied and was approved)?
Yes.
Is it possible to get multiple SPG AmEx business cards? If so, would you receive 5 qualifying nights per business AmEx per year?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ralphs
Is it possible to get multiple SPG AmEx business cards? If so, would you receive 5 qualifying nights per business AmEx per year?
You can probably get multiple Business cards, but you only get five nights per product (Business or Personal), not five nights per card.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You can probably get multiple Business cards, but you only get five nights per product (Business or Personal), not five nights per card.
Appreciate your clarification.

Separately, do you have any insight about the 25k signup bonus - may I receive one bonus per card, or is it similarly limited to one bonus per product? I have two businesses (with distinct tax IDs) that could use credit cards.

I tried to search for churning info but most information that came up was regarding personal accounts.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:43 pm

do you have any insight about the 25k signup bonus - may I receive one bonus per card, or is it similarly limited to one bonus per product?
I believe that's per-product as well, but don't know for sure.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:11 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
A...25k signup bonus - may I receive one bonus per card, or is it similarly limited to one bonus per product?.
You need to read the terms of the offer. Most American Express business card public offers say:

Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product within the last 12 months.
This means you are not eligible for another new account bonus until 12 months after you close the account. The individual is the applicant, not the business.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The individual is the applicant, not the business.
Thank you for clarifying.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: US, AA, AM, BA, HH, SPG, PC, Carlson, Marriott, Choice
Originally Posted by beltway
Has often happened a bit earlier, in July. Given the acquisition by Marriott, I'd expect Amex--who will likely lose out to Chase as the exclusive issuer of new cards--to push hard, and perhaps a bit early, to acquire new customers while they still can. That's what Barclays did when the US-AA merger ended their ability to issue new cards.
I'm anticpating the push as well and hoping they will do away with the "once in a lifetime rule" while they're at it! DH canceled his personal after using his SPG card as his primary spending card for years. He was hoping to wait a year and get the bonus again but that never happened because they added the new rule one month before his year was up!
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:31 am
RNE

Originally Posted by aglasgow
DH canceled his personal after using his SPG card as his primary spending card for years. He was hoping to wait a year and get the bonus again but that never happened because they added the new rule one month before his year was up!
I'm in the same boat. I cancelled my SPG card to churn it. Then Amex moved the goalposts. But I get why.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum = Mid Tier Master!
Is it time to cancel my SPG cards?

The $95 annual fee for both my personal and business Amex SPG will hit my card tomorrow. I'm really torn as to whether or not to keep the card. On the one hand, they are two of my oldest cards so closing them would impact the average age of my credit hard.

But I can't justify paying $190 for two cards that might cease to exist later this year, or worse, Amex converts them to whatever the new product is and I lose out on the sign up bonus. Chase holds Marriot, and the future of SPG is uncertain. Is it a good idea to keep these cards for now? I have 2 starwood stays reserved later on this spring, but they are award stays so I wouldn't earn points anyway. Like I said I'm torn, interested in others' thoughts!
Old Jan 28, 2016, 6:35 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gumpfanatic
...they are two of my oldest cards so closing them would impact the average age of my credit hard.
The Business card is not reported to credit bureaus (unless you default). It is invisible to the calculation of your personal credit score.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum = Mid Tier Master!
Update: I called to cancel it and they offered an $100 retention bonus so I decided to keep it. But what I also found interesting was when I expressed my concern that the SPG card would go away later this year due to merger, the rep said "Current SPG card members will be grandfathered in until at least 2038." Read into that what you will. My guess is they will start earning Marriott points.

Last edited by gumpfanatic; Jan 30, 2016 at 11:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.