Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Canada still has referral bonuses I think. Amex US has removed all referral bonuses unfortunately and all affiliate/referral links are handled by creditcards.com
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:35 pm

It is summer and haven't heard of any new cc lately. Waiting to see if 30k will be back this summer.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 4:35 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Earthlings
It is summer and haven't heard of any new cc lately. Waiting to see if 30k will be back this summer.

same here
Old Aug 3, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Is the SPG a good card to pick up for someone who wants travel rewards, but rarely would have paid stays on their properties?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by Red259
Is the SPG a good card to pick up for someone who wants travel rewards, but rarely would have paid stays on their properties?
Yes.

1 SPG point can transfer to 1.25 miles on most select airlines when transferring 20,000+. SPG would prefer you redeemed on their properties, but the do offer this option. There are a few airlines where the transfer rate is not as good. These might be because of interfering credit card agreements (i.e. United Airlines) or because the FF program has a different valuation on miles, so it's a 'currency correction' and you need to check this first for your airline.

Look also at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...g-moments.html (FT discussion, this forum) for some interesting opportunities. You need SPG points to buy/bid on these. Not a direct travel benefit, but it could enhance a trip you already have happening.

The offer is 10K for signing up, then 15K points for completing a $5K spend in 6 months.

There have been changes over the past year, where an existing AMEX card holder might not get the 25K offer, but might only get the 10K sign up offer. Read the T&C's of the offer you get. Clearing cookies and keeping a copy of the sign up T&C's are never bad things to do for any offer for any credit card.

If you get the 25K offer, it's net 30K points once you've finished the $5K spend.

In the past, around this time of year, the offer has gone to 30K, 10K, + 20K more after spend for an extra 5K points when it's all over.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:54 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
+1 on what Reft wrote. The other card you might want to take a look at is the Chase Sapphire Preferred card.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 2:09 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
+1 on what Reft wrote. The other card you might want to take a look at is the Chase Sapphire Preferred card.
Yep the CSP is the very next card on my list actually.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 2:39 am

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
Originally Posted by Red259
Yes definitely, with the 1.25 point transfer bonus as others have mentioned. However, if your travel involves Star Alliance, its not a good deal because the transfer ratio is poor. If that were the case, you should get the Chase United Explorer (1 UA Mile per dollar) or Chase United Club (1.5 UA mile per dollar).

Regards to the paid stay - I'm a platinum less than 5% of my stays are "fully paid." They're determined depending on the cost to benefit of using starpoints or paid stays. Most are C&P (devalued in Mar '13) or full reward redemptions (noticeably less these days). I rack up 6 figures of starpoints thru business purchases until I have enough... and then the rest of them go onto my Chase United cards.

So you need to figure out how to balance it... but if you don't do hotel stays all that much you can always pick it up for the bonus because IMO... having miles in Mileageplus is better than transferring to many airlines on SPG's transfer list (depending on how you travel).
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:32 pm

Just saw an ad for 30k starpoints ends Sept. 3rd.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Any recent experiences on how long it takes for the stays/nights to post for a new application, once approved?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:46 am

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
Mine took about 5 or 6 days after opening my SPG card 2 weeks ago.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Any recent experiences on how long it takes for the stays/nights to post for a new application, once approved?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by vodkashine
Mine took about 5 or 6 days after opening my SPG card 2 weeks ago.
Thanks - I also opened mine 2 weeks ago, and had my first purchase 10 days ago. No stays/nights nor 10K points (though I know the latter can take 8-12 weeks). Will give them another week or two before I ping them.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 6:33 am
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
Wasn't paying attention to my spend and I went over the min spend on some air tickets that I plan on cancelling. Think they'd care? It's a decent amount, but I'll be making it up in about two months.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 5:15 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
If I cancel the Starwood card, will the night credit disappear (already credited)?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by welookgood.com
If I cancel the Starwood card, will the night credit disappear (already credited)?
I doubt it. My DW canceled her personal SPG Amex back in March, and the stay/night credits are still showing in her SPG account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.