Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by geminidreams
Of 2 x 4 night stays I received a suite and club room. I have had suite success at ROS, W, StR and LM, all 1 for 1 and used Suite nights for another LM stay. Aloft I don't expect it, 4P was a minor upgrade and I haven't been to WGS or SGS as a plat. I must admit that I find the club rooms at PA to be comfortable and I had to leave after the first night and my wife stayed the final 3 nights so I wasn't fussed at all.
Yes, I have always got a club room at the PA. I usually ask for a suite at check-in and every time they tell me none available.

I have Suite success almost 100% of the time at:

1) WGS
2) SGS
3) W
4) LM
5) ROS

Sometimes at St. Regis.

Never at:

1) PA
2) 4-points
3) ALoft (not expected since its not one of the perks)
Old May 8, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Originally Posted by whimike
Unless you are looking for a suite upgrade. I have stayed at PA several times, all 1-night stays (which should maximize the chance of a suite), and I have never gotten a suite there.
Like my experience
1 night stay at PA on saturday got Royal club room
Old May 9, 2014, 12:57 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
i prefer a club floor room to deluxe suite at plaza athenee.

i do request for it myself.
Old May 9, 2014, 7:34 am

If you do choose ROS you can almost bank on finding a BRG.
Good to know, thanks. I don't read the main thread regularly anymore, but are any other properties in the city BRG-friendly as well?
Old May 9, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Pretty much all of them - SGS, StR and W are tougher, though.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Going to Thailand for 8 full days in February, 2015. (6-14th.)

Probably going to break up the trip 1/2 in Bangkok in 1/2 in Koh Samui (Conrad--HH points).

For the first half of the trip, thinking St. Regis...or SGS. Lots of fun choices in BKK!

Looks like a beautiful hotel, but I see some knocks on upgrades/redemption rates/stuffiness. Would there be a better bet?

Any good SPG stops between BKK and Koh Samui?

Would like to do more in 8 days than just see 2 places, but I don't want to feel rushed either...

Last edited by pricesquire; Jun 8, 2014 at 2:41 pm
Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Looks like a beautiful hotel, but I see some knocks on upgrades/redemption rates/stuffiness.
StR or SGS?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
StR or SGS?
StR

Sorry, haven't got all the ROS/StR/SGS terminology down yet

Also, for the SGS: the bathrooms on TripAdvisor look pretty dated/old school. Any comments on the tiling or general bathroom amenities?

I know this is the Bangkok thread, but on a slightly different note, anyone think it would be too much do do 3 nights BKK, 3 nights Koh Samui, and 2 nights Phuket?

thx
Old Jun 8, 2014, 6:41 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
StR

Sorry, haven't got all the ROS/StR/SGS terminology down yet

Also, for the SGS: the bathrooms on TripAdvisor look pretty dated/old school. Any comments on the tiling or general bathroom amenities?

I know this is the Bangkok thread, but on a slightly different note, anyone think it would be too much do do 3 nights BKK, 3 nights Koh Samui, and 2 nights Phuket?

thx
SGS is undergoing renovations so likely by then you will not feel much is dated.

StR location is ok, but quietish. You can't walk out and be in a busy area or mall in 5 mins. But you are one train stop away.

Phuket and Samui are too similar I think for there to be a reason to spend time in both during a short trip. If you were thinking Samui and Chiang Mai I'd understand. But even then, you may be spending too much time traveling.

Maybe go to the Thailand forum for a deeper discussion on this topic.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yosithezet
SGS is undergoing renovations so likely by then you will not feel much is dated.

StR location is ok, but quietish. You can't walk out and be in a busy area or mall in 5 mins. But you are one train stop away.

Phuket and Samui are too similar I think for there to be a reason to spend time in both during a short trip. If you were thinking Samui and Chiang Mai I'd understand. But even then, you may be spending too much time traveling.

Maybe go to the Thailand forum for a deeper discussion on this topic.
Thanks, yosithezet. You're right about one thing: I don't want to feel like I'm "on the move" for the full 8 days...

So I'm thinking 3-4 BKK and 3-4 Koh Samui.

First trip to Thailand....am I making a mistake by heading to Koh and bypassing the more popular (and what looks like, more unique) places of Chang Mai and Chang Rai (basically, the north)?

That Conrad looks nice!
Old Jun 8, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I use to only stay at the SGS but now its Le Meridien all the way.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Going to Thailand for 8 full days in February, 2015. (6-14th.)

Probably going to break up the trip 1/2 in Bangkok in 1/2 in Koh Samui (Conrad--HH points).

For the first half of the trip, thinking St. Regis...or SGS. Lots of fun choices in BKK!

Looks like a beautiful hotel, but I see some knocks on upgrades/redemption rates/stuffiness. Would there be a better bet?

Would like to do more in 8 days than just see 2 places, but I don't want to feel rushed either...
Either SGS or StR are good and both convenient to the BTS. StR is more central but the immediate surrounds are not interesting, SGS has more interesting local amenities. SGS bathrooms aren't in the renovation program and are a bit off putting but they are functional.

Personally I wouldn't split my travel further, get a tour to the Tiger temple and floating market or similar and you will spend a day driving around the countryside.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:00 am
Suspended

SGS bathrooms aren't in the renovation program and are a bit off putting but they are functional.
Thanks for the tip.

The bathrooms were quite off putting -- from the TA pictures -- in my opinion. Almost looked like a tiki bar.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the tip.

The bathrooms were quite off putting -- from the TA pictures -- in my opinion. Almost looked like a tiki bar.
Tiki bar bathroom would be quite fun. The bartender may not enjoy their job too much though.

Seriously - the bathrooms in person are not that bad- the aquamarine color of the tile is a bit jarring however in about 30 seconds you will get used to it I think- at which time they become very good bathrooms in all senses.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:15 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat

I have not stayed there, but I hear that the Sheraton outside of Hua Hin is a great property.

Or, you could go past Bangkok and stay at the Sheraton in Pattaya. Sometimes the rates there are killer high, sometimes quite reasonable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.