Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by punkmonkey
Echo above for SGS. Wanted to chime in as a former Gold. The SGS was beyond wonderful. Coffee, tea and cookies from room service, 2 laundered items were provided for free. Service level was fantastic and pleasant at all times. Even did the thai cooking class in house at Basil that was great. (Was expensive but fit schedule perfectly). As new Plat, Looking forward to go back there this summer.
are you saying there are gold perks? since thats all i am
Old Feb 26, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Not sure what you are pissed about that would make you more pissed. However, the lounge staff and seanthepilot are correct. The complimentary Platinum breakfast is only in the lounge.

A good option though I'd rather have the points.
Good point, I shouldn't have said pissed. Annoyed would have been a better word. I am annoyed that WGS makes me use my Platinum amenity to receive their buffet breakfast, especially since the other Bangkok properties do not do this.

As for pissed, I would have been pissed if they incorrectly made me use my points while everyone else didnt have to. But the mystery is solved, the other poster probably had a rate including breakfast. Others including you have confirmed you do have to give up your amenity. So, I remain annoyed, but as you guessed, not pissed.

Last edited by TravelinSperry; Feb 26, 2013 at 9:10 pm Reason: Incorrectly stated lounge... Meant buffet.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I am annoyed that WGS makes me use my Platinum amenity to receive their lounge breakfast, especially since the other Bangkok properties do not do this.
No you won't need to use your platinum amenity for lounge breakfast, only if you want to have breakfast in the main restaurant.

Aloft will make you give up your 250points if you want to have breakfast in their restaurant, and there is no alternative like a simple lounge breakfast. After having to content with no breakfast, I requested for a bottle of water to make coffee first thing in the morning only to be told I was only entitled to 2 bottles a day. Yes I was pissed !
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mario33
No you won't need to use your platinum amenity for lounge breakfast, only if you want to have breakfast in the main restaurant.

Aloft will make you give up your 250points if you want to have breakfast in their restaurant, and there is no alternative like a simple lounge breakfast. After having to content with no breakfast, I requested for a bottle of water to make coffee first thing in the morning only to be told I was only entitled to 2 bottles a day. Yes I was pissed !
Am I missing something- or is breakfast not also available for sale at both the hotels being discussed here? "Content with no breakfast" makes it sound as if breakfast is not available- at both properties I have:
a) Booked rates that include breakfast
and
b) Simply paid for breakfast which if I recall was quite inexpensive

Or are you saying the hotel was not able to provide breakfast?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 1:10 am

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Not sure what you are pissed about that would make you more pissed. However, the lounge staff and seanthepilot are correct. The complimentary Platinum breakfast is only in the lounge. And while the selection in the lounge is not very large, you can order eggs (and maybe other items) which they will have made downstairs and bring up. I'll have to ask about the other items next weekend.
My main problem with the lounge breakfast was finding any staff to take an order. Both mornings I was there I gave up on trying to order eggs and just conentrated on finding someone who would clear a table and get me some tea.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
No smoking at SGS in public areas. They recently (last year, IIRC) built a very nice smoking area in the driveway, just outside the hotel alongside the driveway. Where you would turn left and go up a couple of stairs to gain access to the bridge/walkway to BTS, you turn right to the smoking area. It's done in the style of the public areas (marble, nice chairs, etc.) I don't know if smoking is allowed by the pool, but I'll check it out and add the info here in a couple of days, when I'm next there.
You can smoke by the SGS pool
Old Feb 27, 2013, 2:32 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Lobster
My main problem with the lounge breakfast was finding any staff to take an order. Both mornings I was there I gave up on trying to order eggs and just conentrated on finding someone who would clear a table and get me some tea.
I had the same problem at the WGS lounge breakfast. It took me 5 mins and getting out of my chair to get my *first* cup of coffee.

Originally Posted by Lobster
You can smoke by the SGS pool
Great, thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Am I missing something- or is breakfast not also available for sale at both the hotels being discussed here? "Content with no breakfast" makes it sound as if breakfast is not available- at both properties I have:
a) Booked rates that include breakfast
and
b) Simply paid for breakfast which if I recall was quite inexpensive

Or are you saying the hotel was not able to provide breakfast?
No need to sound 'smart' here, you know I was responding to a post regarding complimentary breakfast for platinums in Bangkok.

And I believe I have enough of hotel breakfasts, if I have to pay for it I would rather go to somewhere local ( All I need is a cup of coffee in the morning ). But if it makes you feel good that there are many here who can't afford to pay for hotel breakfast unlike yourself; ok then, I cannot afford it !
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by exmike
are you saying there are gold perks? since thats all i am
Sorry for the late response. Didn't see the ? last night.
Not sure if this should be expected but this is what I was given during a 3 day stay last June (C&P no less). First hotel that made me feel truly appreciated. (Used to getting sand kicked in my face from *wood hotels in the states when I was gold). Hope this helps.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Been reading all over this thread and the other master threads but still would love to hear from people as it's a tough decision:

I'm going to be in BKK for 2 days as my stopover on the way to Sydney. I've never been to BKK so I want to do all the usual stuff (wat pho, grand palace, anything else I can dig up from reading these threads, etc.). I'm getting into BKK at 1030pm on Saturday night and flying out at 630pm on Monday night. Based on this thread my thinking is to stay at the SGS the first night which is being offered to me at 5K + $75 USD and enjoy the Sunday brunch and then move over to the ROS for 7K on Sunday night and enjoy breakfast on the water and a river cruise before I have to head to the airport.

Does this seem reasonable or am I better of sticking to one?

FYI, I'm SPG Gold but this trip is in early 2014 and I should be PLT again by then
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Been reading all over this thread and the other master threads but still would love to hear from people as it's a tough decision:

I'm going to be in BKK for 2 days as my stopover on the way to Sydney. I've never been to BKK so I want to do all the usual stuff (wat pho, grand palace, anything else I can dig up from reading these threads, etc.). I'm getting into BKK at 1030pm on Saturday night and flying out at 630pm on Monday night. Based on this thread my thinking is to stay at the SGS the first night which is being offered to me at 5K + $75 USD and enjoy the Sunday brunch and then move over to the ROS for 7K on Sunday night and enjoy breakfast on the water and a river cruise before I have to head to the airport.

FYI, I'm SPG Gold but this trip is in early 2014 and I should be PLT again by then
Wow, don't plan so far ahead

SGS is starting their renovations next month (anyone know which date?) and I'd wait to hear back on the first reports of how it's affecting the serenity of this nice property.

ROS was still Cat 2 two months ago and I wouldn't say it's worth 7k / nt as there are so much better properties in BKK at that price!
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by remymartin
Wow, don't plan so far ahead

SGS is starting their renovations next month (anyone know which date?) and I'd wait to hear back on the first reports of how it's affecting the serenity of this nice property.

ROS was still Cat 2 two months ago and I wouldn't say it's worth 7k / nt as there are so much better properties in BKK at that price!
Haha, I'm in between clients for the first time in a while so I'm trying to maximize the use of my down time to plan this all out before I get sidetracked the rest of the year with the new client and end up scrambling!
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
If you are trying to fit in a lot of tours then dont change hotels as you waste too much time. SGS has good access to public transport and Terminal 21 but so does the Westin and Four Points. Personnaly I prefer MBK to Terminal 21 and its easy to access from the BTS.

Havent had the Sunday Brunch at SGS I prefer the Plaza Athenee and its also close to the BTS.

In July Im trying out ROS and St Regis for the first time so after that will have experienced all except the W.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:42 pm

Nothing wrong with ROS, but 7000B is stupid. You should be able to get it for half that. Can be had for 3000 Starpoints or $30 & 1600 still I think.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Nothing wrong with ROS, but 7000B is stupid. You should be able to get it for half that. Can be had for 3000 Starpoints or $30 & 1600 still I think.
7000 points, not THB. ROS "secretly" went up from Cat2 (3000 *p / nt) to Cat3 (7000 *p/nt) after the official category changes.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...e-kat-3-a.html
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:15 am

Programs: SPG Plat Lifetime, CX Diamond, LH SEN, TK Elite / *A Gold
Originally Posted by flyerdude88

Personally I think either 5k+$75 for the SGS as 7k points for the ROS is to much currency...
Even if neck deep in points (and I sit on 200k SPG points most of the time) I guess I would prefer to pay a discounted or just reasonable rate. The SGS is worth 4-5k++ in my world and the ROS 3-4k++ baht (which is possible quite often) and there are so many better ways of redeeming your points (eg. in overpriced Sydney SPG properties). But that's just my way of thinking.

Both hotels should be fine for a stopover on your way to Sydney. The ROS is IMO better to reach grand palace via boat, otherwise the SGS is better located to get pretty much anywhere else... but this information is written here over and over....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.