Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2009, 2:18 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by schley
Woah something freaky just occured to me when I checked in at the Westin Grande Sukhumvit. They put me in room 2216.

I don't even have any status with SPG yet (although I'll have gold in 2 more days with 2 more stays).
Correct me if I wrong, I believe the 22nd floor of WGS is an excutive floor ... I just stayed there two weeks ago ... so you got your upgrades ahead of time.

Cheers!
Old Aug 9, 2009, 2:46 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Correct me if I wrong, I believe the 22nd floor of WGS is an excutive floor ... I just stayed there two weeks ago ... so you got your upgrades ahead of time.

Cheers!
You are 100% correct it is an executive floor. Not free. It was 1500 bahts more, but I wanted the internet and breakfast anyway which added up to about that anyway. So I get the lounge etc all the regulars that come with it too. But a total coincidence as to the room number.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 4:00 pm

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by alanslegal
Thanks for the replies guys; it is still so difficult to decide which Bangkok SPG property should I choose for an upcoming 4 night leisure stay

I've stayed at the SGS previously and thought their pool area was sa'weeet and happy hour drinks by the poolside was sa'weeeeter, but the PLT upgraded two room suite was very plain and lacked soul.

So now, I'm stuck and need some more input. How does the Plaza Athenee pool compare the SGS's? I've seen photos on Tripadvisor the pool does look very comparable! Also how does the PA upgrade, is a likely upgrade a Jnr suite or does a PLT can/often get into larger deluxe suites? Also happy hour, must be taken in the lounge? I assume I can't order drinks by the PA pool?

I like the new LM BKK and the Westin for contemporary decor but a rectangle pool? ewwwwwww no thanks.
The PA has a rectangle pool, but it has a nice amount of foliage and a large bale house.

It is not as nice as the SGS, but, yes, you can order food, drinks and massages poolside. The service has been very attentive during my stays.

There is also a small garden with a walking path with interesting views of the city. It has a slightly meditative effect.

I was very successful getting upgrades this year, 6/6 to a deluxe (two-room) suite, including a few 5 day+ stays! Last year I think I went 2/4 to a suite, and in those times when I didn't get a suite I was placed in a club floor room.

IMHO, the PA is one of the best at SPG Plat recognition.

Safe Travels!
Old Aug 9, 2009, 5:46 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Thanks for the helpful review FatManInNYC

Will post back once I make a decision.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:11 pm

For those that have stayed at PA or WGS what is up with their shower enclosures?

There are several gaps in the glass around the door. This gets water on my floor all the time and not a little bit, enough to drench half my shower mat towel.

This is a weird engineering flaw.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:52 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
For those that have stayed at PA or WGS what is up with their shower enclosures?

There are several gaps in the glass around the door. This gets water on my floor all the time and not a little bit, enough to drench half my shower mat towel.

Actually, I would argue that this is an annoying flaw in most shower enclosures. I have not had the problem at the WGS so much though.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by mcgahat
Actually, I would argue that this is an annoying flaw in most shower enclosures. I have not had the problem at the WGS so much though.
At the WGS it is in the corner of the shower where there is an inch gap clearly open where water can and will spray through.

The PA actually has a gap on the lever side of the door that is maybe a half inch but you are correct the WGS is a little better than the PA.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:03 pm

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.

Agreed. I typically request some extra towels for exactly that purpose.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:15 pm

SGS suites: smoking and non smoking?

In researching a future reservation I am unable to find a Grand Suite with the "nonsmoking" designation. Lower categories differentiate. Anyone know if the suites may be/are specified in either case? I suspect that they are all both, in which case the question is: is it an issue?
Old Aug 19, 2009, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
The LM has great benefits for plats:

Old Aug 19, 2009, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
There is a recent post that platinums no longer get the option of free drinks in this bar only in the lounge - fyi
Old Aug 19, 2009, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by estnet
There is a recent post that platinums no longer get the option of free drinks in this bar only in the lounge - fyi
The pictures above are from the Le Meridien and not from the Plaza Athenee.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 9:13 pm

Programs: ua 1k, spg plt
alien, I think you are correct

my last stay there, when I got to my suite, I asked if this was indeed a smoking room since the usual set of ashtrays and matches were not in the room. sure enough, a few minutes later, they were brought to my room.

the room did not smell, but then I am a smoker so who knows?

Originally Posted by alien
In researching a future reservation I am unable to find a Grand Suite with the "nonsmoking" designation. Lower categories differentiate. Anyone know if the suites may be/are specified in either case? I suspect that they are all both, in which case the question is: is it an issue?
Old Oct 4, 2009, 8:29 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Hi -

I'm coming to BKK in Nov, and trying to figure out what hotel is best for my wife and I.

- on vacation, would like easy access to touristy stuff (or public transportation to it)
- not fussy about hotel restaurants, as we have some favorites in mind
- free internet would be a nice to have
- lounge would be a nice to have
- points stay so cost is not an issue

Our flight home is at midnight of the day at the end of our stay, so we would like somewhere that would give us a) late checkout and b) somewhere to change into our 20-hour travel 'scrubs' before we head to the airport.

any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Travis
Old Oct 4, 2009, 9:53 pm

Programs: ua 1k, spg plt
Originally Posted by AskTravis
Hi -

I'm coming to BKK in Nov, and trying to figure out what hotel is best for my wife and I.

- on vacation, would like easy access to touristy stuff (or public transportation to it)
- not fussy about hotel restaurants, as we have some favorites in mind
- free internet would be a nice to have
- lounge would be a nice to have
- points stay so cost is not an issue

Our flight home is at midnight of the day at the end of our stay, so we would like somewhere that would give us a) late checkout and b) somewhere to change into our 20-hour travel 'scrubs' before we head to the airport.

any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Travis
I think if you read the respective threads of all the BKK SPG properties, you may be able to answer most, if not all your questions on your own but...here are the highlights from my POV...

-Since you are on points, the single biggest difference is the SGS since that hotel is one category higher than the rest of the lot.

-As far as public transportation, the Westin and Sheraton have the best locations since they are connected to a BTS station by walkway.

-However the ROS is pretty touristy being next to the river and all.

-Both Meridien's are nice but require some walking to get to transport. PA is a minor inconvenience (especially if you cut through the building in front instead of walking out the main entrance) but the LM BKK requires some transfers from subway to BTS, depending on where you are headed.

-PA, Westin and ROS have lounges. View from ROS lounge at night is pretty darn good!

-At the very least, I'm sure you can use facilities in the fitness centers to change and get ready for your flights. I have never had a problem with 4pm c/o at any of the properties...but wouldn't know about later since it never came up in my case.

-Split your stays maybe? I'm sure a lot of us here on FT do this. Too long a stay can hurt your chances for a suite upgrade!

Have fun in BKK; headed there myself next month!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.