Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
I stay at the JW every time I visit Shanghai and it's a great hotel with excellent lounge and nice rooms. I can highly recommend it. And try to find the hidden door in the library for access to a balcony with excellent views of Shanghai!
Old Aug 17, 2011, 1:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Any updates on real opening as no dates found available for September........
Old Aug 21, 2011, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP; AA 2MM+; Marriott Plt; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
Any updates on real opening as no dates found available for September........
As of when I checked the other day, this hotel is totally booked through the end of the month at least. I decided to switch to the JW since I figured I'd have a great chance of getting a suite upgrade with everyone staying down the street. I was tempted to go to the Luwan but I really wanted to be in the area where the JW is. Plus, I'm intrigued by the 'secret door' observation area.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:17 pm
Suspended

???????????

Last edited by BKKLEE; Sep 5, 2011 at 1:31 am
Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Figured I should bump this old thread to see if there have been any 2011 stays. The information here is good - almost *too* good - so I'm sort of confirming that nothing has changed.

My wife and I will be in Shanghai for 10 nights in October at a conference based out of the CY Pudong. (A lot of site visits to areas around Shanghai, but arranged buses always depart from the CY Pudong.)

I have access to decent corporate paid rates at the CY and at the St. Regis 350 meters away. However, the Cat 2 10-night award yields a high value per point and that's what I'm leaning towards. It's somewhat in my interests to manage the overall trip budget; therefore using points here could be advantageous.

I have enough MR points to switch to the Cat 3 Renaissance Pudong and would be willing to do so if consensus is that it's really worth the extra $50-ish per night in award value. I do not have access to a good corporate rate there - it'd definitely be an award (which is available as of yesterday).

Order of importance to us:
(1) Access to a lounge with no questions, whether on award or paid rate.
(2) Proximity to the CY Pudong, walking distance, if the recommendation is some other property.
(3) Generally nice hotel...I'm not expecting luxe but don't want a beat-up old hotel either.
(4) Onsite facilities like a lobby bar serving late night food when the lounge is closed would be a plus.
(5) Because it was mentioned upthread...indoor pool would be a plus.
(6) Upgrades. Botton of the list because on a 10-nighter, I know they aren't coughing up a big suite no matter where I go. If one hotel's rooms are bigger than the other, that might slightly sway my decision.
(7) Some WiFi would be nice...but not essential. We'll likely have connectivity provided to us during the day.

If the CY meets 1 through 4, then it's probably a go. Otherwise, comments about the Renaissance are welcome...I assume other Marriotts are too far away for consideration.

UPDATE: I now realize, from looking at some of the non-Courtyard Shanghai threads, that Golds/Plats do get lounge access at the Courtyards. So that's good. Also seems like the Ren is about 3km away...maybe a smidge longer than I'd ordinarily walk, but I'm still interested in hearing thoughts about it.

Other posters are kind of down on the CY Pudong - seeing references to small rooms. I know suites are probably off the board, but do Plats typically get good room assignments...decent sized rooms...in this hotel?

Last edited by pinniped; Sep 1, 2011 at 2:06 pm
Old Sep 1, 2011, 4:29 pm

Glad to see this thread bumped, so I can ask for some advice! We're going to be in Shanghai in a few weeks and are planning on using points for CY for a few nights. Since we're only Silver, not likely to get an upgrade, right?
Therefore, one consideration is how new/nice the property is for regular rooms. Another is how convenient the location is (I have no problem using public transportation, so a subway close by would be fine.)

The properties I'm looking at are:

1. Courtyard Puxi (new and good location, right?)
2. Courtyard Xujiahui
3. Courtyard Jiading (I'm concerned about the location of this one, but it's the only one that lets you reserve an exec. room with lounge access for the same 10K points, and that would be REALLY nice for us.

TIA for any thoughts, advice.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by hard2please
Glad to see this thread bumped, so I can ask for some advice! We're going to be in Shanghai in a few weeks and are planning on using points for CY for a few nights. Since we're only Silver, not likely to get an upgrade, right?
Therefore, one consideration is how new/nice the property is for regular rooms. Another is how convenient the location is (I have no problem using public transportation, so a subway close by would be fine.)

The properties I'm looking at are:

1. Courtyard Puxi (new and good location, right?)
2. Courtyard Xujiahui
3. Courtyard Jiading (I'm concerned about the location of this one, but it's the only one that lets you reserve an exec. room with lounge access for the same 10K points, and that would be REALLY nice for us.

TIA for any thoughts, advice.
I go to Shanghai once a month and can recommend CY Xujiahui, which is my pick lately because they have been giving me suite upgrades for my MR platinum membership.

Besides that, the location is great - short walking distance to shopping malls and subway.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Flyer888
I go to Shanghai once a month and can recommend CY Xujiahui, which is my pick lately because they have been giving me suite upgrades for my MR platinum membership.

Besides that, the location is great - short walking distance to shopping malls and subway.
Thanks, although I won't be getting that upgrade you enjoy. Is it nicer than Puxi? And is it closer to subway than Puxi?

Anyone have any info on the other one? I'd love the exec. room but I'd hate to find out I'm stranded and dependent on taxis to get anywhere...
Old Sep 3, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler

I've only stayed at the Xujiahui, but I wouldn't stay anywhere else. I thought the location was terrific and the employees, especially the concierge downstairs and the CL gals upstairs were fantastic. I had an experience with a dishonest cab driver, reported it to the concierge along with my receipts, and got an extraordinary resolution. The concierge spent a lot of time investigating the fraud and even said the VP of the company wanted to meet with me to offer his apologies. I requested that the concierge keep the settlement funds and have a good meal somewhere. I found other employees of the hotel to be equally competent and honest. Moral: if you take a taxi from the airport train terminal, make sure the meter is running and that you get a receipt. Verify the amount with the hotel employee on arrival as the cabbies in Shanghai tend to see Americans as goldmines.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 2:57 pm

Okay, that's two recommendations for the CY Xujiahui! It's funny, I'd been hearing how great the Puxi location was... Isn't the Xujiahui further from downtown, or wherever the center of things is?
Old Sep 4, 2011, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by hard2please
Okay, that's two recommendations for the CY Xujiahui! It's funny, I'd been hearing how great the Puxi location was... Isn't the Xujiahui further from downtown, or wherever the center of things is?
Puxi is actually closer to the city center, but it is not a hot spot like Xujiahui is.

I have not tried CY Puxi as it is farther away from my workplace, but I am sure considering the hotel facilities alone it will be better than CY Xujiahui. In general, it would be a tie for the transportation.

If being closer to shopping malls and supermarkets is not that important to you, definitely go for CY Puxi for the nicer room/hotel facilities.

I just read that CY Puxi is the biggest CY in China and 3rd in the world. That interests me.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 4:11 am

Puxi is actually closer to the city center, but it is not a hot spot like Xujiahui is.

I have not tried CY Puxi as it is farther away from my workplace, but I am sure considering the hotel facilities alone it will be better than CY Xujiahui. In general, it would be a tie for the transportation.

If being closer to shopping malls and supermarkets is not that important to you, definitely go for CY Puxi for the nicer room/hotel facilities.

I just read that CY Puxi is the biggest CY in China and 3rd in the world. That interests me.
In what sense is Xujiahui a "hot spot"? As in trendy neighborhood? Or nightlife? Shopping is not so important to me, and I'm guessing I'll find a lot of that in Shanghai anyway.

Nobody seems to know anything about the other CY location . Is it too new, or just not convenient to anything?
Old Sep 4, 2011, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Speaking of 'hoods, what is the area around the CY Pudong like? It sounds like it's the financial district...I'm probably getting on the train to get to interesting nighttime neighorhoods??
Old Sep 5, 2011, 1:30 am
Suspended

Assuming it's now open, has anyone stayed here yet????????
Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:30 am
Suspended

Delayed opening

surprisingly, Marriott.com website still lists September as opening date

Last edited by BKKLEE; Sep 19, 2011 at 7:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.