FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   (Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/706079-pre-2019-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-shanghai-china.html)

srk123 Jul 23, 2010 4:42 pm

Courtyard Shanghai Puxi Opened July 2010

I'll be going to the Shanghai Expo 2010 in late September. I see another Courtyard opened in Shanghai earlier this month, which I can stay at for 10,000 points per night. It is located near the railway station. Anyone already stayed there who can comment on it? Or any other ideas about going to the Expo?

SC Alum Jul 24, 2010 6:16 pm

+1 same here. Any info?

lululee Aug 8, 2010 11:50 pm

Delayed in Opening

Courtyard Puxi did not open in July. The opening was going to be delayed to August. But i just called them, and apparently the opening will be delayed again to September. You better call them periodically to check the opening date before expecting to make a reservation.

srk123 Aug 9, 2010 12:09 am

I already have a confirmed 5-night reservation for Sept. 27. What happens if the place isn't open by then--can they just cancel me out or can I insist on a better Marriott property for the same price (I am Marriott Silver)?

Cheetah_SA Aug 23, 2010 10:59 am

Marriott Executive Apartments - Tomorrow Square Shanghai

Anyone have any experience of these? (I did a search with zero success.)

I need a place for 3 adults and the 2-bedroomed apartment looks like a neat solution. But I have no idea what to expect apart from what's on the website. So I would appreciate any views on Marriott executive apartments in general and these in particular.

Some specific questions:
- Will we have the facilities of the JW Marriott (like pool, concierge, room service etc)? It seems from the web site that we will.
- Listed as a complimentary service is "Grab & go breakfast". What does this entail?
- Although touted as "on People's Square" it looks as if the metro stations are a good kilometre away. Am I right in deducing that the walk to the metro will be a not inconsiderable inconvenience most of the time?

The last question relates to the JW Marriott on the same site so folks who have been there could comment too.

Thanks! :)

hhoope01 Aug 23, 2010 1:03 pm

I haven't stayed or seen the actual apartments in Shanghai, but I have seen the once in Wuhan. I would guess they would be similar. Those were very roomy and very nice. The ones in Wuhan were in the same building as the Ren and had full access to all the hotel amenities. So I would think you would have access to all the JW amenities as well.

I can't answer from experience on the "Grab and Go" breakfast either, but if I remember correctly, staying in the Ren gave CL access to anyone staying in the Exec Apartments.

And finally, I seem to remember taking a cab from the train station (at least the one I took from the airport.) I took the Maglev train (that was a very interesting ride) from the airport then connected with a short cab ride to the hotel.

Cheetah_SA Aug 25, 2010 12:23 am

Thanks, hhoope01. CL access would be fantastic! Anyone else with experiences with Marriott Executive Apartments able to confirm?

From the web site it's difficult to get a good idea of what's provided. I see they only have 3x a week housekeeping service, for instance. But there is no indication of what is provided by way of toiletries, coffee/tea etc. or detergents for example. I'd much rather arrive prepared than have to hunt down a convenience store for the esesentials.

mapu Aug 25, 2010 2:25 am

I stay at the JW frequently, but haven't seen the apartments.

The building, which the JW and the MEA share, is at the western most end of People's Square while the subway station is at the eastern end. You can walk and it's easy to navigate, but it's a good ten minutes. Otherwise taxis are readily available at the entrance.

From what I remember from the guest manual, MEA guests are allowed to use the pool, gym, etc. and there is a resident's lounge where breakfast is served as well.

Cheetah_SA Aug 28, 2010 4:11 am

Thanks for the info, mapu. I fired off a few questions via the Marriott web site and got back rather unhelpful responses with very little that wasn't already on the web site and not addressing my specific questions at all.

They also gave me the hotel's physical address, phone and fax numbers :rolleyes: and suggested I contact them. I tried the fax and it doesn't answer. :( :rolleyes: So now I've asked Marriott for an e-mail address for the hotel. Hopefully perseverance will win out in the end...

maltasr Aug 28, 2010 4:51 am

Possible to Upgrade in Shanghai Using Points?

We'll be spending five nights at the Shanghai Courtyard Xujiahui in late September using Marriott points. From reviews I've read on TripAdvisor, this particular Courtyard has an outstanding concierge/club level. I'm wondering if I can use additional points or pay a cash differential to get upgraded to the club floor. Has anyone had experience doing this kind of transaction in order to be upgraded when paying for the room with points? I'm a basic Silver Marriott Rewards member so don't have much leverage in that regard. Any suggestions/advice will be appreciated. I really want that upgrade, but as my father used to say: "The people in hell really want ice water too!" Thanks!!

qazw1 Aug 28, 2010 9:18 am

I did reward rooms for friends there and did not remember any options to upgrade via points. I also have rooms at the Renaissance and they automatically put me on the club floor because I was Platinum. However, the rooms were the same size.

Food is so cheap once you get away from the hotel that I am not sure it is worth the points to upgrade just for the lounge.

maltasr Aug 28, 2010 9:57 am

Originally Posted by qazw1 (Post 14561969)
I did reward rooms for friends there and did not remember any options to upgrade via points. I also have rooms at the Renaissance and they automatically put me on the club floor because I was Platinum. However, the rooms were the same size.

Food is so cheap once you get away from the hotel that I am not sure it is worth the points to upgrade just for the lounge.

I was thinking I may be able to pay a surcharge or differential to obtain the upgrade. We did this in Rio a few years ago and there were no problems, although I believe the difference was around $60 per night. I called the hotel in Shanghai to inquire but couldn't get anywhere due to the language problem. Fortunately, one of the people in our party speaks fluent Mandarin.

Taiwaned Sep 8, 2010 6:23 pm

Official opening date - September 1, 2010

We spent September 7 and 8 here.

This is a brand new hotel so there are positives and things they still have to iron out.

Location is fantastic. A block down from the Pacific Department Store and two blocks from the Shanghai Railway Station. The closest subway is the Number 1 line and it is less than a block away. Line 3 and 4 is two-three blocks toward the railway station. If you need your western food, Starbucks, McDonalds and KFC are a block away. Construction of a highrise is happing right infront of the hotel. This will not be a problem in the future but it was happening 24 hours a day while we were there. The concrete was been shot up 20 stories so the pumper's banging kept us on edge both nights.

The building is quite beautiful for a Courtyard. Doesn't have a Courtyard feel but who ever picked the colors inside the rooms need to give a head a shake. Its a bright yellow (more lemon) color. Looks good now but a few years its going to look like an old Courtyard. (maybe that is the plan)

Kinks that are need to be ironed out. Electricity!!!! Our rooms circuit keeps blowing out. Not once but thrice. Each time engineers has to come and reset the breakers. The engineers keep saying "Sorry but its a new hotel, small adjustments still need to be made." The tile and glass shims were still in our bathroom. The elevator signage were still paper labels (that are peeling). The outside signage has not been lit up yet so finding the hotel is hard at night. (many taxi drivers are still not aware of this hotel so you need to give them the address and point when you get near there) The gift shop is not open yet.

Staff is really trying hard to be helpful. Most willing group of workers we have ever seen. After saying that they still have some real training issues. Just a few examples: Went to grab a cup of coffee in the morning, this took 35 minutes to go down the hall, down to the second floor and back up to my room. Why? Lots of take out cups but NO LIDS. Asked for American Coffee, received first a capachino then expresso then finally a cup of coffee. Asked for some milk, they gave me a full carton of milk (which I refused, wanted just a little thus another 5 minutes looking for another cup and lid) Then they packed it in a large paper bag with handles (like a gift bags) and then how to enter a cup of coffee in the POS machine so they can charge me. By this time, the coffee was luke warm. Asked them to get me another cup of coffee because my wife will want a hot cup of coffee. They wanted to charge me for TWO cups of coffee........ It was funny and I wasn't in any rush so it was kind of entertaining but if I was in a rush, would not be funny.

Would we stay here again? Maybe. The 100 USD per night was irresitable but I see that the prices have gone up. Have to give this place another try to get a clear feel for the place without all these hickups.

qazw1 Sep 9, 2010 2:26 pm

If this courtyard is like the others in Shanghai, point redemption is like 10,000 points a night. I would use points instead of the $100+/night.

maltasr Sep 10, 2010 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Taiwaned (Post 14624482)
We spent September 7 and 8 here.

This is a brand new hotel so there are positives and things they still have to iron out.

Location is fantastic. A block down from the Pacific Department Store and two blocks from the Shanghai Railway Station. The closest subway is the Number 1 line and it is less than a block away. Line 3 and 4 is two-three blocks toward the railway station. If you need your western food, Starbucks, McDonalds and KFC are a block away. Construction of a highrise is happing right infront of the hotel. This will not be a problem in the future but it was happening 24 hours a day while we were there. The concrete was been shot up 20 stories so the pumper's banging kept us on edge both nights.

The building is quite beautiful for a Courtyard. Doesn't have a Courtyard feel but who ever picked the colors inside the rooms need to give a head a shake. Its a bright yellow (more lemon) color. Looks good now but a few years its going to look like an old Courtyard. (maybe that is the plan)

Kinks that are need to be ironed out. Electricity!!!! Our rooms circuit keeps blowing out. Not once but thrice. Each time engineers has to come and reset the breakers. The engineers keep saying "Sorry but its a new hotel, small adjustments still need to be made." The tile and glass shims were still in our bathroom. The elevator signage were still paper labels (that are peeling). The outside signage has not been lit up yet so finding the hotel is hard at night. (many taxi drivers are still not aware of this hotel so you need to give them the address and point when you get near there) The gift shop is not open yet.

Staff is really trying hard to be helpful. Most willing group of workers we have ever seen. After saying that they still have some real training issues. Just a few examples: Went to grab a cup of coffee in the morning, this took 35 minutes to go down the hall, down to the second floor and back up to my room. Why? Lots of take out cups but NO LIDS. Asked for American Coffee, received first a capachino then expresso then finally a cup of coffee. Asked for some milk, they gave me a full carton of milk (which I refused, wanted just a little thus another 5 minutes looking for another cup and lid) Then they packed it in a large paper bag with handles (like a gift bags) and then how to enter a cup of coffee in the POS machine so they can charge me. By this time, the coffee was luke warm. Asked them to get me another cup of coffee because my wife will want a hot cup of coffee. They wanted to charge me for TWO cups of coffee........ It was funny and I wasn't in any rush so it was kind of entertaining but if I was in a rush, would not be funny.

Would we stay here again? Maybe. The 100 USD per night was irresitable but I see that the prices have gone up. Have to give this place another try to get a clear feel for the place without all these hickups.

Was considering changing our five night reservation next week from the CY Xujiahui to this property. After reading your review, I think I'll remain where we are. I'd find the night construction noise very disturbing without even adding other negatives. Thanks for the heads-up!