FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   (Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/706079-pre-2019-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-shanghai-china.html)

yyliu88 Nov 26, 2006 9:01 pm

Thanks, I was talking about award with certificate!

Originally Posted by pevo
in september, mrs. pevo and i used 2 one-free-night certificates from getting marriott credit cards.

when i made the reservation, they told me i would have to pay tax (which was going to come to around $40), but none was ever charged.

i don't know about award stay w/ points

Argonaut1000 Nov 30, 2006 3:39 am

Managed to book a recent PL stay at US120 / night at this hotel.

moondog Nov 30, 2006 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Argonaut1000 (Post 6770116)
Managed to book a recent PL stay at US120 / night at this hotel.

you did well. last i checked, the adr for that property was over $275

yyliu88 Nov 30, 2006 9:52 am

sounds like a good place for my free night certificate from Visa card.^ ^ ^

Originally Posted by LisaH (Post 5375670)
I stayed there last year and the year before. Definitely one of my favorite hotels. The location is very good (I grew up in Shanghai). The service is top notch, and the room is very nicely furnished and comfortable. As a gold member, I got to go the concierge lounge for free. Breakfast there is really good. Hopefully my company will send me there again this spring.

Argonaut1000 Nov 30, 2006 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by yyliu88 (Post 6771564)
sounds like a good place for my free night certificate from Visa card.^ ^ ^

I have no status with Marriott - but this hotel treats you with style!

From the greeting at the front entrance to the walk up to your room. Fruit basket / night turn down service / in room tea, coffee. Location is quite central to many sights in Shanghai. Everything is class!

Well worth US275 - but a steal on PL !

lucky9876coins Dec 13, 2006 9:15 am

Anyone have a corporate code they could PM me? I am planning on going to PVG in April, and am showing a $320+ rate, which is just too steep. I would appreciate any help!

Thanks

moondog Dec 13, 2006 11:48 am

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins (Post 6841689)
Anyone have a corporate code they could PM me? I am planning on going to PVG in April, and am showing a $320+ rate, which is just too steep. I would appreciate any help!

Thanks

i can find you a hotel in sh for much less than that, but not the jw

travelexpert Dec 17, 2006 12:33 am

What's the latest? Where are these located?

TRAVELSIG Jan 7, 2007 4:18 am

Just returned from this hotel 01-04Jan.
I stay here about once a month- this is one of my favorite hotels in Shanghai along with the Pudong Shangri-La, but the JW is usually a more convenient location depending on where you are working.
This is really a top hotel- the executive levels offer very good value as you receive free breakfast and drinks (including a good selection of imports etc) and exceptional service.
On this trip I took the hotel car as I was very tired on arrival- they have a fleet of Audis (not sure if A6L or A8) and they provide a very comfortable ride from PVG to the hotel. On arrival at the hotel, two staff were waiting- one to take bags, and one to take directly to the room. Check in was done in the room, which was an upgrade from a deluxe corner room to a junior suite as a Marriott Gold. The room was quite nice- on the 59th floor which is convenient as this is the same as the lounge and avoids the whole elevator hassle. A few times previously I have had larger rooms- typically on the 45th/46th floors, which still provide lounge access and exec amenities- but it is more of a hassle as the elevator wait can be relative long at certain times of day.
Ordered room service the first night there- and asked for some things that were not on the menu- they provided without any problems. By the way, the spa is exceptionally good- it is located on level 6 in the other part of the building- and is worth booking in advance. I personally really like the foot massage- it is much more expensive than a lot of other spas in Shanghai- but they really do a good job and the atmosphere is gorgeous.
The only complaint I had is that even with the do not distrub sign on the door, a manager stopped by around 10 PM the first night to see if everything was OK. I was just falling asleep so this was a bit annoying but not the end of the world. After asking them to respect the DND sign there were no further issues.
One comment- the conceirge in most PVG hotels, with the exception of the FS, do not seem well versed on the city. Typically, for example, they are not familiar with top restaurants etc, and need you to provide the number/street address. The only other problem is that this hotel name does not translate very well in Chinese, so make sure you take the card from the hotel with you- even with native Chinese speakers many taxis have trouble finding this hotel. All in all, I think the rooms are the best in Shanghai with the separate tubs/showers, the large closet spaces, and the extermely comfortable desks. The only strange thing this time is that the TV was not plasma, and quite old- every other room I have stayed at in the hotel had plasma tvs so not sure what was up with this one.
I usually pay, by the way, around 2500 RMB for confirmed executive level corner room, and get an upgrade 80% of the time. There are lower rates, in fact you can find some deals going down to 1300 RMB in my experience, if you look around, but I am usually in PVG during the week as opposed to the weekend when rates drop significantly.
So, the end of the story is:
Best Service in Shanghai Pudong Shangri La
Best overall experience in Shanghai JW
Most knowledgable conceirge FS Shanghai

moondog Jan 7, 2007 10:45 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 6967101)
Most knowledgable conceirge FS Shanghai

i like the portman concierge staff myself. in fact, i find them so useful that i: 1) keep their number in my cell phone; 2) pay for their gold card every year; and 3) tip them on a regular basis.

ps - i hope i don't open up an old can of worms with #3 :)

allset2travel Jan 7, 2007 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 6967101)
On this trip I took the hotel car as I was .....

Thanks for the report. I agree that the Shangri-La is very good. Never stayed at this JW yet.
Would you care to mention how much is the ride from airport to hotel in the hotel limo? Can you charge that to your room? Just curious. Thx

TRAVELSIG Jan 9, 2007 10:46 am

Originally Posted by allset2travel (Post 6971075)
Thanks for the report. I agree that the Shangri-La is very good. Never stayed at this JW yet.
Would you care to mention how much is the ride from airport to hotel in the hotel limo? Can you charge that to your room? Just curious. Thx

590 RMB. It can be charged to your room.
Check out the JW if you want to be in that area of town- it is nice.

allset2travel Jan 9, 2007 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 6981475)
590 RMB. It can be charged to your room.
Check out the JW if you want to be in that area of town- it is nice.

Cool! Thanks a bunch.

sadeghi Jan 15, 2007 4:18 am

Any updates on the whether the fee and/or service charge is still charged if you use your Marriott points?

zakami Jan 15, 2007 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by cpx (Post 6281250)
Not only in China, but also in India, you are liable for the tax on free nights.
Luxury taxes are not cheap there either. This is true for most
hotels and resorts.

in many cases, paying for the night might turn out close to even.

This is not true in India. I have stay at all the Marriott properties in India (except Hyderabad and executive apartments in Mumbai) including the former one in Delhi on awards and have never had to pay taxes or fees. It has never even been brought up.