FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   (Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/706079-pre-2019-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-shanghai-china.html)

iwpingmu Mar 4, 08 12:52 pm

I don't think JW marriott is the top of the line in Shanghai now

Overpriced all the time

Yuyuan Renaissance is a newer nice hotel, Cat 3 and only 15k per night comapred with JW at 25K, pay rate is also just half of the JW

Of course there is no other Marriott Properties at the same level as JW
Strongly recommedate Le Meridian in the heart of the city which is very nice SPG4 property, better than JW

6cf0uMBz Apr 17, 08 1:34 pm

Shanghai...recommend Ren. or CY?

Im going on a week trip to Shanghai Sunday and wanted to see out of the Renaissance Shanghai Yuyuan Hotel and Courtyard Shanghai-Pudong if anyone recommended one over the other. The Renaissance is essentially the same price and a bit closer to my office but I've read that the Courtyard is a newer property than the Renaissance.

If you stayed at either or both your experience is appreciated. Thanks

Idranet Apr 18, 08 9:46 am

Stayed in both of these in Sep/Oct of 2007. Ren YuYuan is brand new, near the YuYuan Gardens, and the street in front of the hotel has construction going on. Hotel was lovely, but it can be difficult to get a taxi. CY Pudong is an established business hotel, also quite nice. Staff was excellent.

To me, both are good choices, and I would choose based on location more than anything else. It can be difficult getting around Shanghai during rush hours. I think you'll enjoy either one.

See this thread for some info on YuYuan

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ghlight=yuyuan

Have a good trip!

6cf0uMBz Apr 18, 08 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Idranet (Post 9595329)
Stayed in both of these in Sep/Oct of 2007. Ren YuYuan is brand new, near the YuYuan Gardens, and the street in front of the hotel has construction going on. Hotel was lovely, but it can be difficult to get a taxi. CY Pudong is an established business hotel, also quite nice. Staff was excellent.

To me, both are good choices, and I would choose based on location more than anything else. It can be difficult getting around Shanghai during rush hours. I think you'll enjoy either one.

See this thread for some info on YuYuan

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ghlight=yuyuan

Have a good trip!

Thanks....I booked the YuYuan since its a bit closer to the office. looking forward to the stay.

SanDiego1K May 13, 08 9:30 pm

Can anyone confirm having stayed at the JW Shanghai in 2008 on an award and not having been charged the service charge? My reservation says:

Using your points will cover your room charge and tax, but additional service charges or resort fees may apply. Please inquire at check-in.

iwpingmu May 13, 08 9:35 pm

all the marriott award fees had been cancelled since 1/1/2007 in both China and HK

now it is a "real" free room, as well as Priority club, starwood and hilton properties

additional service charges refer to "incidence"

SanDiego1K May 24, 08 5:29 pm

I am back at the JW Marriott, enjoying the superb platinum treatment. I was in touch before arrival, as I knew we would arrive mid morning. The day before I arrived, I saw that our online room assignment was upgraded to a studio with executive lounge access.

Sure enough, on arriving at 10am, we were given a king studio on the 44th floor. It has a comfortable sitting area, and a TV in a hutch that divides the living area from the bed area. The TV swivels 180 degrees so that it can be seen from the bed or sofa. The one quibble I have is that the bathroom is immediately off the bed area, with a glassed in door. Thus, turning on a light during the night means that the bed is flooded with light.

The lounge has a nice assortment of appetizers in the evening, with very attentive service from staff. There are two computers free for use, as well as free wireless service.

Smog is attrocious. You cannot see the sky at all. The last time I was here was in a Feb, and I don't remember the smog at all.

Be sure to get cards for taxis before going out. Even with the cards, we are finding drivers trying to drop us off somewhere close but not where we are going; I think they just don't know. And even with a card for the hotel, the drivers seem very confused.

anglophile Aug 8, 08 6:20 pm

Ren Shanghai Yuyuan - 4 people / room?

It seems like the Yuyuan is one of the few hotels in Shanghai w/ the option of 2 doubles. Are these standard US-doubles? In other words, could we squeeze 4 people in there without raising too many red flags (online only lets you book for 2)?

Thanks!

LonesomeTraveller Aug 9, 08 3:10 pm

What I've been told is that these "online max" statements are usually related to local fire codes. I got burned on that once: took my wife and daughter with me on a trip to Paris, Marriott.com told me it was a two-person room. It was explained to me that the local city government in Paris is *very* strict with their fire codes, and that I needed a second room or I couldn't stay.

Don't know if Shanghai is equally as strict, though.

Raymeister Aug 10, 08 3:10 am

Renaissance Yuyuan

Not exactly your topic, but the Yuyuan is yet almost unknown. It is centrally located and features very nice modern design. Restaurant staff is a little helpless and the air condition there makes it always very chilly. Food, nevertheless, was quite acceptable. Luckily haven´t seen any hookers there, which can be painstaking in Shanghai hotels.

Jac747 Oct 9, 08 4:33 pm

Shanghai JW using pts

If I book a room here using our pts but my husband, whose name the account is under, does not join me, will there be a problem? I just did this in NYC and had no problems. Thanks.

bitburgr Oct 9, 08 6:18 pm

There might be a problem if your husband finds out you're going to Shanghai without him (;)) but, no, Marriott won't have a issue.

hhoope01 Oct 9, 08 7:58 pm

As you probably did in NYC make sure to order the award in your name and you should be fine. In fact, per Marriott Concierge, this can now be done with e-certs rather than paper certs now.

Jac747 Oct 10, 08 9:25 am

Thanks-actually, I did not order the cert. in my name for NY but called Marriott this time and did it all by phone instead, including my name only on the cert.

TravellerOnline Oct 14, 08 11:30 am

It's a nice hotel in a good location. Check out the little library in the lounge -- the highest library in the world, and Catherine's 5 on the top floor of the Art Museum across the street. Enjoy.