FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   (Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/706079-pre-2019-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-shanghai-china.html)

johnaalex May 13, 2010 10:10 am

Just had this e-mail

VISIT SHANGHAI AND
GET 2,000 BONUS POINTS

HOTEL SPECIALS: SHANGHAI, CHINA

From 1 May to 31 August, 2010, book your stay at the new Renaissance® Shanghai Putuo Hotel and be rewarded with 2,000 bonus points per stay. Just a few minutes from the Expo 2010 Shanghai China, the hotel offers easy access to Hongqiao Airport and Shanghai's key cultural landmarks.

BOOK NOW, offer available for a limited time!

ScottKar May 16, 2010 4:53 am

JW Marriott Shanghai @ Tomorrow Square

I just returned yesterday (Sat., May 15) from 5 nights at JW Marriott @ Tomorrow Sq in Shanghai seeing the Expo. Priceline rate was $88/night or $520 total for 5 nights after taxes & fees.

Hotel was terrific! Tremendous views (our room was Flr 44). Comfy beds. Wonderful bathroom. Great lap pool plus deluxe gym. Only minus was $7/day Internet room charge which stinks so I used free WiFi in lobby on flr 38. Unbeatable location - shopping, 20 walk to Bund. Much better than in Pudong.

Hotel has free but somewhat infrequent Expo shuttle. We took Metro/subway - ~4 stops on #8 Line

doclkk Jun 8, 2010 6:17 pm

Stayed here. Good view. Upgraded room was kinda small, but I'm only gold.

Great Staff. Breakfast is ok - but the omelettes aren't bad. As a gold member, you get internet free.

Staff excellent
Location - not bad (right near subway ... not hard to get to World Expo in Pudong)
Room - Nicely done. Comfortable bed. Fast internet.

oneLnot2 Jun 9, 2010 7:04 pm

Thanks a lot for the updated info. I'm staying there on award booking beginning the 26th.
p.s How was the crowds at the Expo?

maltasr Jun 20, 2010 11:36 pm

HELP!! Shanghai CY Xujiahui or CY Pudong?

We are fortunate to be able to attend the Shanghai World Expo in September. I want to use my reward points to reserve two rooms at one of the two above named Courtyards, both Cat. 2 properties. I've carefully read the reader comments on TripAdvisor for both properties and each is rated very highly. I believe the Xujiahui property received slightly more favorable reviews but is located further from the Expo site than the Pudong property. Both CYs are near metro lines that would make getting to Expo relatively painless. Could anyone who knows Shanghai and/or who has stayed at either or both of these properties give me some insight as to the better choice before I commit 80K points? Currently both hotels are available for reward booking, but I'd like to make a decision soon and get one major task in trip planning completed. Your advice will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

mapu Jun 21, 2010 8:43 am

Do you have any status with Marriott Rewards? Golds/Plats get free breakfast at the CY Pudong.

maltasr Jun 21, 2010 8:49 am

Originally Posted by mapu (Post 14169568)
Do you have any status with Marriott Rewards? Golds/Plats get free breakfast at the CY Pudong.

Wife is Gold, but she's not going. I'm just a lowly Silver. Thanks for the tip though.

maltasr Jun 22, 2010 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by mapu (Post 14169568)

I thought all Courtyards provided free breakfast. But which one would be more convenient for someone using public transportation?

mapu Jun 22, 2010 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by maltasr (Post 14179833)
I thought all Courtyards provided free breakfast. But which one would be more convenient for someone using public transportation?

The "Guaranteed Lounge Access/Free Continental Breakfast" benefit only applies to JW Marriott, Marriott, Renaissance and Authograph Collection. See: https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mem...nefits/gold.mi

Both locations are close to a subway station. CY Pudong is closer to the EXPO.

nldogbert Jun 23, 2010 12:45 am

Never been to the CY Pudong, but stayed at the CY Xujiahui. What I like about it is the nice modern rooms and the lounge [not sure if you can upgrade to use the lounge since you are staying on rewards]. The swimming pool has a nice view of the rooftop which is very nicely lit in the evening.

Staff were very friendly and a stone throw away from shopping and the subway.

Cheers!

qazw1 Jun 23, 2010 1:22 am

We booked rooms at that CY for an upcoming trip. I believe there is a thread that is couple months old with all the answers about this CY as well as other options for the EXPO.

iflyuaaa Jun 23, 2010 1:31 am

stayed at xujiahuai cy earlier this year and loved it. $60/night f&f rate, free lounge access w/platinum, free breakfast and dinner (it's hour dourves, but we used it as our full dinner 3 nights and it was plenty) free booze in the lounge. free wifi in the lounge and if you go to lounge and log on for free, you can go back to your room and the connection will remain free. absolutely loved it and highly recommend it if you are platinum and can get that rate. i'd stay there any day. very convenient to subway as well. if not platinum, i'm not sure if it woudl be good. all the things i loved about it came because of platinum.

maltasr Jun 23, 2010 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by iflyuaaa (Post 14180625)
stayed at xujiahuai cy earlier this year and loved it. $60/night f&f rate, free lounge access w/platinum, free breakfast and dinner (it's hour dourves, but we used it as our full dinner 3 nights and it was plenty) free booze in the lounge. free wifi in the lounge and if you go to lounge and log on for free, you can go back to your room and the connection will remain free. absolutely loved it and highly recommend it if you are platinum and can get that rate. i'd stay there any day. very convenient to subway as well. if not platinum, i'm not sure if it woudl be good. all the things i loved about it came because of platinum.

I'm definitely leaning towards the Xujiahuai property based on what you say and the many very positive reviews in TA. Since my wife won't be along (automatic upgrade to EL) I'm wondering if they would permit me to pay the difference or to use more points. I have two rooms reserved with points, but I think I'd only need to upgrade one of the rooms and the three of us could probably use the lounge. Any thoughts on this? This may not be completely upright, but I am spending 80,000 points which have taken a long time to accumulate.

srk123 Jul 18, 2010 10:37 pm

Courtyards in Shanghai, China

I'll be going to Shanghai for Expo 2010 in September for 5 nights and I see there are 2 Courtyards in Shanghai and they only require 10,000 points per night. Anyone have any experience with either one--either positive or negative?

mapu Jul 19, 2010 1:13 am

A recent discussion on the Shanghai Courtyards can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...cy-pudong.html