Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Hotel San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Hotel San Francisco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2023, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by SQ88
I am quite concerned because I now see a message saying "Please note - A daily destination fee of USD 35 plus tax will be added to the room rate and includes a food and beverage credit, 2 cable car tickets and more." when making a new reservation.
Yuck, it is getting harder and harder to find hotels without junk fees.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 1:02 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by bjdj94
Yuck, it is getting harder and harder to find hotels without junk fees.
The Adagio is adding one May 1. I believe for full service Bonvoy properties in the area, that just leave the Le Meridien, the Palace, the St. Regis and the RC (and the Vacation Club property) as the ones without a destination fee at this point. Can definitely see it coming to the Palace soon. (Isn't it now being managed by the same GM as some of the nearby properties like the two Marriotts and the St. Francis?)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dw
The Adagio is adding one May 1.
The Adagio should pay its guests for staying there.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 9:15 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
if booking was made before they announce this scam, i believe it should be exempted from this junk fee.

am i right?

tia.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
As a matter of California contract law, such a unilaterally imposed fee may not be applied retroactively.

That does not mean you may not have to fight to get it removed.

Beaucoup BONV°Y™!
Old Nov 5, 2023, 9:49 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Had 2 night stay a couple of weeks ago. TL;DR - terrible front desk service, the room itself is good.

Check-in was perfunctory. FD agent going through the motion, asking the standard elite questions, and proceed to assign a Wonderful room instead of the Studio Suite that I had cleared into using SWU. Had to call to get a new room assigned, which ended up at a cool corner king on the 20th floor - it appears that Studio Suite on higher floor is basically rebranded Cool Corner King but on a higher floor, so buyers beware.

Room itself is comfortable, with the signature W bed and rain showerhead in the bathroom. The only drawback is there is not a lot of drawer storage - there is only 1 that I can find under the safe and overpriced minibar items. There is also limited counter space in the bathroom for your personal items - they added a small shelf attempting to resolve that issue. The only work space is the stool next to the minibar area. I guess one can work from the couch seating area, but the window in the background would be terrible for video calls. There is also a limited number of power plugs available reachable from the couch area.

The bar is busy as always. Helpful tip: it seems that they only had 1 server roaming the entire area. If you want your drink faster, get it from the bartender directly or sit at the bar.

Since it was Halloween weekend, the bar was closed on Friday for a private event that requires admission charge, which they did not disclose at check-in or any time. Yes, they were loud with DJ provided music, but thank goodness the noise did not travel up to the 20th floor. Also, my corporate rate waived the destination fee, otherwise I would not have an opportunity to use up the F&B credit.

I took the points instead of free limited breakfast, so no review on that front.

Overall, this is exactly the same as it ever was for W SF - chilly service with no generosity, comfortable bed, decently functional stylish rooms, overpriced drinks.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 6:48 am

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
Had a pretty standard stay at the W SF a couple days ago. I was offered an upgrade to a Spectacular room from base level, but required two beds so needed to turn it down.

Check-in was prompt and pretty personable.

No in-room amenity unfortunately. I think this is my second W that didn't provide one which is always unfortunate.

We did go to the bar and it was fine. Ambience great, drinks nice, service not great as noted above. The prices are acceptable for SF standards, but can be a shocker if you're coming from abroad

Breakfast consisted of a $15 credit off the main menu, or any dishes from an elite menu (oatmeal, avocado toast, something else) and coffee/juice.

I'm now noticing a biling issue - charged on both my gift card and credit card, so I'll have to get that fixed. Otherwise, I'd return - I really like this area of town as well. My corporate rate did waive the destination charge.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by loganre17
I'm now noticing a biling issue - charged on both my gift card and credit card, so I'll have to get that fixed. Otherwise, I'd return - I really like this area of town as well. My corporate rate did waive the destination charge.
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Also, my corporate rate waived the destination fee, otherwise I would not have an opportunity to use up the F&B credit.
Thanks for the updates! Just curious on the corporate rates and destination charges -- did your initial reservation confirmations show the destination fee included in the totals, and the hotel waived them after checking in? My corporate rate usually waives the destination charges, but it doesn't seem to show that in my confirmation so I wasn't sure if that is common (and it will be removed at the hotel). Deciding between the W and Grand Hyatt (where the waived destination fee is automatically excluded in my booking)...
Old Feb 27, 2024, 2:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by SpeedRicer
Thanks for the updates! Just curious on the corporate rates and destination charges -- did your initial reservation confirmations show the destination fee included in the totals, and the hotel waived them after checking in? My corporate rate usually waives the destination charges, but it doesn't seem to show that in my confirmation so I wasn't sure if that is common (and it will be removed at the hotel). Deciding between the W and Grand Hyatt (where the waived destination fee is automatically excluded in my booking)...
With the new Marriott.com interface, the confirmation would not show a destination fee if it is waived under the rate. Also, bear in mind that the destination fee waiver is hotel-specific and not a chain-wide benefit - it's up to each hotel to decide waive the fee under the corporate rate.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 1:26 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I just checked into the hotel and they had standard suites available but they said that they had already allocated all of the complementary upgrades and that they could sell me an upgrade to a suite for $400 but otherwise I would be in a cool corner room. So much for my ambassador status. Really disappointing.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 1:48 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by donotblink
I just checked into the hotel and they had standard suites available but they said that they had already allocated all of the complementary upgrades and that they could sell me an upgrade to a suite for $400 but otherwise I would be in a cool corner room. So much for my ambassador status. Really disappointing.
This property calls the corner rooms studio suites now and that is going to be the standard upgrade. This is not a suite heavy property. One Presidential Suite and a couple fantastic suites. If you are looking for upgrades in the neighborhood, the St. Regis has a much bigger supply available for upgrades. The Le Meridien/Jay should take the cake for this one as they have nearly 25% of their room count classified as suites but the new owners don't seem to care about abiding by Marriott's upgrade policies there. The only time I have regularly gotten upgraded to Fantastic Suites at the W SF was during the height of the pandemic when the hotel was empty.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 2:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by donotblink
Unfortunately very common at many SF Marriotts these days. StR policy is now to upgrade only to Grand Deluxe room (though higher upgrades are sometimes reported). At Palace and St. Francis, as Ambassador I had to fight to obtain upgrade into an available suite (after minimal initial upgrade of one room type). Limited experiences in recent years at MM and JW were minimal upgrades (and don't care for either property at all, thus the limited experiences).
Old Mar 15, 2024, 2:47 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
Unfortunately very common at many SF Marriotts these days. StR policy is now to upgrade only to Grand Deluxe room (though higher upgrades are sometimes reported). At Palace and St. Francis, as Ambassador I had to fight to obtain upgrade into an available suite (after minimal initial upgrade of one room type). Limited experiences in recent years at MM and JW were minimal upgrades (and don't care for either property at all, thus the limited experiences).
Haven't stayed the St. Regis since before the pandemic but got a Metropolitan Suite the last time I was there. I got a Superior Suite at the Palace earlier this year--but they are pricing those not much more than a regular room these days so many times they are fully booked. The Westin even in the SPG days would only occasionally give a suite in the landmark building or a regular room in the tower. The W since it opened never really gave upgrades to the Fantastic Suite--and even using a SNA usually resulted in it being denied. Did get it multiple times during the pandemic--but some of those nights I may have been the only non-staff member at the hotel. The pre-merger Marriott properties never gave much of anything aside from a higher floor or corner room.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Haven't stayed the St. Regis since before the pandemic
The policy there has changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.