Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Hotel San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Hotel San Francisco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2007, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Cool Mixed feelings

Staying here now on an SPG50 rate. I'm a Plat.

At checkin I was told that they upgraded me to a corner room. Indeed I am in a corner room, which really is a very nice room by hotel standards. It's only on the 10th floor, so perhaps a little bit more noisy than I would like, but not too bad. They did not ask me about my platinum amenity, and as it was late and I was tired I forgot to say anything. Then yesterday I found a note that because of the "do not disturb" sign on my door they were unable to delivery my amenity. The note instructed me to call whatever/whenever. I did, and they had no idea what amenity it might be, but said they would check with management and have it delivered. So far nothing. They also forgot to collect my SPG50 certificate. Do I stay quiet about that?

The TV is almost 6' off the floor. It is very uncomfortable to watch it unless you happen to be laying in bed. The DVD player in the room is a nice touch.

The desk chair, while comfortable, is entirely the wrong height to actually be of use in doing any sort of work on the desk, unless your upper body happens to be significantly "longer" than average.

The bottle of Voss water on my nightstand is offered to me at a convenient charge of $8. For water! What drugs are they on? And shouldn't I have some complimentary water as a Plat?

There isn't so much as a cup or a mug in the room, and no coffee making equipment. I don't care, I don't drink coffee, but I do drink tea, and I'm not about to try my immersion water heater in a glass.

I had room service twice so far. First day I had a $41 breakfast (that's with a $3 tip I added on top of the bill). It included an omelette, breakfast potatoes, juice and tea. It was all delicious, but $41??? In any case, the tea reeked of coffee. This is my pet peeve with the hospitality industry. People just don't understand that you have to use separate pots for tea and coffee. I left them a nice little note on the tray, thinking that someone might read it and perhaps would respond back to me. So far nothing. My second room service experience was $42 (again with a $3 tip). This time it was dinner and consisted of a chicken sandwich and a fruit salad. The chicken sandwich comes with nothing on the side except some olives, a pepper and some "pickles," meaning two slices of something that looked like a pickle. You actually have to order a side of fries if you want them. What's the last time you ordered a sandwich in a restaurant that didn't come with a side dish? Seriously!! On the positive note the sandwich was delicious. I also asked them for a mug (so I could use my immersion heater ) which they forgot to include and had to come back with. Instead of a mug I got one of those small coffee cups, but that worked out ok. They also tried to push wine on me. The delivery tray included 4 bottles of wine and a wine glass, and the guy offered me a taste. Some people might think this is a ncie touch, but personally I find that almost rude. If I had wanted wine I would have asked for wine.

I went to the gym today. The equipment is very nice and new, but there's not much of it. There are several treadmills, several bikes and several elliptical machines. There's a rack of free weights, *one* bench, and a 4-sided machine with adjustable weights. Not very impressive, but certainly serviceable. The pool is tiny, and has a depth of 3' on the shallow end and a whopping 4' on the deep end.

Last edited by sxpsxpsxp; Apr 17, 2007 at 11:25 pm Reason: Edited
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:49 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I can understand the fact that it's comfortable to eat room service in the room, but you are in one of the great food cities of the world and you aren't going out to eat!

They used to have coffee makers in the rooms here - wonder if they took them out?
Old Apr 18, 2007, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
I can understand the fact that it's comfortable to eat room service in the room, but you are in one of the great food cities of the world and you aren't going out to eat!
Or even just downstairs, for that matter. I eat at the XYZ Restaurant in the W SF even when staying elsewhere.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 6:47 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Had a lousy stay this weekend.. I have stayed there so many times I stopped counting but this is the first time that I don't get upgrade or get a nice room. Was given 2904 and it felt like I was sleeping in the elevator.. Elevator bank is so loud, crazy. Sent a message to the hotel today and got a reply very quickly, saying sorry and we are noting on your profile that you don't like this room ! amazing..
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood Plat, HH Gold
Agree that the W SF is below par. I've spent the last 9 mo's traveling back and forth to SF and it is my least favorite of the 5 properties where I stay. Front desk is generally friendly but the staff has had some real bungles like leaving other peoples laundry in my room and then not sending someone to get it when I informed the front desk. An hour later I literally had to give it to a passing maid in the hall. Would have hated to be the guy that was waiting for it.... I've had a handful of other small annoyances, nothing earth-shattering, but overall I find the service here to be below the other properties. For what it's worth, my SF rankings:

1. st. regis
2. meridien
3. palace (upgraded rooms are nice, hotel is a bit old)
4. st. francis (really busy and old, but good location... stay away from the main building, tower rooms are ok)
5. W
Old Apr 19, 2007, 12:02 pm

I used to stay at the W quite frequently over the years and was upgraded to a "real" two room suite, maybe twice or three times. Much more common was an upgrade to a corner room (without asking).

As for XYZ, breakfast is okay and convenient but there are a lot of other options within walking distance or a short cab ride.

If you can get a nice corporate rate, the St. Regis is really the best in the area given the fact it's so new. And you can eat at Ame.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 12:08 pm

Thank you for bringing up the TV. What were they thinking when they decided to put the TV on the highest shelf? Nevermind it wasn't a flatscreen (in my room at least) but then to shove it 6' high? Are we supposed to stand and watch? And this was an upgraded corner room.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
This morning there was a card in the door saying they were unable to provide turndown service because of the "do not distrub" sign. I've been here 4 nights now and have yet to have turndown service. Granted I've had the "do not disturb" sign on the door quite a bit. I guess they forgot to stick the card in the door the previous nights. *shrug*

Monday and tuesday mornigns the paper was on the floor in front of the door. Wednesday morning and today the paper was in a little W baggie hanging on the door knob. Wonder why the change?

As far as eating room service goes -- I generally hate it, but it's a time and convenience thing. Besides, I can then do work and eat, or watch TV and eat.

I'm checking out early tomorrow morning. Can't wait to see what that will be like!
Old Apr 20, 2007, 12:11 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I can't stand this hotel (see previous trip report) and won't stay there again anytime in the near future. Poorly trained staff (used to be my favorite of any *wood), lazy, and forgetting customer service.

Spa is wonderful (Bliss) and the scheduler there is amazing (I forget his name right now). Good location (about 50 feet from SOMA). Overpriced room service, dirty glasses, no upgrade as a Plat, etc. Not worth the $ imo. Very surprising how this used to be excellent hotel has gone downhill so quickly.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 9:05 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by ldsant
Very surprising how this used to be excellent hotel has gone downhill so quickly.
I would have to agree with that assessment...^
Old Apr 20, 2007, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Hmm, I am a regular at this hotel and I have experienced nothing but exceptional service.

Staff is very accomodating and I have been upgraded to the Marvelous suite many times.

Hmmmmm
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:42 pm

Programs: UAL, Marriot Bonvoy
I just spent the last 2 weeks there on separate stays. Both times I was upgraded to a 2 room suite (looked like 2 rooms merged together. curious if there are real suites). Anyhow, both stays were very positive.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 4:33 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
I will be staying here next week for the National ADA (Dental) show. came across this interesting link about management here:

http://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2...g07_MPace.html

Jim
Old Sep 19, 2007, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by CandymanJim
I will be staying here next week for the National ADA (Dental) show. came across this interesting link about management here:

http://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2...g07_MPace.html

Jim
I wish Toni Knorr could be cloned and made GM a lot of other Starwood hotels. I'm hoping W SF will be in good hands with this guy.

p.s: a visit to one of their rooms this weekend showed a new look: think whiter & brighter. Dark wood is now white, closet bright green, splashes of color accents throughout... the built-in unit that holds everything from pencils to wine glasses was cool.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by nroscoe
I wish Toni Knorr could be cloned and made GM a lot of other Starwood hotels. I'm hoping W SF will be in good hands with this guy.

p.s: a visit to one of their rooms this weekend showed a new look: think whiter & brighter. Dark wood is now white, closet bright green, splashes of color accents throughout... the built-in unit that holds everything from pencils to wine glasses was cool.
Yea, they had a face lift in June. The lobby looks different now too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.