Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood in Paris? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood in Paris? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by rooivalk
I want to add that the service at the Westin Vendome is incredibly poor.
My experience, with 2 stays at the hotel, is that the service varies from poor to quite good. It is definitely an area for the management to concentrate on.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by UASPG
My experience, with 2 stays at the hotel, is that the service varies from poor to quite good. It is definitely an area for the management to concentrate on.
You're probably right. I had one stay there and it was bad enough for me not to want to go back.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Westin v. Le Meridien Etoile

Hello everyone,
I've read a majority of this thread and the consensus that I gathered is that Le Meridient Etoile is a bit tired, but the Westin has some service issues.

My husband and I will be going to Paris for the first time in early February for six nights. We will be staying on points (and I'm thinking of using the 35% off point redemption gift for requalifying). We don't require luxury, just a clean place. For example, we saved a ton of points on our last London trip by staying at the Park Lane London, got a great Plat upgrade, and thought the location was great.

It sounds like the Westin is in a more cental location, and might be worth the extra points. What about the Plat breakfast at Le Meridien vs. Westin? Any recent experiences with Plat upgrades at either property? I'm hoping that because we are going in February, we might have a better chance at a good upgrade.

Thanks in advance!
Ashley
Old Dec 11, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ashley1245
Hello everyone,
I've read a majority of this thread and the consensus that I gathered is that Le Meridient Etoile is a bit tired, but the Westin has some service issues.

My husband and I will be going to Paris for the first time in early February for six nights. We will be staying on points (and I'm thinking of using the 35% off point redemption gift for requalifying). We don't require luxury, just a clean place. For example, we saved a ton of points on our last London trip by staying at the Park Lane London, got a great Plat upgrade, and thought the location was great.

It sounds like the Westin is in a more cental location, and might be worth the extra points. What about the Plat breakfast at Le Meridien vs. Westin? Any recent experiences with Plat upgrades at either property? I'm hoping that because we are going in February, we might have a better chance at a good upgrade.

Thanks in advance!
Ashley
My wife and I have stayed at both the Westin and Le Meridien on five-night leisure trips, and we prefer the Le Meridien.

While the Westin is more central geographically, the Le Meridien is less than a block from the Metro -- and if you're going to see Paris, you're going to use the Metro. The Westin is farther away from a Metro station.

The breakfast at the Le Meridien when we stayed in April 2013 was the full breakfast buffet, not a skimpy "continental" breakfast. While breakfast wasn't a Plat amenity the last time I stayed at the Westin (which was not recently), I can't imagine it would be better at the Westin than the full buffet at the Le Meridien.

The Westin will have more atmosphere. The Le Meridien is a business hotel. But as a Plat, I was upgraded to a senior suite (using SNAs) and was very impressed. My upgrade at the Westin was, as I recall, to a junior suite -- basically two small rooms with severely sloping ceilings connected by a short hallway. I couldn't even stand up straight in the shower (I'm 6'4").

On service, the Le Meridien experience was very good. The Westin experience was neutral. Keep in mind this is Paris, so you're not going to get emotionally effusive service, but I'm happy with positive professional.

On balance, we'd return to the Le Meridien. Not the Westin. YMMV.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 3:00 pm

If this is your first time in Paris, I would strongly recommend the Westin.

Location: The Westin is perfectly located right in the centre of Paris - in walking distance to the Louvre, Place Vendome, Champs Elysées etc. The surrounding area is very nice with many upscale shops. The Meridien is located next to a large convention center in a relatively unattractive area. Major sights are still convenient to reach using the metro though.

Style: The Meridien is a very large hotel catering for convention guests and business travelers. Nothing special about it. The Westin is in a historical building, with a very nice interior courtyard - so the overall ambience is much more attractive.

Upgrades/rooms: As a plat, you should get a renovated room at the Meridien. They are furnished in a modern style, not tired at all, and generally work fine. Still, there is nothing special about them, and you might have a very unattractive view (interior courtyard with trash cans). At the Westin, upgrades are a bit hit-and-miss. Other posters have reported suite upgrades, which I never got during my multiple stays there. I once successfully used an SNA, though. The typical category they upgrade into is a "View Room", which is basically a standard room with a great view of Paris' major sights (Tour Eiffel, Place de la Concorde, Louvre) - especially nice at night.

Breakfast: Both hotels give a full breakfast to plats. Both are fine, but quality is better at the Westin, and the breakfast room is much nicer.

So overall, I would say that the extra points for the Westin would be well spent. Also, while I agree that service is a bit uneven, I have never experienced major issues.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
While the Westin is more central geographically, the Le Meridien is less than a block from the Metro -- and if you're going to see Paris, you're going to use the Metro. The Westin is farther away from a Metro station.
The Westin is at 3 min from the métro Tuileries

Otherwise, I would definitely chose Le Méridien on paying stay (130-150 eur VS +300 eur), but when using 5th free + 35% off I think the Westin gives more value for the points (52k pts vs 31k points for 5 nights)
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
The Westin is at 3 min from the métro Tuileries

Otherwise, I would definitely chose Le Méridien on paying stay (130-150 eur VS +300 eur), but when using 5th free + 35% off I think the Westin gives more value for the points (52k pts vs 31k points for 5 nights)
I knew someone would point that out. But still, closer is closer. And I'm someone who normally likes to walk.

Agreed on point-per-Euro value for the Westin.

Also worth pointing out the Le Meridien is easier for airport transfers, via the Air France bus, and there are more reasonably priced restaurants and small markets around Le Meridien than the Westin, as I recall. But neither may be a factor for the original poster.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:01 pm

Might be worth pointing out that there is now a special desk set up next to the reception of Westin (near the sofas), created especially to cater to platinum guests.
He/she who mans this desk has the power to override certain ‘blocked’ rooms and what not and from what I see is the management’s reaction to the complaints around consistent lack of meaningful upgrades at this property.

So if you are a plat, look for this desk to check-in for better chances of upgrades. If you go to the reception, they’ll still let you check-in but they seem to have less ‘power’ to bump you up even if they wanted to.

not sure how long ago this desk was set up, but I don’t remember it being there in summer of 2012…
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks everyone...your feedback was very helpful, and right on point. I am such a cheapskate with my SPG points, but I think we are going to "splurge" and stay at the Westin. The plat re-qualification gift sure did come in handy! I'll report back after our stay. Thanks again!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I'm having the toughest time choosing. I'm taking my wife for a romantic New Year's in Paris. Neither of us has been to Paris, so the Westin seems to be the better location for jumping off. However, I have read negative things about the Westin's service, and excellent things about the W. We plan to use points, and now both the W and the Westin are the same number of points. Additionally, I expect that I will be SPG Gold when we arrive there.

Which would you choose? Which has a better shot for upgrades? Which has a better shot for a good NYE atmosphere?
TIA
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
I wouldn't expect any upgrade as a gold, especially during New Year's.
For the same number of point I would chose the W.
I actually find that the W location is better. Feel more a Paris' atmosphere.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Personally only stayed at W Paris twice.

Would choose it again next time.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dml105
I'm having the toughest time choosing. I'm taking my wife for a romantic New Year's in Paris. Neither of us has been to Paris, so the Westin seems to be the better location for jumping off. However, I have read negative things about the Westin's service, and excellent things about the W. We plan to use points, and now both the W and the Westin are the same number of points. Additionally, I expect that I will be SPG Gold when we arrive there.

Which would you choose? Which has a better shot for upgrades? Which has a better shot for a good NYE atmosphere?
TIA
Have stayed at the Westin a couple times now, and have found it very meh (no upgrades, so-so breakfast, tiny rooms, etc.) W just dropped a category, so to me it seems much more compelling than the Westin now that they're both Cat6.

Doing one W night and one PdG night next month, so will have some good new comparisons.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:05 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Have stayed at the Westin a couple times now, and have found it very meh (no upgrades, so-so breakfast, tiny rooms, etc.) W just dropped a category, so to me it seems much more compelling than the Westin now that they're both Cat6.

Doing one W night and one PdG night next month, so will have some good new comparisons.
I have to share a different experience. I've now stayed at the Westin the last 4 times in Paris (always outside of the summer high season) and have been upgraded every time to at least a junior suite. (I'm SPG Plat, and usually Plat 75+.) Even when they offered a full one bedroom suite upgrade, we opted for the junior suite, as we prefer the space (especially the ones on the top floor with little balconies). Our most recent stay was October 2014.

Even when I got an extra standard room for my mother a few years ago (Dec 2012), they upgraded her to an Eiffel Tower View room, which was quite spacious as well.

I love the Westin's location, but I would say the W is now a great option for those who prefer that location. To me, the Westin is the best SPG location in Paris. I have always stayed at the Westin, the PH, and the Hotel de Vendome there as a result.

Breakfast at the Westin is a weak point, though--I agree there. Though I was able to order off menu and still get it comp'd as an SPG Plat. Service was just OK. I spoke to the manager about it, and there is hope that they may be working to improve there.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by bartman9
Planning a trip to Paris for 5 nights in July 2014 and need some advice. I will be traveling with my wife and two girls (ages 11 & 13) and will be using SPG points for the stay. We have never been to Paris and want to see the major sights/museums.
Same boat for July 2016 except that my kids are 9 & 6. I've been to Paris before but they haven't so the Meridien is out as we need something centrally located. Considering:
  • Prince de Galles, Paris
  • Westin Paris - Vendôme
  • W Paris - Opéra
We have plenty of points but not sure if there is a way to get at least a jr. suite that would have a bit more space. Mrs. B is SPG Gold. Will they allow 2 children in a Junior Suite or do we have to get 2 rooms?

Last edited by Boraxo; Nov 9, 2015 at 12:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.