Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Frankfurt: Which Starwood? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frankfurt: Which Starwood? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Ronlap
How much time do you need to get from the Sheraton Frankfurt Airport to an A or Z gate? Asking so that I know when to leave the hotel to make my flights at the end of my layover (Lufthansa outbound - A, United return - Z).
The Sheraton is connected to the airport by a bridge over the road so you can easily access Terminal 1 A. Depending on how quick you walk it would be a 5-10 minute walk to check-in. The time required to actually get to a gate depends on the check-in and security lines.

I was just at the hotel last week and I wanted to add that there are also food option in the Squire building if you don't find anything you like in the hotel. Just exit the hotel area and go to the right towards the Squire. There is a decent German place called Paulaner (like the beer) and I also noticed an Italian as well as a cheaper Asian alternative upstairs.

Last edited by christianj; Sep 13, 2016 at 9:07 am
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by christianj
The time required to actually get to a gate depends on the check-in and security lines.
Understood. Just wondering how long people are waiting - you have to clear German customs to fly out of Europe, right?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 12:01 pm

Understood. Just wondering how long people are waiting - you have to clear German customs to fly out of Europe, right?
If you are flying back to the US....yes! So check-in, security and customs (passport check) before you get to the gate.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by christianj
If you are flying back to the US....yes! So check-in, security and customs (passport check) before you get to the gate.
And how long does this normally take?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
And how long does this normally take?
Between 1 minute and an hour. Seriously. If you hit a peak period and the guards decide not to staff all the desks, you can get stuck behind some HUGE lines. Unlike French customs, the Germans like to really scrutinize the passports and visas. But normally the lines are around 15 minutes or so.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
If you carry USA or HKG passport, there's EasyPASS-RTP enrollment which will let you use the automated gates that EU nationals use.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 12:00 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Sheraton Congress WiFi

Upgraded to business suite as a Plat on a one night stay.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by FD1971
The Sheraton at FRA is very very close to:

http://www.thesquaire.com/

The Congress is right in the middle of a major office building suburb of FRA, actually more or less directly opposite of Nestle HQ Germany. 2 stops with a regional train and 800 m by foot or two stops with the tram.

The Westin is 50 metres or a closed back entrance away from the high street in Frankfurt, the Zeil. Most of the stores there are the highest grossing ones of their brand in Germany, so you are in the middle of a shopping heaven.

The LM is 200 metres away from a side entrance of the railway station...and two-three tram or trains stops away from the shopping mile mentioned above

If you do not have status with SPG, I do not recommend the LM, their smallest rooms are ~ 10 sqm.

Westin is the best SPG property in town, no doubt about that, Sheraton at FRA is a good second choice, the other three properties are nothing to write home about and have quite some potential for a mediocre stay.

Even on a good day with a suite upgrade, you will not tell your grand kids about a stay at the Congress, Sheraton Offenbach or LM Parkhotel
Checking in re the best Frankfurt option.

Westin, LM or one of the design hotels: Gerbermuehle, Roomers or the Pure.

Any ideas? A 3 night stay and like to be able to walk to restaurants. I don't care about shopping.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
The Westin and the LM both offer enough alternatives in their vicinities restaurant-wise, so do the Roomers and the Pure, but no Gerbermuehle.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry

Any ideas? A 3 night stay and like to be able to walk to restaurants. I don't care about shopping.
The Westin Frankfurt is not only a nice hotel, it is located right in the center of downtown, within easy walking distance of everything.

They also have a nice Club Lounge.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry

In a city like Frankfurt as long as you are centrally located and not out by the airport or the messe you should be able to find decent restaurants within walking distance. Of the hotels you mention they definitely should all be walkable. LeM and Roomers are in the same general area near the train station. The area near those two can be perceived as shaddy (as are most areas near train stations) by some especially if you are uptight. The area is safe yet if it bothers you to walk by some adult bookstores you might want to stay at the Westin which is at the end of the tourist pedestrian zone. I personally like the LeM due to its pricing and general feel but to each his/her own. During the summers, the LeM has a nice outside Beer garden set up in front of the hotel which is a nice place to sit on warm days and relax. I would read the master threads on all the properties.

Last edited by christianj; Apr 25, 2017 at 1:26 pm
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
Renovation of Sheraton Offenbach is complete

According to this (German-speaking) article a full renovation of the Sheraton Offenbach for an amount of 3.2 million Euro has just been completed. Pictures are looking good and trip reviews are welcome.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Looking for the best place to spend a Saturday evening hanging out (definitely not the airport or an office park).

Both the Westin downtown and LM have good rates, but are there any fun streets within walking distance that will be open on the weekend? Or do I have to U-bahn to another neighborhood? Also need a restaurant that serves good German food...
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Looking for the best place to spend a Saturday evening hanging out (definitely not the airport or an office park).

Both the Westin downtown and LM have good rates, but are there any fun streets within walking distance that will be open on the weekend? Or do I have to U-bahn to another neighborhood? Also need a restaurant that serves good German food...
No, take the Strassenbahn, otherwise known as the 'tram'
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:05 am

Frankfurt summer evening guidance

Some options:
  • Westin
    • Foor good German food go "Zu den 12 Aposteln" in Elefantengasse, which is a 3 minute walk away.
    • For fun time during Summer, just walk down South to Main river, where you can just sit down and relax or have an apple cider at "Bootshaus Dreyer" right next to the "Eiserner Steg" pedestrian bridge. Also the "Long Island Summer Lounge" on top of the Trade exchange parking lot is a good place to hang out. For further partying later I recommend the Gibson club right on the Zeil
  • Le Meridien
    • You can try everything mentioned above for the Westin as it is only a 25 minute walk from one hotel to the other and some options like the Long Island Summer Lounge, the Gibson or the Main river are basically in between.
    • But you could also go to "Klosterhof" at Weißfrauengasse for German food (12 minute walk or two stops with the tram plus 4 minute walk). Then you could head back and have cocktails at "Bar Plank", "Kinley Bar" or "Maxie Eisen" and then head over to "Orange Peel" for partying.

I recommend googling the locations, especially the party locations to make sure that they fit your style.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.