Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Frankfurt: Which Starwood? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frankfurt: Which Starwood? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2009, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Originally Posted by CheapSk8
Any thoughts about the best Frankfurt Starwood for attending the Christmas market? We stayed at the Westin last year, which was fine, but are wondering if another hotel might be a better choice.
The Westin is still the closest. Le Méridien is in walking distance. For the other properties you have to take the subway.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
We'll be going through Frankfurt in March and will be overnighting in both directions. Which of the five hotels would be good for an overnight? We're not necessarily looking to be close to the airport, but more in an interesting area especially on the outbound.

On Sunday 21 March, we'll be arriving at 09:45 in the morning and departing (on LH F) the following morning at 10:05, so we basically have a full day.

On Saturday 27 March, we'll be arriving (on LH F) at 20:00 and departing the following afternoon at 14:00, so it's a shorter stay.

So which Frankfurt hotels would you recommend for these two stays? The Sheraton Congress and Sheraton Offenbach currently have by far the best rates for the two nights respectively, but a nice experience can be worth the extra.

(I mention the LH F on the descriptions because spending time in the First Class Terminal is on the list of things we're looking forward to.)
Old Oct 10, 2009, 9:36 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
We'll be going through Frankfurt in March and will be overnighting in both directions. Which of the five hotels would be good for an overnight? We're not necessarily looking to be close to the airport, but more in an interesting area especially on the outbound.

On Sunday 21 March, we'll be arriving at 09:45 in the morning and departing (on LH F) the following morning at 10:05, so we basically have a full day.

On Saturday 27 March, we'll be arriving (on LH F) at 20:00 and departing the following afternoon at 14:00, so it's a shorter stay.

So which Frankfurt hotels would you recommend for these two stays? The Sheraton Congress and Sheraton Offenbach currently have by far the best rates for the two nights respectively, but a nice experience can be worth the extra.

(I mention the LH F on the descriptions because spending time in the First Class Terminal is on the list of things we're looking forward to.)
I visit Frankfurt every month, so have tried them all. For the centre of Frankfurt, right on the Ziel shopping strip, I recommend the Grand. Personally don't rate the Meridien. All the others require travel. Offenbach is a ways from the Airport and south of the centre. Congress is right in the EXhibition area and again needs travel to get to the centre. The Airport & Towers is attached to the T1 building by a covered bridge and you are right above the various rail stations, so easy (and cheap) to get in and out of the Centre.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 12:14 am
Original Poster

What can you do on 22 March with a 10:05 departure? IMO, not really anything. Also note that shops are closed on Sunday 21 March (museums/sights are open).
- there are direct train connections between Frankfurt Airport and Offenbach Büsingpalais (exit "Marktplatz") with a travelling time of 40min. You need around 30min from the Büsingpalais to Frankfurt city centre. The hotel is very close to the S-Bahn station. If you don't mind loosing some travel time, you can consider going there. Platinum recognition improved a lot during the last years - the hotel has only ordinary rooms though.
-travelling time to the Sheraton Congress is shorter. You need to take S-Bahn and tram. The Sheraton is located in an industrial area (not even close to the fair as the name may suggest). Therefore the area is deserted (though safe) during weekends. Public restaurants in the area are normally closed during weekends. Platinum recognition improved a lot during the last years - the hotel has only ordinary rooms though.
- the Le Méridien is located close to the main station with a few stops to the airport only. Many sights are in walking distance (area in and around main station is ugly) or you can take public transport. Very good platinum recognition.
- the Westin Grand is in the city centre. The hotel has been renovated. Many sights and restaurants are in walking distance or you can take public transport. Platinum recognition is still hit and miss.
- the Airport hotel is convenient for early or late arrivals/departures. Travelling time to city centre is 15-20min only. Good Platinum recognition.

IMO, you can't do so much on Sunday 28 March as shops are closed and you have a departure at 14:00 (and you do want to stay in the FCT for a special experience at the airport). In this case I'd go for the cheapest hotel price.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 4:52 am
Original Poster

A summary of the properties in Frankfurt including my subjective ranking:

Platinum recognition: 1) Le Méridien 2) Sheraton Frankfurt Hotel & Tower (Airport) 3) Sheraton Congress, Sheraton Offenbach 4) Westin Grand
Lounge: 1) Sheraton Frankfurt Hotel & Tower (Airport) - The other hotels don't have a lounge
Spa: 1) Westin Grand 2) Sheraton Frankfurt Hotel & Tower (Airport) 3) Le Méridien, Sheraton Congress 4) Sheraton Offenbach
Access to main station and city center: 1.) Westin Grand (in city center), Le Méridien (next to main station) 2) Sheraton Congress, Sheraton Frankfurt Hotel & Tower (Airport) 3) Sheraton Offenbach
Access to restaurants offering local food in Sachsenhausen (e.g. Apfelwein Wagner http://www.apfelwein-wagner.com/ ): 1.) Westin Grand, Le Méridien (it's possible to walk from both hotels, otherwise public transport and/or taxi) 2) Sheraton Congress, Sheraton Frankfurt Hotel & Tower (Airport) 3) Sheraton Offenbach
Luxury: 1) Westin Grand 2) Le Méridien 3) Sheraton Frankfurt Hotel & Tower (Airport) 4) Sheraton Congress, Sheraton Offenbach

Le Méridien Parkhotel Frankfurt
Pictures from my stay
+ Excellent Platinum recognition.
+ Good location with access to public transport.
- No lounge.

The Westin Grand Frankfurt
Pictures from my stay
+ Nice Spa.
+ Good location in the city center with access to public transport.
- No lounge.

Sheraton Frankfurt Hotel & Towers, Conference Center (Airport)
Pictures from my stay
+ Excellent lounge.
+ Good Platinum recognition.
+ Small Spa, fitness center.

Sheraton Congress Hotel Frankfurt
Pictures from my stay
+ Free WLAN in the lobby.
+ Pool.
+ Niederrad S-Bahn station is not far away.
- No lounge.
- Hotel rooms are elementary.
- Hotel is located in an industrial area which is deserted during weekends.

Sheraton Offenbach Hotel
Pictures from my stay
+ Easy access to public transport.
+ S-Bahn connects directly to main station and Frankfurt airport.
+ Small dry and wet sauna, fitness center.
- No lounge.
- Hotel rooms are elementary.

Last edited by LH738; Oct 13, 2009 at 5:17 am
Old Nov 4, 2009, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by LH738
A summary of the properties in Frankfurt including my subjective ranking:
Excellent summary with pics! Thank you!!

My first time overnighting in FRA. Was trying to decide between staying in Frankfurt or Mainz. I'll be arriving in FRA at 10am and plan to spend a day either in Frankfurt "old town"/zeil shopping. Have a 7:35am departure the next morning (and I'm a "stay in bed till the last minute" kinda gal). Would staying at the Sheraton towers save me time in the morning walking to FRA? IF not, I'd prefer to stay at the Westin (for the location) but not sure how long it would take to get to FRA on public transport? Any insights much appreciated!
Old Nov 5, 2009, 1:18 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by lainys

My first time overnighting in FRA. Was trying to decide between staying in Frankfurt or Mainz. I'll be arriving in FRA at 10am and plan to spend a day either in Frankfurt "old town"/zeil shopping. Have a 7:35am departure the next morning (and I'm a "stay in bed till the last minute" kinda gal). Would staying at the Sheraton towers save me time in the morning walking to FRA? IF not, I'd prefer to stay at the Westin (for the location) but not sure how long it would take to get to FRA on public transport? Any insights much appreciated!
Depends on where you are flying to at 07:35! There is double security on flights to USA and you can need 2 hours to check in and get through both sets of security. The Airport Towers is geared to being a 24 hour airport operation and having checked out you just walk across the bridge (all one level) to T1. If your flight leaves from T2 allow an extra 15 mins to catch the Skytrain between T1 and T2 (runs every 2 mins).
Old Nov 5, 2009, 11:09 am

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by OPebble
Depends on where you are flying to at 07:35! There is double security on flights to USA and you can need 2 hours to check in and get through both sets of security. The Airport Towers is geared to being a 24 hour airport operation and having checked out you just walk across the bridge (all one level) to T1. If your flight leaves from T2 allow an extra 15 mins to catch the Skytrain between T1 and T2 (runs every 2 mins).
Not to the US. The 7:35am departure is FRA-BCN (LH4450). I just realized my other post was incomplete. My 3rd choice of places to overnight was Hilton Mainz City. I've read that it's near the "old" area and that Mainz is a short train ride (no changes) to FRA.

I will be arriving in FRA (from ORD) the day before at the ungodly hour of 5:45am so will be spending 26 hrs in Frankfurt. We have a girls weekend planned in BCN (our first time there). FRA was a convenient place for all of us to fly into (from different continents), meet and catchup, before heading to BCN together.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lainys

Use www.rmv.de to check train connections from Frankfurt and from Mainz to FRA airport.
- around 25min from the Westin
- around 40min from Mainz
Old Nov 6, 2009, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also remember that if you are on a paid ticket in F you get a complimentary room each time at the Steinberger near the airport.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Also remember that if you are on a paid ticket in F you get a complimentary room each time at the Steinberger near the airport.
Does that work for award tickets?
Old Dec 1, 2009, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does that work for award tickets?
No- hence the paid ticket comment
Old Aug 26, 2010, 6:45 am

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Question Help? Relo...

Relocating from the US to Frankfurt with wife and 2 babies, been given a choice about temporary housing -- do any of these SPG properties have suites with kitchenettes?

Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by JBauer
Relocating from the US to Frankfurt with wife and 2 babies, been given a choice about temporary housing -- do any of these SPG properties have suites with kitchenettes?

Thanks!
The Sheraton Congress and Le Meridien don't have suites and no kitchenettes for sure. The Airport Sheraton is definitely no place you want to stay with your wife an 2 babies for a longer period. It is an Airport Hotel between the airport and autobahn. The Westin has suites but I think no kitchenettes.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 4:49 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by caspritz78
The Sheraton Congress and Le Meridien don't have suites and no kitchenettes for sure. The Airport Sheraton is definitely no place you want to stay with your wife an 2 babies for a longer period. It is an Airport Hotel between the airport and autobahn. The Westin has suites but I think no kitchenettes.
No suites at the Sheraton Congress?? They have listed business suites, superior suites and executive suites on their webpage.

I am considering staying here sometime in March. I read from the room descriptions that their executive rooms and suites have complimentary minibars. Any word on this? Is it complimentary also on upgraded rooms (per SPG Platinum upgrade)? Is it restocked every day?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.