Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel National, Luxury Collection, Moscow [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel National, Luxury Collection, Moscow [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:04 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by jejb
The Welcome gift buffet breakfast has been downgraded to the "Business Breakfast" in the Alexandrovsky Bar. Apparently the change is recent and wasn't made clear on arrival, so I had the usual buffet for the first day until they told me.

According to the manager "Starwood required them to do this". However, it looks like part of unrelated cost cutting measures since a lot of the expensive features of the usual Buffet Breakfast are missing (no more ikura caviar, no more champagne and no more quails eggs).
This is true now and is really bad. The new breakfast offered to Plats is a danish or croissant with yogurt. That is ridiculous. I don't eat yogurt and do not consider a croissant breakfast. Certainly not a healthy one!

The buffet breakfast that is not offered it a nice spread with made to order eggs. It is absolutely not Starwood who mandated this as Platinums get full buffet breakfast in many countries, including Russia in St Petersburg and a few blocks away from the National at the St Regis. Just another sad data point re this hotel. I am strongly considering checking out early and heading back to the St Regis.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:35 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
This is true now and is really bad. The new breakfast offered to Plats is a danish or croissant with yogurt. That is ridiculous. I don't eat yogurt and do not consider a croissant breakfast. Certainly not a healthy one!
Wow, that's too bad to hear - it would have been the main factor to bring me back to Hotel National again. Although to be fair I was shocked that they had previously offered the full buffet to Plats, based on its' daily price - and took full advantage of it over a two week stay. I agree that it's probably not Starwood that mandated anything.

As Coathanger mentioned, I originally chose the hotel for the views and proximity to the metro and historic landmarks. It may be more of a museum in appearance in some areas, but I enjoyed the historic aspect. Just not the wood floors above me at 2am.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Absolute
Wow, that's too bad to hear - it would have been the main factor to bring me back to Hotel National again. Although to be fair I was shocked that they had previously offered the full buffet to Plats, based on its' daily price - and took full advantage of it over a two week stay. I agree that it's probably not Starwood that mandated anything.

As Coathanger mentioned, I originally chose the hotel for the views and proximity to the metro and historic landmarks. It may be more of a museum in appearance in some areas, but I enjoyed the historic aspect. Just not the wood floors above me at 2am.
The St Regis is a few blocks away. Brand new hotel also near the Kremlin and even closer to the Metro (its under the St Regis). Full buffet breakfast on offer there. And super large suites as Platinum Upgrades (I got the Aston Suite) with in room welcome Platinum amenity gift (I for a fruit plate). I got bupkus at the National. Also lovely shower at the St Regis and a joke of one at the National (forced to climb into a very high tub with a taut cord that doesn't enable the water spray to be adjusted).

Only difference is lacking views from St Regis which didn't matter for me since National gave me a courtyard view. Personally don't see what the benefit is to staying at the National over St Regis.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:38 am

A few questions from a first time tourist to Moscow. Does The National supply mini-fridges or mini-bars and water kettles? All the bedding is listed as King but on the phone they told me the kings can be split into two twins. Does anyone know from experience if this is true? Thinking of a Studio with breakfast which is currently showing $205 US on the Primetime rate. Appreciate any and all feedback.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Tizzette
A few questions from a first time tourist to Moscow. Does The National supply mini-fridges or mini-bars and water kettles? All the bedding is listed as King but on the phone they told me the kings can be split into two twins. Does anyone know from experience if this is true? Thinking of a Studio with breakfast which is currently showing $205 US on the Primetime rate. Appreciate any and all feedback.
There was no mini-fridge in my hotel room. This is an old hotel. Try the St Regis if nearby if you need a mini-fridge. Or if you want a nicer and newer hard product.

As to beds... I believe I had a true king, but that doesn't mean they don't have twins or other rooms they can split up.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
60USD / nt for a base room at the Sheraton Palace on Hot Escapes today.

Last edited by remymartin; Nov 25, 2015 at 10:12 am
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by remymartin
60USD / nt for a base room on Hot Escapes today.
60$/night at Sheraton palace, not hotel national. (It does not participate in hot escapes rate promotion this week.)
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Indeed, sorry for the confusion. Post updated.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:30 pm

There was no mini-fridge in my hotel room. This is an old hotel. Try the St Regis if nearby if you need a mini-fridge. Or if you want a nicer and newer hard product.

As to beds... I believe I had a true king, but that doesn't mean they don't have twins or other rooms they can split up.
The hotel emailed me that all rooms have mini bar fridges which you can empty out. If you want a twin room, they do have that but you have to contact the hotel directly because online booking lists kings as the only available bedding type. It is still not clear to me whether they will provide a water kettle on request, or just send up a free room service setup of hot water and tea bags.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:42 pm

disappointing

Absolutely nothing special about the hotel other than location and view (which you will not get as an upgrade). I arrived and there was a trainee struggling to keep up with the work, while the experienced staff was busy doing other things. They almost didn't recognize my plat status. Basically, book this hotel only if you want the location and don't mind paying for upgrade, buffet breakfast etc.. since the status is meaningless, you can stay in any of the hundred hotels in Moscow.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:49 am

Lightbulb

My group had three Classic rooms (standard) and nobody was upgraded to a street view. All were good size, furnishings in good condition, beds wonderful especially the pillows. Mine was largest and included a sitting area with sofa and chair which were more comfortable than they look in pictures..might have been their junior suite. The black and white bathrooms are old fashionedly charming and have plenty of surfaces to put things on, if not the more modern vanity counter, and for those who like tub baths, these are deep. A mini bar fridge is supplied and there's no problem unloading it for your own stuff, and you can request a free coffee/tea set up with water kettle. The windows do open and this was important in late September as the AC had been turned off for the season and it would have been stuffy otherwise. We had a 4th night free deal including the breakfast buffet which averaged out to $175 per night at about 63 rubles to dollars, which is a great value for the comfort and location. The breakfast is not amazing, but very enjoyable with the Kremlin view. A big selection, but I don't recall blinis with red caviar, for instance. More heavy on little cakes and sweets. The staff was uniformly kind and helpful. Room service food was good late at night, but it was hard to get through on the phone to order. There's really no buzz or vibe in the bar, just a quiet place to have a glass of wine. A quiet, well run hotel with special character where you can easily take the Metro underpass to the Kremlin, GUM, State History Museum with a great gift shop, modern underground mall with a food court. I liked the place. Its atmosphere adds to the experience of Russia more than a more modern hotel would. As an aside, Uber was cheap and quick, only $3 or $4 per ride, and the Moscow traffic was not as slow as I expected. Considering how convenient Uber turned out to be, staying right next to the Kremlin is not as great an advantage I thought it would be. I also like hotels in quieter, more neighborhoody locations and although the Marco Polo in no way equals the National in quality, the location in Patriarchy Ponds with all its many cafes, local shops, and stylish dog walkers has a different kind of appeal.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
I'm staying for my first time here 20-21 DEC. SNA appears to have cleared, so I'm in some kind of suite. Based on previous postings I shouldn't expect much? In retrospect I wish I'd researched more and stayed at the St. Regis, but it's only one night.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 4:07 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by rdlmitedu
I'm staying for my first time here 20-21 DEC. SNA appears to have cleared, so I'm in some kind of suite. Based on previous postings I shouldn't expect much? In retrospect I wish I'd researched more and stayed at the St. Regis, but it's only one night.
The view of Red Square was most impressive. The room... not so much.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by uxb
The view of Red Square was most impressive. The room... not so much.
Somewhat surprised I'm the first person since 2016 to comment on this thread for such a historic property. However, it must be said this comment remains largely accurate.

Used a SNA for 2 nights here, secured a Kremlin view suite on the 5th floor with a direct view to Lenin's Mausoleum and St Basil's behind. I could not have been happier with the view.

The suite itself was spacious with a living room with sofa, chairs, table and a piano(!). The bathroom was small with a single sink and combined bathtub/shower.

The furnishings and entire interior can be described as worn. Not the worst I've seen, but needing a refurb. Examples included electricity sockets starting to detach from the wall. I didn't notice it during the stay, but looking at the above photo the rug was also in very sorry state! This did not detract from our stay whatsoever, but keep in mind when you're considering this property if this is a deal breaker. I feel that this is priced into the rates given how much lower they are compared to the St Regis or Ritz Carlton.

The breakfast experience was mixed. With the buffet (amenity if you are Platinum or higher), you have some a la carte options included, such as eggs benedict with ham or bacon. This is always a big plus, and the quality of these was pretty good. However, the buffet spread itself was weak with limited continental and hot options. Surprisingly, the far cheaper and less prominent St Petersburg Renaissance has a far superior buffet spread.

All is not lost for dining. Within the same building is one of the top cafes in Moscow, Dr Zhivago's. I cannot recommend this highly enough, the food was superb. If you need to eat (and pay) whilst staying at the National go there, just be prepared to deal with extremely variable service.

Overall, if I was planning on going back to Moscow on the same budget, I would have no hesitation going back.

Last edited by MrM2016; Jul 30, 2019 at 12:38 pm
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:29 am

I had a suite similar to MrM2016’s ( although I don’t recall a piano: I would have enjoyed that, neighbours not so much) . Used SNAs , my stay was a couple of years ago. I really liked it and didn’t mind the slightly tatterdemalion look of it. Fantastic location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.