Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel National, Luxury Collection, Moscow [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel National, Luxury Collection, Moscow [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2009, 3:21 pm

Programs: AC*E; pick a number between 25 and 50K
Room designation

I will be at this hotel in June attending a conference. I've received a confirmation from my hosts in a "Classic King" room. I can't figure out which room type this is, despite visiting the Starwood site, the LHW site and the hotel homepage. Any insights?

Thanks
MMD
Old May 9, 2009, 5:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT TIT
I stayed at this hotel for 3 days during the first weekend of May and had a wonderful stay. It is a classic hotel with extensive history, maintained in excellent condition but lacks the overstated luxury look and feel of its more modern neighbors like the Ritz and Park Hyatt. The pictures on the hotel websites are all of their suites. The classic kings are their standard rooms with courtyard view that are more modest. You may check out this website for more description and pictures, and sometimes better rate.

http://www.moscow-hotels.net/nationa...oms/index.aspx

I booked and got a Business Suite. They do comply with SPG program and would try to upgrade platinum to this category if available. The first suite I got was located in the new "wing" of the hotel. They had apparently expanded the property and built an extension in the back of the hotel next to the Ritz Carlton. Rooms in the new wing are more modern and spacious with newer furnishing, but has lower ceiling and more generic looks. I kindly requested to be moved to the older part of the hotel and got a business suite in the front portion of the hotel with unobstructed view of the Kremlin and the St. Basil Cathedral beyond. This is the section of the hotel you want to be in. The rooms are older for sure but kept up very nicely and clean. And the view, simply phenomenal. Much better than what Ritz Carlton can offer. Possibly the best in the city for now, until the huge Four Seasons opens its door later this year diagonally across the street.

The problem about the room temperature reported by a previous poster remains unchanged, unfortunately. Rooms do get warm even with the AC on its highest setting, and the windows cannot be opened due to security reasons. They still do not provide fans for their guests. Other than that, I cannot find fault with this hotel and had a very enjoyable stay. The breakfast is inclusive to all guests and free wireless internet had just been introduced to all the rooms.

Let me know if you have other questions about this hotel and Moscow!
Old May 14, 2009, 9:43 am

Programs: Starwood, AA
i'm going to moscow soon and would like to stay at this hotel. we will be 2 people. when i check rates for 1 person, the best rate (with my SET rate) is 5200 Rub (approx $160). If I put 2 people (same dates), it goes up to 7900 Rub ($245). How strict are they on 1 vs 2 people on reservation for a Platinum member? I know it is common in Europe to charge different rates for 1 vs 2 people, but $85 difference is a little crazy. We are using same bedding, no additional services (except breakfast, because all rates include b-fast and we would be happy to pay additional for the 2nd breakfast. I'm sure it's not $85). Does anyone have experience with this in this hotel?
I know the right thing to do is make reservation for 2, but i have a hard time understanding such a big $$ difference.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 1:25 am

Programs: BAEC, Hilton, Intercontinental
I see this hotel rebranded to Luxury Collection and apparently will close down for renovation. Any news about this?
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:26 pm

Programs: AmEx Centurion, SPG Platinum; LH Senator; Sixt Platinum; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Michael1950
I see this hotel rebranded to Luxury Collection and apparently will close down for renovation. Any news about this?
That would be great to see. Hotel has an amazing history, but current management team needs a shake-up for sure.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 8:50 am
DJZ

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, former UA 1K, SPG AMEX addict
any recent experiences?

staying here in two weeks, will report back, would love to hear any stories post-luxury collection rebrand
Old Mar 1, 2010, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by DJZ
staying here in two weeks, will report back, would love to hear any stories post-luxury collection rebrand
In my personal opinion try to get 378. It is relatively small room, but has a fantastic view of Kremlin and from what I was told last time is one of best SPG Plat upgrade rooms available.

zhk
Old Mar 7, 2010, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Starwood Gold
Smokey Suites?

I am staying at the National Hotel in early May and have two options for a room:

1.) A non-smoking, deluxe room with an inner-courtyard or street view

or

2.) A business suite, which is not non-smoking

I understand that the business suite I will probably receive is in the back of the hotel (newer wing), but my bigger concern is the smoke smell. I haven't seen it reported anywhere as being fierce, but maybe nobody's asked about it (n)yet?

Any input would be helpful.

Thank You,
Matt
Old Mar 8, 2010, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by easyfour
I understand that the business suite I will probably receive is in the back of the hotel (newer wing), but my bigger concern is the smoke smell. I haven't seen it reported anywhere as being fierce, but maybe nobody's asked about it (n)yet?

Any input would be helpful.

Thank You,
Matt
I can provide you with my personal opinion only. Russian guests of this hotel book just a room and require smoking rooms upon check-in. They don't look into smoking/non-smoking options upon booking. Hence it is my personal experience, that it is relatively safe to book smoking room and put into comments "Please allocate non-smoking alternative upon availability". This note secured me a non-smoking room in advance and I was thanked for that note upon check-in. However, as you are aware YMMV.

zhk
Old Mar 8, 2010, 7:21 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I always try to reserve non-smoking in Russia. The Smoking rooms usually seem to have very heavy smoke residue. I've been unable to do that a couple of times and did get non-smoking on arrival. If it bothers you enough to mention it; try to emphasize the point; most Russians seem to be inured to smoke.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Starwood Gold
Thank you. That's great advice!
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:33 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
I am considering booking a quick 2-night stay at this hotel in late-May, so does anyone have an updated trip report for this property? It took a while for me to realize that it is now called The National, Moscow -- but I did not know if any of the rave reviews have changed.

Also, is there a metro station near this property? I am going to try the express train in from DME. Merci!
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:48 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Yes, there is a metro/subway under the hotel. The entrance is just outside the hotel entrance - on the corner of the building.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:13 am

Updates?

As was previously noted, this hotel has changed names (perhaps update title of thread?) and is now called the Hotel National.

I am contemplating booking an award stay for mid-August. Has anyone stayed recently at this property? Any idea what type of treatment (if any) a Gold would receive? I don't have a ton of points, and being a cat 5, this would eat into quite a few, so I am really just trying to ascertain whether it's worthwhile.

Lastly, I noticed that only King beds show up as booking options. Is that the only type of room they have?

Many thanks.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 8:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Hotel National, Moscow, Russia

Tried using the search function but could find no info on this hotel in this forum.

Thinking of staying here in August 2011.

Location looks excellent, right next to Red Square (views from some windows over to the Kremlin)....

Has anyone been here and can comment on the quality of rooms, service and also safety/security ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.