Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel National, Luxury Collection, Moscow [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel National, Luxury Collection, Moscow [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:19 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It can be amusing in Moscow to observe the different styles of hookers in different hotels. The ones at Hotel National looked almost like they could turn into trophy wives if they would just lengthen their skirts. In other hotels, one sees more exotic dress, fetishes, or sometimes the down-and-out ones.
I'd look out for it next time, but I have no plans on returning to Russia ever again (or until they liberalise their ridiculous entry procedures).
Old Sep 26, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K [ex-GS],1+MM, SPG PLAT
Originally Posted by uxb
(or until they liberalise their ridiculous entry procedures).
Not only is it a piece of cake compared to 20-30 years ago .... I've had no problems at all getting visa.

It sounds like you are grumpy .... grumpy hotel, grumpy entry requirements, grumpy about Russia?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by uxb
I'd look out for it next time, but I have no plans on returning to Russia ever again (or until they liberalise their ridiculous entry procedures).
The ball is in your court. A couple years ago VP Biden was in Moscow, then PM Putin who was his host offered him visa free regime. Biden was shocked. Russia always acts on retroactive basis. Anticipating your reaction -- don't worry, Russian illegals are all in the US already and still tiny %% of overall illegal crowd -- cannot name any countries out of political correctness.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
I was alluding to the classy hookers in the hotel bar area. I remember a lot of young blond Russian women in business suits with extremely short skirts that didn't cover the pantyline when seated.
For an outsider in Russia (and in many other places) it's not always what it seems. Dress code is MUCH more frevolent than in Europe and especially North America. Many women (even married) wear very revealing outfits (sometimes out of context even fo Russian men). Doesn't always mean they are pros or even easy going. Many of those in high end hotels may be classified as gold diggers rather than hookers. They are looking for longer term relationship with foreigners who can afford to spend $5K -$10 a month on a kept woman -- trips, 3 series BMW, downtown apartment $2K-$3K a month, etc. Mind, for locals, a not six digit after tax income in Moscow is not to brag about. Expats will have to make well over $250K-$300K to be in the game. BTW, elite "classy" pro is Moscow is $500-$1500 a night and higher. Good luck next time.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 3:58 am
uxb

Originally Posted by Medved
The ball is in your court. A couple years ago VP Biden was in Moscow, then PM Putin who was his host offered him visa free regime. Biden was shocked. Russia always acts on retroactive basis. Anticipating your reaction -- don't worry, Russian illegals are all in the US already and still tiny %% of overall illegal crowd -- cannot name any countries out of political correctness.
Actually, the GM of this property offered to cut through the red tape for my next visit, but I saw a good chunk on the country on this past trip. Taking the train cross-country to Mongolia was one of those "once-in-a-lifetime" moments. On to the next adventure (prolly India).
Old Sep 28, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), Hyatt Discoverist(?), Marriott/SPG Gold
Haven't seen the hookers this week - but maybe I haven't been looking carefully. Usually I walk as fast as I can through the thick smoke of the lounge (cough cough).

I agree with the entry visa requirement - not a problem here.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 7:40 pm

We are planning to vacation in Helsinki, St. Petersburg, and Moscow in Sept 2013, arriving by train in St. Petersburg for 5 nights at a fabulous property, the W. Then on to Moscow for 5 nights where we read the reviews to imply that it is a toss-up between the National and the Sheraton in September when it is cool for a Platinum.
Do any of you believe that we should absolutely favor one SPG property over the other in Moscow in September, and if so, which one?

We are secure in Helsinki with the Kamp and in St. Petersburg with the W, both outstanding properties which we have visited previously.

For those of you that have found the Visa requirements too restrictive, we would recommend the fast train from Helsinki to St. Petersburg, as one can cross the border having customs agents come to your seat and clear you while you have vodka and caviar on your train tray table.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), Hyatt Discoverist(?), Marriott/SPG Gold
Depends on the experience you want (need?). Sheraton is definitely more American and business-like while the Hotel National is in a great location - practically across the road from Red Square.

If you're a W kind of person, the Sheraton is probably closer to what you want. However, the Hotel National's location is hard to beat. And I suppose if you want to hang out somewhere less worn while at the HN, the Ritz-Carlton is practically next door.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bigboy
Depends on the experience you want (need?). Sheraton is definitely more American and business-like while the Hotel National is in a great location - practically across the road from Red Square.

If you're a W kind of person, the Sheraton is probably closer to what you want. However, the Hotel National's location is hard to beat. And I suppose if you want to hang out somewhere less worn while at the HN, the Ritz-Carlton is practically next door.
The Hyatt is also nearby and it's stunning as a historic building with a modern tower added. The bar on top is fun.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:49 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
For those of you that have found the Visa requirements too restrictive, we would recommend the fast train from Helsinki to St. Petersburg, as one can cross the border having customs agents come to your seat and clear you while you have vodka and caviar on your train tray table.
^ nice tip!
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by remymartin
^ nice tip!
But is this just about the procedure on the day of travel for entering the country or can a USA citizen avoid having to apply for a visa in advance to enter Russia? Can you then go elsewhere in the country, for example to Moscow, still with no visa? Can you leave by air from SVO? Do hotels hassle you about having no visa to record with the local police?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 4:19 pm

But is this just about the procedure on the day of travel for entering the country or can a USA citizen avoid having to apply for a visa in advance to enter Russia? Can you then go elsewhere in the country, for example to Moscow, still with no visa? Can you leave by air from SVO? Do hotels hassle you about having no visa to record with the local police?
Any foreigner can use Allegro train, a ferry or cruise ship to enter St Pete only visa free for 72 hours. Regular visa for anything else. But new visa agreement was ratified between US and Russia this summer, so it should be possible to get 3 year multiple entry now... And apparently easier too..
Old Oct 1, 2012, 8:12 pm
uxb

Any foreigner can use Allegro train, a ferry or cruise ship to enter St Pete only visa free for 72 hours. Regular visa for anything else. But new visa agreement was ratified between US and Russia this summer, so it should be possible to get 3 year multiple entry now... And apparently easier too..
Really??!!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver)
Any foreigner can use Allegro train ... to enter St Pete only visa free for 72 hours.
False. Visa exemption is only in effect for ferries and sea cruises. Apart from St. Petersburg, also true for Anadyr, Sochi, Novorossiysk, Vladivostok, Korsakov, Kaliningrad, and Vyborg.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by homelyboy
False. Visa exemption is only in effect for ferries and sea cruises. Apart from St. Petersburg, also true for Anadyr, Sochi, Novorossiysk, Vladivostok, Korsakov, Kaliningrad, and Vyborg.
As a Helsinki local I am not exempt from Visa for Allegro, only the cruise. But I cannot speak for American passport holders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.