Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Hua Hin Resort & Spa - Amphur Cha-Am, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 13, 2023, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Hua Hin Resort & Spa - Amphur Cha-Am, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Do Plat Premier get lounge access now? Doesn't matter to me as I'd never stay there due to the weddings.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: Marriott rewards
No more Platinum happy hours for Sheraton Pranburi Villas. Same excuse; Resort property doesn't have to have lounge.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by Arnond Kitnitchee
No more Platinum happy hours for Sheraton Pranburi Villas. Same excuse; Resort property doesn't have to have lounge.
that’s a bummer, we were there in July and the cocktail hour was definitely a highlight,
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:31 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Very disappointing downgrade for both Hua Hin properties. I guess it will be Hyatt Regency for me going forward then.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
New plat benefits

As already noted the Marriott takeover has seriously degraded the plat experience here. What isn't different, though, is the great staff and how especially caring they are (I think to everybody but esp to repeat guests).
The property remains what it has always been - peaceful (well if you exclude special events like weddings - which I quite like but many find annoying) with exceptional staff, very well kept up with excellent follow up to any problem or special request.
Plat ug seem to be intact (even tho the marriott app /website is flaky and doesn't show ug in advance like spg used to
No more free lounge ( the lounge is open for a charge of 1500 baht/pp or for guests who pay for ?(all) suites)
There is now a separate line for plat check in - no more nice sitting down to check in in the lounge
Upon check in plats are given a choice of drinks and snack OR 1000 points OR free breakfast (can someone tell me how to resize the photo?)

Last edited by estnet; Oct 12, 2018 at 1:38 am
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
So much for the "...SPG properties will give same elite treatments before and after merger...." useless spin ...The Marriott is probably a good alternative now vs. the Sheraton hotels at least its is a newer hotel
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by X-ON
So much for the "...SPG properties will give same elite treatments before and after merger...." useless spin ...The Marriott is probably a good alternative now vs. the Sheraton hotels at least its is a newer hotel
I don't think it is - just my opinion. The Marriott is HUGE hotel with a very different (and to me "tour group feel") experience. It has a lot of games/toys in the pools for children so that may be attractive to some. There is an adult pool but it does not compare to the Sheraton's huge pool.
The M is right in the center of town, so that may be attractive to some but the S is certainly more peaceful. As for breakfast at the M I found it to be a mad zoo-like place with often a wait to be seated - again lots of children running around and not enough seating (even tho the S can be crowded they seem to handle it a lot better IME than the M did and the children seem to be better behaved - but that's just my experience.
Even tho the M beach is better and there is more in arms reach the atmosphere is so different. For me after staying at the M I would not go back - even tho I was upgraded to a "suite" - it was a strange configuration (odd shaped rooms due to the construction design) and other factors.
Different strokes for different folks - they are really quite different experiences (and price points) so I'm not sure that S just offering the same benefits as the M makes it a slam dunk to prefer the M - that said it is always disappointing to have benefits taken away (and Marriott has proved that nothing they "promise" is necessarily true) but I did want to let people know what the current situation is.
X-ON likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by estnet
I don't think it is - just my opinion. The Marriott is HUGE hotel with a very different (and to me "tour group feel") experience. It has a lot of games/toys in the pools for children so that may be attractive to some. There is an adult pool but it does not compare to the Sheraton's huge pool.
The M is right in the center of town, so that may be attractive to some but the S is certainly more peaceful. As for breakfast at the M I found it to be a mad zoo-like place with often a wait to be seated - again lots of children running around and not enough seating (even tho the S can be crowded they seem to handle it a lot better IME than the M did and the children seem to be better behaved - but that's just my experience.
Even tho the M beach is better and there is more in arms reach the atmosphere is so different. For me after staying at the M I would not go back - even tho I was upgraded to a "suite" - it was a strange configuration (odd shaped rooms due to the construction design) and other factors.
Different strokes for different folks - they are really quite different experiences (and price points) so I'm not sure that S just offering the same benefits as the M makes it a slam dunk to prefer the M - that said it is always disappointing to have benefits taken away (and Marriott has proved that nothing they "promise" is necessarily true) but I did want to let people know what the current situation is.

100% agree the M is a factory, not relaxing at all, way to busy, all shine and no substance
estnet likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:54 am

Confirmed no lounge access, they say lounge is no more !! Also upgrades are "only owner member room " , any idea what that means.

Shame, we used to love this place but seems its going downhill , will go this summer but maybe the last, if almost no plat benefits we might as well try somewhere else
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
Confirmed no lounge access, they say lounge is no more !! Also upgrades are "only owner member room " , any idea what that means.

Shame, we used to love this place but seems its going downhill , will go this summer but maybe the last, if almost no plat benefits we might as well try somewhere else
Clarified the comments just means only one room eligible for upgrades, which Is no change.

My feeling is Plat benefits are on the decline globally, and will continue to do so
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Curious as to how people are getting to the resort as I believe it is a long distance from BKK.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Curious as to how people are getting to the resort as I believe it is a long distance from BKK.
The most convenient option is a private transfer by companies such as huahincab.com. Prices from THB 2,400++ for a standard car. These cars do pick ups anywhere in BKK (including airports) and drive you right to the property.
Less hassle than long distance buses, minivans or trains which would require a taxi ride to the property.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Yes, private car or van is the way to go. It's not that expensive, and only a couple of hours. The Sheraton is a bit outside (north) of the main part of the city, much longer than a walk. You'll need transportation to get into town; it's several kilometers.

MG, if you're planning to go, be aware of what, for me, were significant drawbacks to this property. First, there's basically no beach. While there is one photo (out of 104) on the hotel website showing a beach, it's not that wide and was taken at extremely low tide. Note, for example, that all of the beach lounges and umbrellas are on the hotel's lawn, up from the beach. There's a reason. On our stay, we found that the average beach width (from the water line to the small wall separating the lawn from the beach) was 2-3 feet.

Second, if there's an outdoor event, e.g., wedding, while you're there, I believe that you'll find the music unacceptably loud. My friends and I found it blaring and offensive. They set up just adjacent to the public lawn area by the beach, and there's no row of dividing shrubbery or similar. We couldn't hear each other well enough to carry on a conversation, and we had to leave that area. IMO there are better properties in Hua Hin.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
there's basically no beach
True for much of Hua Hin. The waters are extremely shallow and the beach essentially goes away at high tide. Note also the waters here are not the clear blue you see in Thailand pictures, I presume because the location is too close to the Chao Praya river delta.

I will say though that a recent stay at Barai Villas (Hyatt) was one of the better resort stays I've ever had.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Yes, private car or van is the way to go. It's not that expensive, and only a couple of hours. The Sheraton is a bit outside (north) of the main part of the city, much longer than a walk. You'll need transportation to get into town; it's several kilometers.

MG, if you're planning to go, be aware of what, for me, were significant drawbacks to this property. First, there's basically no beach. While there is one photo (out of 104) on the hotel website showing a beach, it's not that wide and was taken at extremely low tide. Note, for example, that all of the beach lounges and umbrellas are on the hotel's lawn, up from the beach. There's a reason. On our stay, we found that the average beach width (from the water line to the small wall separating the lawn from the beach) was 2-3 feet.

Second, if there's an outdoor event, e.g., wedding, while you're there, I believe that you'll find the music unacceptably loud. My friends and I found it blaring and offensive. They set up just adjacent to the public lawn area by the beach, and there's no row of dividing shrubbery or similar. We couldn't hear each other well enough to carry on a conversation, and we had to leave that area. IMO there are better properties in Hua Hin.
OK, this just got a lot less interesting Plus the thought of a 2-3 hr drive to get there isn't appealing. So will cross this one off the bucket list. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.