Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Vienna, Austria [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Stayed here two nights earlier this month and was upgraded to their Executive Suite upon check in. This was a very nice gesture, and much appreciated.

The suite was on the top floor and led out to the roof of the building (like a balcony but much bigger -- wish I took pix). Very nice of them to have offered the minibar but I was there for work and didn't really have the time or energy to drink after work. I had the gummibären though, and I really liked the complementary Manner wafer they put on the table. I recommend getting those as souvenirs from Vienna.

What was unfortunate was that breakfast wasn't included as a Plat benefit. It was one of the three options as welcome gift so I took the points instead.

I also liked how they offered complementary color printing in the basement business centre. The printer wasn't of top quality but most other hotels I've been to would typically charge you an arm and a leg for a side printed.

Location wise good, and I got in easily with luggage by taking the train from the airport to Landstraße station and then changing to Karlsplatz.

Last edited by roverkt; May 30, 2014 at 8:42 am
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by roverkt
Stayed here two nights earlier this month and was upgraded to their Executive Suite upon check in. This was a very nice gesture, and much appreciated.

The suite was on the top floor and led out to the roof of the building (like a balcony but much bigger -- wish I took pix). Very nice of them to have offered the minibar but I was there for work and didn't really have the time or energy to drink after work. I had the gummibären though, and I really liked the complementary Manner wafer they put on the table. I recommend getting those as souvenirs from Vienna.

What was unfortunate was that breakfast wasn't included as a Plat benefit. It was one of the three options as welcome gift so I took the points instead.

I also liked how they offered complementary color printing in the basement business centre. The printer wasn't of top quality but most other hotels I've been to would typically charge you an arm and a leg for a side printed.

Location wise good, and I got in easily with luggage by taking the train from the airport to Landstraße station and then changing to Karlsplatz.
I was there for the second time in a year. Dont worry too much about breakfast. They had spoiled orange juice and the service in that room needs more supervision.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:02 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I read down thread somewhere that coffee was offered via a machine until 8AM somewhere.. is that still the case? Thanks
FDW
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
I am looking to use pts for a 2 night stay here in July. I am able to Select a 2 bed Deluxe room and it says Complimentary mini bar.

That sound TOO good to be true lol What exactly does that entail? Can anyone describe this mini bar?

I will be traveling with my buddies so we will definitely empty that bar.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by alrvd83
I am looking to use pts for a 2 night stay here in July. I am able to Select a 2 bed Deluxe room and it says Complimentary mini bar.

That sound TOO good to be true lol What exactly does that entail? Can anyone describe this mini bar?

I will be traveling with my buddies so we will definitely empty that bar.
Ohhh I remember that...don't get too excited. Free waters & juices in the fridge? Might have been a beer but I can't recall for certain.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, LH SEN
Complimentary mini bar.
Yes, as far as I remember it's something like mineral water, coke, (orange/apple) juice, and a bottle of beer.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:15 pm

It has already been described in this thread, which isn't long at all. For the record:

Originally Posted by Braindrain
Yes, minibar still free. 2 bottles of water (gas/still), 2 Cokes (regular/diet), apple juice, OJ, and some kind of non-alcoholic beer. Not sure about the last one as I didn't bother to try it.
Originally Posted by beltway
That last part sounds very odd. Our brew product earlier this month (replenished daily in both rooms) was Ottakringer Helles, which is ~5.5% ABV.

For those who care, the water bottles are large (1 liter) and made of glass (hence unsuitable for tossing in your backpack for the day). The OJ is sweetened, which may offend purists; the Cokes are in glass bottles, much to the delight of traditionalists everywhere.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl

Checked in today for a quick one night stay and overall not happy with what I encountered and was told today at check-in. As some background info, I stay at the hotel a couple of times a year (usually on a negotiated corporate rate) and as a Plat. have NEVER seen the inside of a suite.

Booked a one night AAA rate (so not our normal corporate rate since it was actually higher). Arrived at the hotel and here's what transpired:
- welcomed back and agent began to process check-in
- during the process I asked if I had received any type of upgrade
- told "oh yes... We upgraded you to an Executive Room from the Deluxe you booked"
- asked if there were any suites (which I had actually seen were available while taking the cab from the airport)
- told " we've already upgraded you two categories"
- acknowledged the two category upgrade but questioned why I was not given a suite if one was available at time of check-in
- she said she needed to get her manager to discuss this and also the AAA rate I had booked. Evidently she needed my AAA card which I had forgotten at home in the U.S.
- manager came out and said I needed to present my AAA card or she could not honor the rate.
- since I couldn't get it I told her to charge me the regular rate if it was such a big deal
- manger said she had to do that since I didn't have the card
- I again asked about a suite upgrade and why I had not received one
- told again by the manager "we upgraded you two categories"
- I said that goes against the T&C IF she had a standard suite available and I again asked why I was not offered the suite by the agent
- I told her in all my stays I had never had a suite upgrade and now I understood why...a 2 category upgrade was their Plat. upgrade policy
- now the manager got flustered and said "we give the 2 category upgrade because we ASSUME Plat. members would rather have an Executive Room which faces the outside of the hotel than a Jr. suite which faces the inside".....really!!!!!
- basically I think she was trying to cover her _ _ _!
- what is it? No suite upgrade because it's not available as the T&C say or you make the "assumption" I don't want a suite but an Executive Room instead?

I really like the hotel and the location but honestly I had assumed I never got a suite upgrade due to our corporate rate but evidently that was not the reason. It really irks me when hotels try to game the system!

Last edited by christianj; Apr 26, 2015 at 12:45 pm
Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
As some background info, I stay at the hotel a couple of times a year (usually on a negotiated corporate rate) and as a Plat. have NEVER seen the inside of a suite.
[...]
- asked if there were any suites (which I had actually seen were available while taking the cab from the airport)
- told " we've already upgraded you two categories"
- acknowledged the two category upgrade but questioned why I was not given a suite if one was available at time of check-in
Because "listed for sale online" is not the same as "was available at time of check-in." You may find the wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html informative.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Because "listed for sale online" is not the same as "was available at time of check-in." You may find the wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html informative.
This isn't about said suites being ready (or not) at check-in...it's that they're for sale, yet many Starwoods deny them.

Frustration levels would be much, much less if the hotels would say "oh yes, we do see all those suites for sale, they're just not cleaned yet"...but that's not the issue.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Been 3-4 times in the past 2 years. Never got a suite. Junior suites seemed available on the app. I queried it once and was told no suite was available. I now stay elsewhere in Vienna and explained why in the feedback form after the stay. I'll go back when someone from SPG makes them follow the plat policy. Not holding my breath.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Thanks for this but as a Plat. Ambassador and only a couple of nights away from Lifetime Plat. I know how the program works and I understand the difference between being available and selling.

If you re read my post, the manager (as well as the initial check-in agent) confirmed that a Standard Suite (which is what Plat. are entitled to at check-in) was indeed available at the time of my check-in. Manager however stated "we upgraded you two categories" and only after I asked about the suite said "we ASSUME Plat would rather have a Executive Room rather than a suite."

Standard Suite was ready and available so why was it not AUTOMATICALLY offered at check-in?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by christianj
Standard Suite was ready and available so why was it not AUTOMATICALLY offered at check-in?
Because they happily violate the terms and tell you that on your face. You can escalate it to SPG corporate or ignore it and go somewhere else next time.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I was just at this property at the end of June on a two-night points-and-cash stay. As a gold member, I was upgraded to an Executive room on the second floor of the hotel facing the street. I was a bit worried about the noise, but I guess the windows have enough noise suppression such that I wasn't bothered by any street noise.

I found the room very comfortable and did appreciate the free mini-bar. I showed up around 9 a.m., and they were able to get me into a room by 1:00 p.m. They were also able to give me late checkout for 2 p.m. One hiccup was that their internet was out for the first day I was there, but as I was out doing tourist things, it wasn't a big deal.

One thing I really had trouble with was the design of the bathroom. It was all form over function. The shower, while it had a good water pressure and a bunch of shower heads, tended to flood almost the entirety of the bathroom. I don't know if the drains were simply slow or the design wasn't good, but I ended up using towels as dams to constrain the flood waters a bit. The sink didn't have much in the way of counter space and there wasn't a hook or anything to hang a hand towel.

Otherwise, as others have noted, the location of the hotel is fanatastic for tourist activities.

Originally Posted by zagy
and the one thing that will make me stay somewhere else next time:
There's a REALLY annoying cracking sound that the furniture makes And it's even worse when you turn on the light...
I called the reception and they said "yes... we know... we apologize. It's the temperature, which causes the wood to make these sounds"... Perfect when you have to work in the room
Thank you for posting this. I couldn't figure out what was making those cracking sounds.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
I had a nice junior suite upgrade but the coffee policy is awful. Instant coffee in room and there's no other tway o get complimentary coffee in the am unless you take the breakfast amenity. Disappointed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.