Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel, Romania [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel, Romania [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2014, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Wickersley
Here tonight....

What a great hotel, terrific staff, great upgrade, what more could I ask??

(Two night stay Ski, I'll do my homework tomorrow & give you a lounge update :-D)
And the update is?

Cheers.
Old May 20, 2014, 9:46 am

JamesEaston posted this in the exec lounge sticky. Since it provides a bit more info than what I need for the exec lounge sticky I thought I'd post it here. Thanks to JE for providing the info:

JW Bucharest – Average size lounge staffed only during meal hours. Breakfast is small but both warm and cold, good selection. Dinner is a full meal (chicken, roast potatoes and asparagus spears on my visit) with premium alcohol, imported beer and wine.

Cheers.
Old May 25, 2014, 3:59 pm

Good facilities, okay location, so-so staff

just completed a two night stay on points, overall an okay experience. One word to describe the impression is "snobbish".

The good: the room was pretty spacious and well furnished, good amenities. The lobby and surrounding shops are very impressive.

The okay: location is not bad, next to a lot of communist-time government buildings that look grand, chiefly the Parliament. But is not terribly close to anything else. So walking to dinner or the old town is kind of far. (aside: my local friend recommended the Radisson Blu for a better location and service, but since this is a points redemption, my choices were limited)

The so-so: we were on vacation and dressed like back packers and arrived on a Thursday night. The lobby was filled with ... socialites (for lack of a better word) ... in party dress, so we looked a bit drab. But the problem is that the front desk staff seemed to think so as well. The check in process was cold and impersonal, no acknowledging of my name, my (lowly) silver membership, no smiles. And to make it worse, it wasn't efficient. The agent asked for my credit card even though it was the first thing handed to her, which was buried in subsequent check in papers.
To add a final indignity, since I booked on points, and only have a 9 RON ($3 ish) business center charge, they couldn't even take my payment on credit card at check out, because the amount is "too small". I have charged many more smaller amounts on that card at home (small coffee etc.), and some small purchases at road side shops in Bucharest, so I know this is something special to the hotel... since I was leaving the country from there, and the self parking is cash only, I didn't have much cash on me and had to scramble for a 9 RON cash charge...

So in summary, not a bad place to spend your money, but I can do without the snobbish holier-than-thou attitude.

Note: an edited version of this review was also submitted on Marriott's review platform.
Old May 26, 2014, 7:59 am

That's b.s. on the credit card. They should have accepted it even if it was a small amount. Thanks for the update.

Cheers.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
I was just here last night on an annual credit card night stay. I received an email a few nights before check-in with a variety of paid upgrade options (Virtual Concierge). One option was an upgrade to Executive Room including Internet and access to the Executive lounge for $60.

I happily requested this and received an email back from the hotel within a few hours confirming my upgrade and verifying the cost.

Check in is at 3:00PM, I arrived at 2:50PM and was informed that the room will be ready only at 3:45PM due to high occupancy. I was politely requested to relax in the executive lounge and they would bring my luggage to the room and inform me when ready. I'm not one to complain about such a mild delay and went to the lounge. My room was ready as promised with suitcase waiting for me.

The executive room is very spacious with a king bed and a 2+1 sitting area plus desk. My room was on the 8th floor, only a few doors from the lounge and close to elevators. I had a connecting door, but did not notice any significant noise from my neighbor. The bathroom is beautiful marble with both shower AND separate bathtub. All possible amenities were there, including mouthwash, shaving kit, and toothbrush with mini toothpaste, comb.

The room and bathroom were immaculate and clean.

I am a Silver elite and was left 2 complimentary glass bottles of Romanian bottled water (250ml each). A woman I spoke with in the lounge who is Platinum for Life was given chocolates and a bottle of Romanian wine. She was upgraded from standard room to Executive. They wanted extra payment for a suite.

Unlike previous members' experiences that I read about here, I was told that I could have breakfast only in the lounge, which was fine by me. There was hot and cold (eggs and a few meats), cereal, muffins and pastries, toast, vegetables, fruit, coffee machine, yogurts. Offered 6:30-10:30AM.

Dinner was a full meal with 2 choices: roasted or grilled chicken breast or baked cod fillet with cherry tomatoes. The sides were mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli. All very tasty. A few desserts. Offered 5:30-7:30PM.

24/7 coffee/tea, Italian bottled water both regular and sparkling, soft drinks, milk, juices. 5:30-9:30PM complimentary bottled beer (Heineken, Carlsberg, Ursus (great Romanian beer!)) and Romanian wines.

During down time between meals there were 3 choices of cakes and some cookies.

For those who want to arrive by bus from the airport, it is very simple although does require changing lines: take 783 from the airport to the final stop (Piata Unirii 2). Then, continue walking straight to the pedestrian crosswalk and cross the street (you are"turning left"). Then cross the street again, crossing BOTH sets of lanes (like you are turning left again). You will see a set of bus stops to your right, where you need to catch bus 385. Ride the bus 6 stops to "Arsenalului" which is practically in front of the hotel.

Overall great experience on all levels. One of the best Marriotts I've been to!

Last edited by moe8555; Jun 19, 2014 at 9:25 am
Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:25 pm

Thanks for the updated trip report!

Cheers.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
This question may be better suited for the destinations forum, but here goes:

How is the food scene in Bucharest? Wife and I are looking for a 3-4 day quick trip to Europe in January, and this is one of our options. We would stay at the JW. Also considering Scotland (friends there, but terrible food), or maybe Krakow. Would love to go to Paris but want to go when we can stay longer.

Wherever we decide, I promise a Marriott trip report!

Sorry for the OT question.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA-GGL, LH-Sen
JW Marriott in Bucharest

Nachos, there are good restaurants in Bucharest though it's not exactly a culinary capital. The local food is not remarkable but there's lots of options for good European/ international food. Having said that Many of those are either by the lake or in the historic centre and in January there isn't much going on.

Btw, the steak house in the JW is quite good - just to stay slightly on topic :-D
Old Jul 1, 2014, 1:04 pm

My two cents about the snob factor that 3dot14 wrote about:

Arrived a little after 9AM. Was told that if I wanted to check in I'd have to pay a 50Euro surcharge. I said I'd just wait in the lounge (platinum elite). She told me no (omg, right). So I said well I could just sit here in the lobby for six hours but I'll speak to your manager instead.

Needless to say the manager didn't come out but the check in agent came back from the office looking pale, apologizing and putting me in a great executive room on the spot (very similar to the room moe8555 described but at the end of the hall with a view of the parliament building).

Once past the arrogance of the reception staff the executive floor rooms and lounge are fantastic
Old May 22, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Any new updates or trip reports from this hotel?

My fiancé and I will be staying here two nights in mid July as we're taking a 3 country Europe trip and this is our middle stop on our trip!
Old May 22, 2016, 7:40 am

If you don't get an update before your trip, please report back after your trip.

Cheers.
Old May 22, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by alrvd83
Any new updates or trip reports from this hotel?

My fiancé and I will be staying here two nights in mid July as we're taking a 3 country Europe trip and this is our middle stop on our trip!
I have been there only at restaurants and bars recently (stayed there in the past over night) but still would think it is the best hotel in Romania.

As you are IHG member also the IC at University Square would be an alternative with a more central location but for me and the locals the JW Grand has been the top always. Donīt expect perfect service always in any hotel in Romania as we are used to in our hemisphere - Romania has been improving in the past years but service is not yet always to our expectations.
Old May 22, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by submonte
I have been there only at restaurants and bars recently (stayed there in the past over night) but still would think it is the best hotel in Romania.

As you are IHG member also the IC at University Square would be an alternative with a more central location but for me and the locals the JW Grand has been the top always. Donīt expect perfect service always in any hotel in Romania as we are used to in our hemisphere - Romania has been improving in the past years but service is not yet always to our expectations.
Thanks for the feedback...greatly appreciated.

I have pts with IHG, and spg as well, but the JW seemed like the best for this city. Marriott is my #1, but I got with spg or ihg from time to time for work travel.
Old May 23, 2016, 3:16 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by alrvd83
Thanks for the feedback...greatly appreciated.

I have pts with IHG, and spg as well, but the JW seemed like the best for this city. Marriott is my #1, but I got with spg or ihg from time to time for work travel.
Not to go too off topic, but the Intercontinental has a very good executive lounge produce. They are also pretty good about suite upgrades (YMMV). I do believe they are embarking on a room refresh. I was there 2+ years ago. They did do a complete re-fresh of the lounge.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Have to go to Bucharest for work next week. Here or the Sheraton?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.