FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel, Romania [Master Thread]
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:11 am
moe8555

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
I was just here last night on an annual credit card night stay. I received an email a few nights before check-in with a variety of paid upgrade options (Virtual Concierge). One option was an upgrade to Executive Room including Internet and access to the Executive lounge for $60.

I happily requested this and received an email back from the hotel within a few hours confirming my upgrade and verifying the cost.

Check in is at 3:00PM, I arrived at 2:50PM and was informed that the room will be ready only at 3:45PM due to high occupancy. I was politely requested to relax in the executive lounge and they would bring my luggage to the room and inform me when ready. I'm not one to complain about such a mild delay and went to the lounge. My room was ready as promised with suitcase waiting for me.

The executive room is very spacious with a king bed and a 2+1 sitting area plus desk. My room was on the 8th floor, only a few doors from the lounge and close to elevators. I had a connecting door, but did not notice any significant noise from my neighbor. The bathroom is beautiful marble with both shower AND separate bathtub. All possible amenities were there, including mouthwash, shaving kit, and toothbrush with mini toothpaste, comb.

The room and bathroom were immaculate and clean.

I am a Silver elite and was left 2 complimentary glass bottles of Romanian bottled water (250ml each). A woman I spoke with in the lounge who is Platinum for Life was given chocolates and a bottle of Romanian wine. She was upgraded from standard room to Executive. They wanted extra payment for a suite.

Unlike previous members' experiences that I read about here, I was told that I could have breakfast only in the lounge, which was fine by me. There was hot and cold (eggs and a few meats), cereal, muffins and pastries, toast, vegetables, fruit, coffee machine, yogurts. Offered 6:30-10:30AM.

Dinner was a full meal with 2 choices: roasted or grilled chicken breast or baked cod fillet with cherry tomatoes. The sides were mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli. All very tasty. A few desserts. Offered 5:30-7:30PM.

24/7 coffee/tea, Italian bottled water both regular and sparkling, soft drinks, milk, juices. 5:30-9:30PM complimentary bottled beer (Heineken, Carlsberg, Ursus (great Romanian beer!)) and Romanian wines.

During down time between meals there were 3 choices of cakes and some cookies.

For those who want to arrive by bus from the airport, it is very simple although does require changing lines: take 783 from the airport to the final stop (Piata Unirii 2). Then, continue walking straight to the pedestrian crosswalk and cross the street (you are"turning left"). Then cross the street again, crossing BOTH sets of lanes (like you are turning left again). You will see a set of bus stops to your right, where you need to catch bus 385. Ride the bus 6 stops to "Arsenalului" which is practically in front of the hotel.

Overall great experience on all levels. One of the best Marriotts I've been to!

Last edited by moe8555; Jun 19, 2014 at 9:25 am