Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai 2009 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG Instant Awards
Print Wikipost

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai 2009 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
All you have to do is ignore anyone striking up a conversation with you.
Keep on walking. This is becoming more common almost anywhere in
Shanghai.
I can't say that I agree with "more common almost everywhere in Shanghai". I'm in 新天地 which is also a tourist trap; while there are certainly hookers in the area, they are much less aggressive than their counterparts on 南京东路. And, in jing'an/xuhui/gubei, I never notice (apart from obvious chicken streets).
Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
All you have to do is ignore anyone striking up a conversation with you.
Keep on walking. This is becoming more common almost anywhere in
Shanghai.
I disagree, I tried that but it was like being hounded, as soon as one pimp gave up another would start. It was seriously annoying and just turned what should be a pleasant stroll into a constant series of unpleasant engagements.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:19 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by newshound
I disagree, I tried that but it was like being hounded, as soon as one pimp gave up another would start. It was seriously annoying and just turned what should be a pleasant stroll into a constant series of unpleasant engagements.
I have to totally agree with you guys. I just checked in yesterday and I'm here for a few days. Our office is about a 15 minute walk down the pedestrian boulevard behind the hotel and I'm totally harassed by women trying to lure me back, young pimps and the like, etc.

I was here a year ago and remember the same treatment - a constant tapping on your shoulder, people following you close trying to solicit you, etc. The touch thing is the worst, people tapping you to get your attention, touching your arm, waving in your face when you won't acknowledge them.

I'm a fast walker, which helps and I've learned that wearing earphones, even if I'm not listening to anything discourages them about 50% but sheesh, I'd love to take a slow stroll sometime and just take in all the sights but I can't, I have to be on a mission, looking dead ahead, walking fast, acknowledging nobody.

I understand as a tall white guy I already stick out but it really sours me on ever coming to Shanghai. I'm sure it's lovely and there are some interesting places but all I go away remembering is the 24/7 harassment i get every time I step out the door and want to walk anywhere.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:01 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Just had a pleasant stay here. This was the cheapest hotel I stayed at in China and it showed (I got used to toilet seats opening automatically for me) but I've got no complaints at the price point.

Upgraded to a Junior Suite, room service was fine and staff were competent. The staff/ guest ratio was a bit low so things are a bit manic, but that comes with the price point. I didn't really hang around in the public area too much so I can't comment on the pimps, but I certainly didn't see anything. The hotel appeared to cater mainly to Chinese and a handful of American families.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:28 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Rooms are a bit dated, weak ac and dimly lit. Suites only have city views, no Bund view.

That being said, loved the sky lobby and had pleasant breakfast.
Also the best lounge I've been to.

Old May 19, 2016, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I'm surprised there hasn't been more posts on recent stays.

I just spend 2 nights at LRM early May. I was upgraded to an Imperial suite, there are new names for suites, which is the 3rd level suite from the top, after Presidential and Royal Suites. I did not use SNA nor did I have to ask for upgrade. The 2-room suite was very nicely appointed, at the corner on 60th floor (I think). The bath tub looks out at the Bund and the Orient Pearl across the river. The living room floor to ceiling window looks out at Peoples' Square. This suite was definitely not dated.

There was a bottle of wine, cookies and fruit, along with a note from the General Manager welcoming me on my 6th stay at LRM. A very nice touch.

The Executive Lounge was as I remembered from previous stays, which was very nice with decent food and beverages. Breakfast in the restaurant was good but not as good as the Kerry Hotel Pudong.

I like the location of LRM, much better than Westin Bund for Metro access. If I need to be in Pudong, then I'll stay the Kerry. Otherwise, I prefer LRM.
Old May 19, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Imperial Suite. Bund view from bath. People's Square view from living room.
Attached Images      
Old May 19, 2016, 11:29 pm

Nice review and pictures. I haven't been to Shanghai in more than a decade. I wonder, which of the SPG hotels would be good for a Shanghai Disneyland trip ? Any advice?
Old May 20, 2016, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
Nice review and pictures. I haven't been to Shanghai in more than a decade. I wonder, which of the SPG hotels would be good for a Shanghai Disneyland trip ? Any advice?
There are no SPG hotels near Disneyland, but if you're just planning on checking it out for a day, staying in town isn't such a big drag.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
Stay at Disney!
Attached Images  
Old Jul 8, 2016, 3:08 am

Unfortunately, had a really bad check-in experience last week that got me really upset. The LRM is my recommended go-to hotel in Shanghai. Guess that's no longer the case. Here's a picture of their incredible lounge-view though.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:13 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by miloworld
Unfortunately, had a really bad check-in experience last week that got me really upset. The LRM is my recommended go-to hotel in Shanghai. Guess that's no longer the case. Here's a picture of their incredible lounge-view though.
Care to share?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Great Platinum treatment by this hotel and management!

Confirmed advance upgrade to 2 bedroom "wow" Deluxe Grand Residence suite plus Royal Club access for the price of 2 standard rooms.

Great location.

Staff really trying hard to accommodate as much as possible. Pasta bar on certain nights in Royal Club is a nice touch!
Old Oct 28, 2016, 1:21 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Does the hotel still providing the smart phone?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by lingua101
Does the hotel still providing the smart phone?
Still? Did they ever?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.