Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai 2009 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG Instant Awards
Print Wikipost

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai 2009 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2009, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K, AS 75K, LT Titanium, Globalist
After staying a few times at this hotel, I recently visited for vacation with my wife. One of the nights I had to do a new york-shanghai video conference. For those that need the information, internet is available via wired connection and wireless through china net. For those that are more technical, I ran tests at all hours of the day and night (I was presenting remotely to the CEO of our company). here are the numbers for this hotel:

Wired internet connection
Persistent up/down bandwidth: 1.5Mbps
Ping: 24 (local in china) to 173 (new york server)
Jitter: 4-5 ms regardless of server location

Overall I was extremely impressed by the wired connection. You can run a full synchronous video conference from your room at any time during the day and expect these results (which is more than I can say about 90% of US-based hotels).

The wirless connection had grandwidth of 550kbps down and aroud 1mbps up (a little backwards), but ping and jitter was very high, in the 300ms range for ping and 25-30ms for jitter.

Hope this helps if you're planning on doing business in the hotel.

BTW- I purchased a wireless access card as a backup in case the wired connection broke, only used about one hour of the 8 hour block. If anyone is interested and staying there in the next week I can email you both card numbers (worth 100RMB or $14). Shoot me a PM and post so we know who was first.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:50 pm

Location: San Francisco, Shanghai, Taipei, Hong Kong, Shenzhen.
Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam, UA GS
ihdihd: Thanks for the internet review. That's helpful.

Originally Posted by ihdihd
After staying a few times at this hotel, I recently visited for vacation with my wife. One of the nights I had to do a new york-shanghai video conference. For those that need the information, internet is available via wired connection and wireless through china net. For those that are more technical, I ran tests at all hours of the day and night (I was presenting remotely to the CEO of our company). here are the numbers for this hotel:

Wired internet connection
Persistent up/down bandwidth: 1.5Mbps
Ping: 24 (local in china) to 173 (new york server)
Jitter: 4-5 ms regardless of server location

Overall I was extremely impressed by the wired connection. You can run a full synchronous video conference from your room at any time during the day and expect these results (which is more than I can say about 90% of US-based hotels).

The wirless connection had grandwidth of 550kbps down and aroud 1mbps up (a little backwards), but ping and jitter was very high, in the 300ms range for ping and 25-30ms for jitter.

Hope this helps if you're planning on doing business in the hotel.

BTW- I purchased a wireless access card as a backup in case the wired connection broke, only used about one hour of the 8 hour block. If anyone is interested and staying there in the next week I can email you both card numbers (worth 100RMB or $14). Shoot me a PM and post so we know who was first.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 8:57 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Originally Posted by ihdihd
YGM. Thanks for the great info BTW.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2MM, Ritz/Marriott Plat, Hyatt Platinum
le Royal Meridian Shanghai

Is this a great hotel? Worth upgrading to club level? Are the rooms big? How about jr suite vs regular room??

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Feb 10, 2010 at 3:53 pm Reason: Merged into relevant master thread
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Exclamation

Originally Posted by sockster
Is this a great hotel? Worth upgrading to club level? Are the rooms big? How about jr suite vs regular room??
Please refer to the Le Royal Meridien Shanghai Master Thread in The SPG Forum FAQ & Hotel Master Thread List.

When posting, the FAQ thread is the first place one should look for information. Good luck.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 2MM, Ritz/Marriott Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Focus, going in three weeks. Choices are Jr Suite with free internet and breakfast buffet, OR jr suite Royal floor, no free internet but obviously Royal service, or maybe a dlx suite. What do you think? THANKS
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:05 pm

Sockster,

It depends how much you value your access to the Executive Club Lounge. Personally, I would go with the Breakfast and Internet. Don't get me wrong, the Lounge is one of the nicest ones I have been in, but how much time will you be able to spend in the lounge? Other than that, being on the club floor is not a huge deal. The Lounge breakfast is nice American/Chinese hot breakfast buffet, but breakfast in the Lobby restaurant is much better in my opinion, much more variety. Another thing to consider is that there are only 2 jr suites on the Club floor so to be honest, the likelihood of you getting one of them is slim.

Dlx suite I am assuming would be the Residential Suite which is a very nice corner suite, if you can get one of these I would highly recommend it. Read my previous post on this thread for more details. However, there are no Residential Suites on the Club floor.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:11 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Lufthansa M&M FTL, FlyingBlue, Air Berlin Top Bonus
SPG PLAT - not (substantially) upgraded

since I read so many posts from people being upgraded to suites in LRM Shanghai I just wanted to mention that as I am writing this I am not upgraded to a suite although I am SPG Plat with an enormous amount of nights over the last few years (although I guess this doesn't really make a difference).
But it seems like the Starwood homepage is not showing any availability for suites over the next few days so they might actually be fully booked.

I still got a small upgrade to a nice room on the 40th floor with view on the Bund/Pudong. I wouldn't complain about this room as it still has a sofa plus armchair, big TV, seperate shower, bathtub, toilet. Upgrade to a suite would have been nicer of course, though...
Really enjoying the club lounge, too as I am here on vacation. I am already looking forward to the breakfast in the "Royal Club" tomorrow morning :-)

Regards,
Till
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:05 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Assuming you were writing this on 3/21, there is actually jr. suite being sold on spg.com. You may want to check with the front desk or royal club again. Also, why eat in the club lounge when you can also have breakfast in the lobby restaurant for free.

Originally Posted by tillephone
since I read so many posts from people being upgraded to suites in LRM Shanghai I just wanted to mention that as I am writing this I am not upgraded to a suite although I am SPG Plat with an enormous amount of nights over the last few years (although I guess this doesn't really make a difference).
But it seems like the Starwood homepage is not showing any availability for suites over the next few days so they might actually be fully booked.

I still got a small upgrade to a nice room on the 40th floor with view on the Bund/Pudong. I wouldn't complain about this room as it still has a sofa plus armchair, big TV, seperate shower, bathtub, toilet. Upgrade to a suite would have been nicer of course, though...
Really enjoying the club lounge, too as I am here on vacation. I am already looking forward to the breakfast in the "Royal Club" tomorrow morning :-)

Regards,
Till
Old Mar 21, 2010, 2:35 am

Till,

Firstly, welcome to Shanghai!

I am currently at the LRM also and I know they are at over 90% occupancy so it doesn't surprise me that you didn't get upgraded if you checked in on the weekend. Although when I checked in on Wednesday they did upgrade me to Jr Suite. Don't worry, you are not missing much, the Jr Suites are not that much bigger than bund view room. Consider yourself lucky that the bund view has been amazing this weekend as the smog has really cleared since Friday.

I hope you enjoy your stay and I agree with Jimmy, skip the "good" Executive Club lounge breakfast and hit up the "excellent" lobby floor breakfast. It may be a bit busier but the selection is much better.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 8:25 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Lufthansa M&M FTL, FlyingBlue, Air Berlin Top Bonus
Hi jimmychang and F0CUS,

You're right, Junior Suites are now available. But I checked in on Friday and probably all were given away already. Anyway, I'm quite happy with my room and as F0CUS mentioned with the view on The Bund and Pudong today and on Friday.
Thanks for the advice about the breakfast, too. I'll try out the breakfast downstairs tomorrow morning.
Regards,
Till
Old Apr 8, 2010, 9:22 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I will be staying at the Meridien in Feburary as part of a milege run early next year.
I seem to rember that the Westin had a desk at PVG where they would put you in a taxi and tell the driver where to take you. Does Le Meridien have one also?

Alternately, is there a 'card' or something to print out in Chinese on the website (could not fond) that also says where to go? I have them from previous stays at hotels in China, but not for this hotel.
Thanks
Ed
Old Apr 8, 2010, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Vulcan
I will be staying at the Meridien in Feburary as part of a milege run early next year.
I seem to rember that the Westin had a desk at PVG where they would put you in a taxi and tell the driver where to take you. Does Le Meridien have one also?

Alternately, is there a 'card' or something to print out in Chinese on the website (could not fond) that also says where to go? I have them from previous stays at hotels in China, but not for this hotel.
Thanks
Ed
上海市黄浦区南京东路789号
021-33189999

(I wouldn't have bothered to google for the vast majority of FTers, but I have fond memories of you from the shirt mission.)
Old Apr 8, 2010, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
LRM PVG is really close to Raffles Mall, or pronounced "Lai Fuo Shi Zhong Xin" If you can tell that to the cabbie, you can walk 1 min to LRM.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by indo79
LRM PVG is really close to Raffles Mall, or pronounced "Lai Fuo Shi Zhong Xin" If you can tell that to the cabbie, you can walk 1 min to LRM.
While I don't mean to be snarky, PVG generally refers to Pudong Airport, which is nowhere near People's Square. What's more, if I were to hitch a cab at PVG, I'd probably say "People's Square" [in Chinese] (and hand the driver the precise address).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.