Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai 2009 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG Instant Awards
Print Wikipost

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai 2009 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2009, 1:57 am

Programs: SPG Plat
You are lucky. I never got upgrade to 2 room suite in Le Meridien Shanghai for about dozens stay there. Now I prefer Westin.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 2:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
CIT85: Can you comment on the food/drinks in the club lounge?
Old Jul 15, 2009, 6:25 pm

I'm having breakfast and posting from the LRM lounge right now. There's a good variety of decent tasting food including American style breakfast items, fruit, sushi, dumplings, etc. They make the eggs and omeletes to order.

We checked in last night. Since I'm only gold and wanted access to the club for the breakfasts and the internet access, I let them sell me an upgrade to a club room ahead of time for RMB 500/ nigth (on top of the cash and points deal). We we arrived I was talked into anothe RMB 300 for a Junior Suite, which is quite nice, very large, and looks out onto People's Square.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 7:59 pm

Programs: SPG Pt.
CanuckFlyHigh:
In the lounge, you will get morning breakfast, afternoon tea time, and evening cocktail. Throughout the day, you will find several kinds of Watson's drinks for complimentary. But no perrier nor evian, only Le meridien branded bottle water. During afternoon tea time, you'll find three or four kinds of cakes, small pieces, and some fruits. That's pretty much about it. For evening cocktail, you'll get a nice variety of wine. I did not count them before, but I think there are around 20 kinds of wine selections. You'll also get three or four hot dishes, cheese plate, fruits, and some sandwiches. Plus, evening view of the people's square is great. As I mentioned, the louge is a lot better than St. Regis Shanghai.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 6:01 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
CIT85: Can you comment on the food/drinks in the club lounge?
We're in the Lounge right now, just finished our evening appetizers/dinner.

The Lounge breakfast is limited in variety, that's why we had breakfast down in the buffet restaurant the past 3 mornings, free if you're staying at Royal Club level. dhacker, if you read this, ask about having breakfast in the restaurant since you're upgraded to Club Levle Junior Suite, significantly better. Breakfast is 208 RMB + 15 % service fee, so I'm getting >$100 worth of breakfast each day.

There are beverages all day long, you just have to ask. Alcoholic beverages are only available in the evenings from just after 5 PM until 8 PM. We haven't been around for afternoon food much, although it's the only time of day for desserts.

Evening food is quite good with a decent variety. My daughter caught a cold upon arriving in Shanghai, so we've been having light dinner in the Lounge every evening. We haven't been hungry at any time during the past 3 days. Tonight's selection was excellent, everything was tasty.

There is a sparkling wine (Australian Jacob's Creek), two white wines (Jacob's Creek chardonnay and Chilean Las Condes sauvignon blanc), and two red wines (Jacon's Creek Merlot and Las Condes cabernet sauvignon-better). Liquor includes JW Black Scotch, Tanqueray gin, Bailey's, Captain Morgan's run, etc. There are a fw beers and the soft drinks pelapela described. I'm drinking Perrier now, you just have to ask.

The view from the Lounge is hard to beat, looking at Pudong with all the landmark buildings and the lights at night.

China is hot as hell now. Beijing was 36'C last week and humid. Huangshan City was 36'C-39'C and close to 100% RH. I haven't had my glasses fog up so thoroughly since my college days in Houston. Shanghai has been 34-38'C this week and even more humid.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 12:48 pm

I'm planning on booking 5 nights at the LRM in November/December (based on the recommendations here).

I'm not Gold or Plat and can book 5 nights for 48,000 points (12k per night, 5th night free).

In order to gain access to the Lounge, I have to have a Royal Club room, correct? I'm being offered a King Deluxe room option only.

1. Is it relatively easy to change my reservation to 2 single beds?
2. Do I call the hotel to upgrade my room to a Royal Club room after I've booked with my SPG points? How much might this be per night? I'd have to factor in the benefits of the free breakfast/drinks, etc. Plenty of good eating in Shanghai...

Thank you! I'm learning quite a bit from this forum.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by FTnewbie731
I'm planning on booking 5 nights at the LRM in November/December (based on the recommendations here).

I'm not Gold or Plat and can book 5 nights for 48,000 points (12k per night, 5th night free).

In order to gain access to the Lounge, I have to have a Royal Club room, correct? I'm being offered a King Deluxe room option only.

1. Is it relatively easy to change my reservation to 2 single beds?
2. Do I call the hotel to upgrade my room to a Royal Club room after I've booked with my SPG points? How much might this be per night? I'd have to factor in the benefits of the free breakfast/drinks, etc. Plenty of good eating in Shanghai...

Thank you! I'm learning quite a bit from this forum.
you can have 2 single beds very easily. Deluxe room does have 2 single beds type.
write to the hotel, there is a complete list of starpoints instant rewards. But beware of the trick, the starpoints requirements stated on the list do not mean starpoints needed to upgrad to that room category from deluxe room. You will see upgrade to an imperial suite only needs 12000pt.......... Anyway, that means upgrade to an imperial suite from a presidential suite need 12000pt.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 6:23 pm

Programs: United 1P, Alaska MVPG 75K, Hyatt Daimond
Help with choice of rooms

Since I'm a lowly spg member - no status at all, I don't think I will ever get upgraded.
I went throught 10 pages here and could not find the answer.

What is the difference between Deluxe Room and Grand Deluxe Room. I can see the Grand Deluxe is on a higher floor. Is that all? There is a 35-40 dollar difference in price per day. Is that worth it?
I can't really justify spending a little over a hundred dollars a day extra for the executive rooms (from the deluxe) - unless there is something really cool that I would regret missing.

Any advice is appreciated
Old Aug 30, 2009, 5:41 am

There really is no differece between grand deluxe and deluxe. You will be surpise how many different room types this meriden has. OK. In this meridien, guest rooms are divided into three floor sections each with their own elevators respectively. And a same type of room will have different names in each section.......... And a junior room is only slightly bigger than a deluxe. The executive lounge benefits is actually pretty cool in this property. Well, at least you'll get a pretty decent breakfast in the Lobby cafe, and a evening cocktail with various liquor selections.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 7:54 pm

Programs: United 1P, Alaska MVPG 75K, Hyatt Daimond
Thanks for your reply.
Right now there is a non refundable rate where the deluxe comes with a free buffet breakfast. I guess I'll save my 35 big ones a night and go with the deluxe
Old Aug 31, 2009, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver
I figured I'd chime in after a recent stay. Got a nice ug to an executive suite on the club levels. The funny thing about this hotel is that apparently, none of the club level rooms have a bund view (due to the orientation of the hotel near the top and the height of the executive lounge, which goes up a LOOONG way). They do have some larger suites, apparently, on the lower floors that they said they might've been able to give me, but I stuck with the plan (which was arranged in advance thanks to derpelikan... thank you!).

I must agree that this is by far the best *wood property currently in Shanghai. We actually decided to try the St. Regis and the Westin as well (which I'd been to once before). The room might have actually been the smallest at the LRM (by a little bit compared to Westin- the St. Regis rooms are much larger in general), but it had the nicest view, ambiance, decor, etc. Fantastic room and amenities, excellent club lounge.

One interesting thing I found in China is the noted strictness of lounge access. The St. Regis wanted to charge extra for an extra person (a little over 12 yrs old). I said really, you charge extra for a child? The lounge attendant said, "she is not a child." I asked, so what is a child exactly? To which the reply was "like, 4, 5 years old." Very strange. I guess the point is that I asked in advance at the LRM lounge and the attendant said no problem and seemed puzzled as to why I would ask...

Back to the property... great pool/spa/gym facilities. Excellent breakfast- 'sushi' station, western foods, chinese breakfast items and dim sum, espresso drinks included- it was great and there were SO many choices. However, on this point, the Westin breakfast was comparable- and it had a great fresh noodle soup station, which was fun. The St. Regis lounge paled in comparison to both of these. Actually, the evening appetizer/drinks hour is probably a bit better at the Westin in terms of food (but NOT drinks), but the view from the LRM lounge in my opinion more than makes up for it- it is simply fantastic, and must be seen to be believed.

All in all, we left the property wishing that our last day was not at the Westin (which we had been to before) and that we could have extended it at the LRM. After staying at the Westin again, our feelings were confirmed. And I haven't even mentioned the UNBEATABLE location of the LRM (the Westin is quite out of the way, and though it's a quick cab ride away, there's nothing like walking downstairs to the very center of Shanghai on the pedestrian only Nanjing road area).

If you are in Shanghai, get thee to the Royal Meridien!
Old Sep 4, 2009, 7:14 am

Location: San Francisco, Shanghai, Taipei, Hong Kong, Shenzhen.
Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam, UA GS
Originally Posted by convert
What is the difference between Deluxe Room and Grand Deluxe Room. I can see the Grand Deluxe is on a higher floor. Is that all? There is a 35-40 dollar difference in price per day. Is that worth it?
Any advice is appreciated
The Deluxe Room and Grand Deluxe Room are slightly different only in the following:
1) Floors are different: supposedly Grand Deluxe rooms are the higher floors with separate elevator
2) Washroom amenities: Deluxe rooms have the generic shampoo and soap, Grand Deluxe has ALL L'Occitane products and better towels and bathrobes.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Mini report September 2009

Preface: In Shanghai as a tourist.

Rate: FWN

Transportation: We took a cab from the Grand Hyatt. The cab driver was a classic rip off artist. Drop off was one block from the hotel and he tried to short my buddy on the fare three times. We just sat in the cab until he paid up fully.

Check-in: We found the Hotel's lobby level and checked in. I knew already I had a Bund view room which changed to a Club room the previous evening. That being said if there is no difference in Club rooms versus regular rooms would opt for Bund view room. My room looks out onto People's Square which is fine of course until you see the Bund at night.

Perks: Took points as amenity.

Lounge: The Lounge is a nice affair which does have a great Bund view. The only problem with all these Lounges is the windows are so dirty. They had a nice evening service. The staff is ok but not that attentive given this is Asia. Nothing like the Grand Hyatt. This morning we will take breakfast downstairs as it seems to be a option.

Room and bathroom: This has been written about before.

Tv: A very good selection with many English channels esp. movie channels. Dvd player which plays North American region discs.

Internet: Wired and I think 120 rmb per night. Wireless comp in Lounge along with places to plug in.

Change: Used the HSBC atm at PVG upon arrival after immigration.

SIM: Using Skype phone.

Eating venues: We roamed around for dinner and found the options limited here. The prices are like in the States.

Local markets: Tons of things around. Of course. We ate at Taikong because my friend wanted to try Shanghai dumplings. It was very good and reasonable. If you are coming in from the pedestrian walk into the Le turn around and look at the opposite side. To a slight right you will be a crowded Chinese food/herb shop and above with lots of glass you will see Taikong. There seems to be no visible entrance to the second floor. Walk thru that shop to the back. Head up the stairs. The menu is also in English. In fact it was very very good. We should have gone back. Order and pay upon ordering. No check after. Cash up front. Take lots of napkins and watch out. Those things are hot! Meaning temp..

Local area: Shanghai has changed so much since my last visit. Amazing. Department Store Number 1 is nothing like it used to be. Nor are the prices.

Negatives: This place is really central. Would stay again.

Closing: Been here, done that. This is my second stay in Shanghai. It was great to try the Hyatt hotels I have always wondered about. The Le was a pleasant surprise. Thanks for recommending it. A solid property. Back to Japan.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 10:09 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, United 1K, Star Alliance Gold
Different take that I posted in another thread as a non-tourist:

It's a beautiful hotel but I find the service to be a little lackluster and a bit aloof. And this is true in most China hotels: They don't really allow you to control the temperature in your room. I was basically downgraded b/c the corner room they originally gave me on the executive floor could only reach a temp of 24 C (75F). They moved me to a smaller room on a different floor with a little better result. BTW - I'm merely a Gold, so don't have much pull.

Also, it's just not a practical business hotel because of it's location. Yes, it is in the middle of People's Square (the "cultural center" of Shanghai) but the area is also heavily congested and impractical if you are doing a lot of traveling out to Western Shanghai, Zhejiang, or Jiangsu.

Having lived and worked in Shanghai I am not interested in seeing the "sites". The better restaurants, bars, and general area are in Xu hui, Jing An, and Hongqiao. It amazes me that there are no *Woods (except the Sheraton Hongqiao - which has horrible management and a terrible hotel) in these areas. Most of the new Shanghai *Woods are again on the flippin' Bund (yeah, novel the first time but again - not a practical location. Good for tourists, bad for business). You've already got the Westin and the LRM in this area, why do you need more within walking distance. Put one in the CBD.

Lucky for me, there are great *woods for me in the other areas I travel to - BKK, BOM, DBX.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 12:51 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
My buddy and I talked about PVG being a tourist spoke before he left to PEK. I think you can come to PVG once and that would do it.

The breakfast spread in the Lounge was extensive. We were kinda rushed so taking breakfast on 44 made more sense than downstairs. Enjoyed the stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.