Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pasadena: Sheraton or Westin? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pasadena: Sheraton or Westin? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2009, 9:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
I've stayed at both and the Westin was much nicer, but we seem to have received a fluke of an upgrade to a corner executive room that was stellar (about a year and a half ago as Gold). Our stay at the Sheraton in December was not nearly as nice. We have a stay booked at the Sheraton this weekend (better rate, wedding party issues), but are still contemplating defecting to the Westin for a few more bucks. The consistently poor Plat treatment reported by others has me questioning the merits of our thinking. I'll report back regardless of what we decide.

As for parking, Sheraton was $13 in December. I just called the Westin and it's $8 self park with in and out priveleges so they must have brought that back after all the complaints.
Old May 13, 2009, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Upgrades wise, Sheraton.
Old May 14, 2009, 1:16 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
I've stayed at both and the Westin was much nicer, but we seem to have received a fluke of an upgrade to a corner executive room that was stellar (about a year and a half ago as Gold). Our stay at the Sheraton in December was not nearly as nice. We have a stay booked at the Sheraton this weekend (better rate, wedding party issues), but are still contemplating defecting to the Westin for a few more bucks. The consistently poor Plat treatment reported by others has me questioning the merits of our thinking. I'll report back regardless of what we decide.

As for parking, Sheraton was $13 in December. I just called the Westin and it's $8 self park with in and out priveleges so they must have brought that back after all the complaints.
Sure, the room at the Westin is nicer. Upgrades at the Westin is extremely rare for the many times I've stayed there over many years.

I've stayed at the Sheraton the last several times I was in Pasadena. The Lounge at the Sheraton is reasonaby nice with free Internet access, especially after they adjusted the Jura coffee machine.

I just can't bring myself to stay at the Westin anymore.
Old May 18, 2009, 9:53 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
After debating a switch to the Westin (for about $30 or $40 more), we decided to stick with the Sheraton for our one night stay this weekend. I had booked an accessible room (best price) and noted that I didn't actually need one. They were completely sold out, but were able to check us in at 11am and gave us a room on the club floor with club access. This room was significanly nicer than the ground floor room we had last time.

Club lounge had decent offerings in the evening and morning, but it was absolutely over utilized. It's probably the size of two standard rooms and both times we tried to go in, there were probably 30 or 40 people in there. This hotel has a larger than normal footprint resulting in a lot of rooms per floor, which may have been part of the reason for the crowds.

I'm glad we gave the Sheraton a second chance. I still liked the Westin better, but given that the Sheraton is usually cheaper, it's a decent option.
Old May 18, 2009, 10:35 pm

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
I have stayed a couple of times at both.

The standard rooms at Westin are TINY and you may well wind up in one, even as a Plat. Last week I was in a "balcony room" and it is still stupidly small but the balcony is nice.

Sheraton will likely upgrade plats to a Jr Suite, which is basic but good enough for the price.

Neither are ideal, but for room upgrades/lounge go for Sheraton, overall quality (with no expectations for upgrade) to for Westin. If the price were the same I would probably go for Westin.
Old May 10, 2011, 5:04 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Bumping this since it's been 2 years since a post.

I can get the Sheraton for $35 less than the Westin. Is the Westin worth the extra bucks? Only for one night.

Just Gold, so not expecting an upgrade at either.

Thanks!
Old May 10, 2011, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Out of my Element

I can get the Sheraton for $35 less than the Westin. Is the Westin worth the extra bucks? Only for one night.

Thanks!
I stayed at the Sheraton twice earlier this year, and was Gold at the time. Reception was very friendly, and I was upgraded to club level both times. I thought the evening food and drink offerings were quite nice, and I was fortunate in that the lounge was very uncrowded both in the evenings and in the mornings. My room away from the elevators was quiet and comfortable. The gym got busy quite early in the mornings (like 5:30am) but had good equipment.

Last edited by Crazy4Birds; May 10, 2011 at 6:28 pm Reason: clarification
Old May 11, 2011, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Out of my Element

Thanks!
NO. I have never been impressed with treatment as a Platinum member at the Westin, let alone Gold.

I have always been upgraded at the Sheraton.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Any preferences between the two nowadays?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
I have never stayed at the Westin, but am at the Sheraton nearly every week. Our corporate rate at the Sheraton is ~1/2 that of the Westin.

I've come to tolerate the Sheraton, but if money is no object, the Westin is probably a "nicer" property. The Sheraton lounge is OK - the ladies that work it are friendly. The food options (both evening and morning) are pretty weak, though. The wine and beer in the evenings is nice, though. You can also easily walk to the Gelson's market and shopping mall across the street for food.

The folks at check-in know me, so I rarely get a room outside of the club level. The few times when they've put me somewhere else, I ask them to put me on the club level (regardless if it's double beds or a king) and they have been able to acommodate. As for suite upgrades - I get offered about 30% of the time, but tend to turn them down as the XX72 rooms are at the far end of the hallway from either the lounge or the elevators. I don't need the space for me and my little suitcase. There is another suite layout closer to the elevator that I've had once, and it's a bit nicer + more convenient.

The gym is one of the worst "new" gyms I've seen at an SPG property. The ceiling is probably less than 8' high, so at 6'1" standing on a treadmill or elliptical I'm dangerously close to the flourescent light fixtures. Also, it gets really hot in there as it tends to be fairly well utilized at all times of the morning. The Virgin Australia/Atlantic crews are often staying there - gotta hand it to them for hitting the gym I've started running outside in the morning...

Parking is $15/night with in/out priveleges if you get a key card from the front desk at checkin. However (and they claim this not to be true), you can park without in/out priveleges for the night for $9 if you just pay the garage attendent.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would avoid the "deluxe" patio rooms at the Sheraton. They look and feel like they're in the basement as the patio is located down in a sort of huge window well below a deck/patio/pool level and seems to look at a concrete wall. Despite the name of the room category, they seem to price the same as standard rooms and are sometimes more available.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would avoid the "deluxe" patio rooms at the Sheraton. They look and feel like they're in the basement as the patio is located down in a sort of huge window well below a deck/patio/pool level and seems to look at a concrete wall. Despite the name of the room category, they seem to price the same as standard rooms and are sometimes more available.
I don't like the patio rooms either -- at least the one I stayed in, once. There was a short staircase down from the bathroom to the bedroom. Ugh!

Also, they are more spacious and have higher ceilings than most of the other rooms, BUT they aren't especially well-decorated, nor is there any extra furniture to fill the space, so they just seem kind of spartan.

I suppose the patio could be nice if you are there during good weather, but I was there during winter, it was raining, and the patio was useless. And there seemed to be a leak (from the rain? -- not sure), such that there was a wet, squishy area in the carpet not too far from the sliding glass door.

Overall, pretty unimpressive. But if the price for these patio rooms were a lot lower than regular rooms, I might consider choosing them again, as I travel on my own dime (not business).
Old Nov 6, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
BUMP.

What's the latest between the two? Which would you consider first class travel? Why/Why not?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by 100% Green
BUMP.

What's the latest between the two? Which would you consider first class travel? Why/Why not?
You don't choose either one for First Class travel.

Until someone report the Westin treats Plat members well, I'd stay away.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by CIT85
You don't choose either one for First Class travel.

Until someone report the Westin treats Plat members well, I'd stay away.
What would you recommend for first class travel in pasadena? Doesn't seem like there are many options.

Sheraton, Westin, and a Hilton? Anything else? Are there rooms at the Sheraton or Westin that you would consider first class?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.