Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pasadena: Sheraton or Westin? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pasadena: Sheraton or Westin? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:51 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Just returned from a 1 night stay at the Westin Pasadena.

We had booked an executive room on SPG50. The room was fine-- very basic, but what I expected after reading this thread. I'm glad we booked executive because we wouldn't have liked a smaller room.
Asked about suites at check-in and was told that because of weddings all the suites were booked. (I did see several wedding parties staying at the hotel)

At first the desk clerk told me that any checkout after 3 pm would cost an extra 1/2 day, but then quickly corrected himself when and said-- "oh, of course you can have later because you're platinum-- how about 3:30?" I didn't argue because 3:30 was the time we needed.

The location was great for us since it is very close to the Pasadena Playhouse. The free shuttle service to any location within a 3 mile radius is awesome-- I wish more hotels had that. They took us to the play, then to the restaurant and then back to the hotel. The shuttle alone would bring me back to the hotel if I had an event in Pasadena. There are several top rated Zagat restaurants in the area and we loved our first visit to the Playhouse.

It's the last week and I think most tickets are sold out but if you have a chance to catch Laurence Fishburn and Angela Bassett in Fences it is worth making a special trip. They are amazing. We are avid theater goers and it was truly one of the finest plays we've ever seen.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 2:03 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
There's the Paseo (outdoor mall with movie theater) a block from the pasadena westin on colorado. I work a block from the Westin. For food places, there's McCormick and Schmidt's (great happy hour deals), CPK, and Ruth Chris. A few blocks west on colorado, there's the old town pasadena. The westin used to be a doubletree.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
First, I live in Pasadena, practically next door to the Westin. So, this is from a local's perspective.

McCormick and Schmick's happy hours is crap. Bad food, bad drinks. $1.95 menu consists of only a couple of items. There are many other wonderful places in old town that has great happy hours, I would skip it. It is, however, adjacent to the Westin.

Westin is in a much preferable area. Sheraton is on Cordova and you do not want to be South of Cordova. The "golden rectangle" of Pasadena is bounded by Walnut St, Lake, Pasadena Ave, and Cordova. Try staying within the rectangle and you will be fine. The areas outside of this rectangle is a lot less desirable (I'll leave it at that). Sheraton is right on the border. On the positive side, Sheraton is next L&L bbq and Houston's

Last edited by BlissWorld; Oct 20, 2006 at 2:25 pm
Old Oct 20, 2006, 2:35 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
The Hat off Lake above the freeway would be my only exception leaving the golden rectangle

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
First, I live in Pasadena, practically next door to the Westin. So, this is from a local's perspective.

McCormick and Schmick's happy hours is crap. Bad food, bad drinks. $1.95 menu consists of only a couple of items. There are many other wonderful places in old town that has great happy hours, I would skip it. It is, however, adjacent to the Westin.

Westin is in a much preferable area. Sheraton is on Cordova and you do not want to be South of Cordova. The "golden rectangle" of Pasadena is bounded by Walnut St, Lake, Pasadena Ave, and Cordova. Try staying within the rectangle and you will be fine. The areas outside of this rectangle is a lot less desirable (I'll leave it at that). Sheraton is right on the border. On the positive side, Sheraton is next L&L bbq and Houston's
Old Oct 20, 2006, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dlew308
The Hat off Lake above the freeway would be my only exception leaving the golden rectangle
I didn't even know there's The Hat there. That tells you I never leave the golden rectangle....except for some cobbler from cobbler factory

Btw, how rude of me to forget.....Welcome to Flyertalk dlew308!
Old Oct 20, 2006, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite
Thumbs up Pasadena Westin

Hands down chosse that hotel. I agree with the previous post. Nice restaurant, outdoor seating, freiendly staff etc. Great Equinox Fitness Club close by. Fabulous trainer/GM there, Keli Lane.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 9:58 pm

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
The Westin is a much nicer hotel, the Sheraton is very tired IMHO. The only thing the Sheraton has going for it is the crews from Virgin Atlantic and other airlines stay there so the scenery by the pool is awesome.

BTW, there are other flight crews that stay at other area hotels (the Hilton) and they all hang out at bar on the 2nd floor of the paseo near the PF Changs. Maybe BlissWorld can assist with the name?
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by DENPremEx
The Westin is a much nicer hotel, the Sheraton is very tired IMHO. The only thing the Sheraton has going for it is the crews from Virgin Atlantic and other airlines stay there so the scenery by the pool is awesome.
Doesn't the Sheraton still have a club lounge that serves breakfast and evening drinks? The Westin doesn't. That could be another advantage of the Sheraton, if you're an SPG Plat. But otherwise, the Westin is certainly more handsome and stylish. ^
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:36 pm

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Doesn't the Sheraton still have a club lounge that serves breakfast and evening drinks? The Westin doesn't. That could be another advantage of the Sheraton, if you're an SPG Plat. But otherwise, the Westin is certainly more handsome and stylish. ^
Yes, when I was there last there was a lounge, nothing spectacular, just the usual cold sodas, water, etc. and some hors devours.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Westin Pasadena Rocks!

Not sure if this is the best place for me to post this, but there didn't seem to be a designated Westin Pasadena thread. Mods, please feel free to move if there's a better place.

Mrs. Goodman and I just completed a nice weekend stay at the Westin Pasadena and I can honestly say it was one of my best hotel experiences ever. Every aspect of our stay was excellent. Valets were helpful in helping us figure out self-park (no attitude for not utilizing the valet). Front desk staff were extremely cordial and upgraded us to a huge corner executive room on the 11th floor (we're Gold and had booked a traditional room). The room had 3 banks of windows on two sides, all three of which opened (one of my favorite features at a hotel). In addition to the King bed, we had a nice couch and chair set with three ottomans, large desk, 27" tube tv. Decent sized bathroom with tub/shower combo and single sink. Nice dressing area outside of the bathroom with two small closets and coffee station (new one up brewer) between. We had a late flight and were granted 4pm checkout without having to haggle (I usually have to negotiate and end up with 1 or 2pm). They also have a couple of computers in the lobby that allow free online flight check-in, which came in handy since we were flying Southwest.

This was our first stay at this prop, but we would definitely return if staying anywhere near Pasadena. Top notch!
Old Dec 18, 2007, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, there are other flight crews that stay at other area hotels (the Hilton) and they all hang out at bar on the 2nd floor of the paseo near the PF Changs. Maybe BlissWorld can assist with the name?
I didn't see your post until just now... an year later Oops.

Acutally, I don't go anywhere near Paseo Colorado (the mall itself unless to see a movie at the Pacific). Are you speaking about the Yard House? In any case, most of the establishments they have at Paseo are all chains with next to no personality. There are many wonderful places in Pasadena that are unique. Okay, there is one exception I do go to the Gordon Biersch because I love their hefeweizen and garlic fries :drool:

But, for bars, Barney's is always a safe bet. There is also a lovely wine bar at union and raymond.

iapetus also lives in Pasadena and he knows a few bars that I don't, maybe you can ask him.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
I didn't even know there's The Hat there. That tells you I never leave the golden rectangle....except for some cobbler from cobbler factory

Btw, how rude of me to forget.....Welcome to Flyertalk dlew308!
I do hope you have ventured north of Holly by now
The hat is good-and there is a great soul food place(Big Mamma's)further up Lake.
Great(non-trendy)Japanese place-Masa's which has relocated east of the "GT" on Colorado very very good sushi and excellent staff.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 9:30 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Club Presidents Circle
There used to be a Border Grill next to the PF Changs, but that closed over a year ago; it's supposed to be another Mexican place, but it hasn't opened yet.

The only other place on that floor/side of the Paseo is that Brazilian BBQ place.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 11:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
SInce this thread has drifted to discussions of food in Pasadena, I'll add that we had great dinners at Vertical Wine Bar and Saladang Song this weekend.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 9:54 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
Not sure if this is the best place for me to post this, but there didn't seem to be a designated Westin Pasadena thread. Mods, please feel free to move if there's a better place.

Mrs. Goodman and I just completed a nice weekend stay at the Westin Pasadena and I can honestly say it was one of my best hotel experiences ever. Every aspect of our stay was excellent. Valets were helpful in helping us figure out self-park (no attitude for not utilizing the valet). Front desk staff were extremely cordial and upgraded us to a huge corner executive room on the 11th floor (we're Gold and had booked a traditional room). The room had 3 banks of windows on two sides, all three of which opened (one of my favorite features at a hotel). In addition to the King bed, we had a nice couch and chair set with three ottomans, large desk, 27" tube tv. Decent sized bathroom with tub/shower combo and single sink. Nice dressing area outside of the bathroom with two small closets and coffee station (new one up brewer) between. We had a late flight and were granted 4pm checkout without having to haggle (I usually have to negotiate and end up with 1 or 2pm). They also have a couple of computers in the lobby that allow free online flight check-in, which came in handy since we were flying Southwest.

This was our first stay at this prop, but we would definitely return if staying anywhere near Pasadena. Top notch!
I'm glad you had a great stay. I have stayed at the Westin 2-3 times a year for quite a few years. My most recent stay was end of Sept. Only once was I upgraded to a large corner room that resembles the one you described. I usually get what seems to be a standard room. I do like the hotel, but I am very unimpressed with Platinum benefits. I usually just split my stays between the Westin and the Sheraton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.