Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Verasa Napa [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Print Wikipost

The Westin Verasa Napa [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Just tried to book a room with platinum guarantee for the opening weekend - the rack rate for standard rate is $539. Also, it looks like the property is tacking on a $20 "amenities fee" that is not part of the rate.

Edit to add: here's the explanation on the amenities fee according to the website:

The amenity fee includes the following services: valet parking, free internet in guest rooms, meeting rooms and in lobby of the hotel. The fee also gives guests access to the pool, whirlpool, the WestinWORKOUT® Gym, and access to our private bocce ball courts. Please contact the hotel for further information.

If it's available, 10,000 points is a good value considering the fact that it'll probably go up to level 5 next year.

Last edited by PTahCha; Sep 6, 2008 at 1:12 pm
Old Sep 6, 2008, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTahCha
The amenity fee includes the following services: valet parking, free internet in guest rooms, meeting rooms and in lobby of the hotel. The fee also gives guests access to the pool, whirlpool, the WestinWORKOUT® Gym, and access to our private bocce ball courts. Please contact the hotel for further information.
That is so grating ("please contact the hotel"?? You kidding???) and wrong (rate should include it) on so many levels even if this was a resort, but it's an urban condo hotel in the middle of an sprawl of 70,000 people (see location here)

Last edited by hillrider; Sep 6, 2008 at 1:56 pm
Old Nov 13, 2008, 4:00 pm

Programs: Platinum AA, Gold Skymiles, *wood Platinum
If it's available, 10,000 points is a good value considering the fact that it'll probably go up to level 5 next year.
I just tried to book this hotel. It's not available.

Although there are many "suites" available for my booking date, I suspect there is a very low number of suites available for SPG point usage. I tried a host of dates, and couldn't find one.

Once again, Starwood seems to find ways to let more and more of their affiliated hotels find "unique" ways of not being part of the program. I've been Platinum for 5 years, and I'm done. It's fallen out of my high expectations I used to have (again).
Old Nov 13, 2008, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by high_flyer
I've been Platinum for 5 years, and I'm done. It's fallen out of my high expectations I used to have (again).
Who are you switching to? I'm planning my 2009 and open to inputs.

BTW, I also found out that self-park isn't included in the rate, and it's $12 on top of it. I'm pretty sure it's the only hotel in the area with this hidden charge (and trust me, not that many people show up without a car!) -- even the Auberge du Soleil, which is a true resort and not a condo, has parking in the rate (valet parking, actually).

Feels like this property is set up to scam, not to provide service; Starwood--are you asleep?

Last edited by hillrider; Nov 13, 2008 at 4:40 pm
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:39 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by high_flyer
I just tried to book this hotel. It's not available.

Although there are many "suites" available for my booking date, I suspect there is a very low number of suites available for SPG point usage. I tried a host of dates, and couldn't find one.

Once again, Starwood seems to find ways to let more and more of their affiliated hotels find "unique" ways of not being part of the program. I've been Platinum for 5 years, and I'm done. It's fallen out of my high expectations I used to have (again).
Hi high_flyer,

The "no black out dates" policy for redemption of free nights using SPG points is only applicable to standard rooms only. Therefore properties are given the freedom to decide whether they would like to release their suites for redemption.

One way to go about this is to book a standard room using your points and if you would like to upgrade to a standard suite that is available, speak to the property on the possibility of issuing an instant award for the upgrade.

Just trying to point the arrow at the right direction.

[email protected]

Last edited by Starwood Lurker II; Nov 13, 2008 at 10:44 pm Reason: Sentence structure
Old Dec 28, 2008, 11:23 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, AS MVPG-75K, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Silver, Nat EE
Has anyone stayed here yet? Thinking about staying in late April pending the reviews. Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2008, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't forget to add the $20 "amenities" fee to whatever rate you're quoted for this downtown hotel.

Last edited by hillrider; Jan 12, 2009 at 8:59 am Reason: Confusion over nickle-and-diming
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
The description of the amenity fee says it includes valet parking... but people are mentioning $12 parking fee...

I am confused.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:41 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Booked for next Sat Jan 17.

Was told Plat benefits included late checkout and suite upgrades if available.
SPG 50 rate accepted via SPG.
Just booked online will check about the SPG50 rate later.
Will advise.
Cheers,

Scho
Old Jan 12, 2009, 8:25 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by Golden Toque
The description of the amenity fee says it includes valet parking... but people are mentioning $12 parking fee...

I am confused.
Just finished a 3-night stay there. Amenity fee definitely includes parking. No additional charge except tips.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by JerryFF
Just finished a 3-night stay there. Amenity fee definitely includes parking. No additional charge except tips.
Any comments on your stay and the property?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 9:18 pm

Programs: SPG, AA: PLAT; Hilton: Diamon, UAL: Premier Exec; IC_PriClub; 308 hours flying Boeing 707's
A Westin in Napa with no knowledge of wine... horrible Service

One night stay
December 10th, 2008

The facts:

Arrival:
Small little cul-de-sac, with large circle for valet parking
spg.com did not reflect an upgrade
Check in:
I had called the hotel prior to arrival and they had my key packet ready
Platinum treatment:
Was told I had an upgrade, upgraded to a junior suite (on a night that was less than 20% occupancy)
Do not know if the property upgrades to full suites, but not for me.
The Junior Suite was nice, though the bedroom was awkwardly placed and the bathroom has lots of wasted place that made it still feel small.

Wine bar: Closed upon arrival
Restaurant: Looks exciting, but also closed
Meeting areas: Very prevalent, almost too many

Facility: Modern, but feels a little like there is too much plastic
Wireless internet needs to have it's signal boosted. With 20% occupancy, I'm sure no one else was hogging the bandwidth. WiFi is included in the amentiy fee.

Parking: Valet only. I was on the phone with the bellman when I arrived, so that was speedy, but since there was only one person working the desk when I checked out at noon, it took them about 10 minutes to get the car.

Comparable properties: The Equinox, a LC property in Vermont, The Westin Nafsika/Astir Palace, Greece

Gym: Small, looks out on the patio
Pool: Adequate, just large enough for laps. Surrounded by 6 or 8 cabanas. Large hot tub would maybe fit 12? I particulary enjoyed the sales pitch to the couple as I was finishing my laps.

Overall impression: The facility is decent, though located too far away from downtown. The service I experienced (both late night staff and day shift) was subpar. Starwood clearly has not brought in employees with previous experience to this property and it shows.

My experience:
I was to arrive in Sacramento at noon for a meeting at eleven the next day. Wanting to check out the new Westin, I thought I'd do the drive and spend the afternoon in Napa Valley. My first flight was delayed and I missed the connection, changing my arrival to 11:00 PM. I called the platinum concierge and verified that the Sheraton Sacramento had room. They called the Westin Napa on my behalf and explained that I wouldn't be arriving until after midnight. We asked if I could cancel the reservation, the Westin Napa told the platinum concierge no. I called the property directly. The lady on desk was brusque. ie she was more rude than the harried agents at the airline who were dealing with 40 cancellations and many delays. As soon as I asked, this lady read me the cancellation policy and said there was nothing she could do. I mentioned my status and asked as nicely as I could. They said I had to come or I would be charged. In more than 300
Starwood stays, I have had to cancel three or four times after the deadline and the property has always been accomodating. I was tired after being at the airport at 6 AM East Coast time and this was frustrating. Only later did I wonder if this was her first time reading the cancellation policy!

I arrived in SMF and got in the car, and my blackberry that I'd been on all day was out of battery, so I didn't have my directions.

The platinum concierge read me directions, but the ones they have from Sacramento bring you South, East and then North, adding about 15 minutes to the drive. I navigated to Main Street, where the direction became unclear. Knowing that I was close, I called the property and the front desk agent couldn't tell me where the hotel was from Main Street in Napa. NOTE: It's about 1/4 mile away. She confessed that she wasn't from around there, that she didn't know where Main Street was, but that she would try to find a map. She found the bellman, who provided adequate directions and was waiting for me at the door. I arrived around 12:30 and told them I was so glad to be there, I could use a bite to eat and would love a glass of wine. I was told that the chef had gone home and they don't have any wine they could give me. No food, no drink. I checked in, asked if I was upgraded, and was told I received an upgrade to "One of the best rooms in the hotel," which was the same Junior Suite they have in many plaeach of the inner curves of the hotel. The fire escape diagram showed about 40 rooms that were larger, but I wasn't going to fight at 12:30 AM.

I woke the next morning and asked about Breakfast, specifically if platinum's might get a breakfast voucher. Service Express told me there should have been a breakfast menu hanging on my door. I thanked them, and asked what the restaurant had for breakfast. They said "I don't know, but you can order room service through the hangar on your door." Thanks, I know it's 7 AM and it's early, but I got that the first time. I asked if the restaurant had any local specialties or anything they could recommend and Service Express told me, "I don't know, I haven't eaten there."

THE BEST PART OF MY STAY: I asked about the platinum amenity and was told it was the standard four US choices. I asked if they had considered a bottle of local wine as the amenity and the front desk agent asked:
"Why would we do that?" I explained my experience in Europe, where I've received bottles of wine as platinum amenities, and again asked if it made sense to have wine in the Napa Westin. I was told "These are the only platinum amenities that Starwood gives. Why would we offer wine?" I then pushed hard to this agent who had made me drive to her hotel after a 18 hour day at the airport, and told her that we were in wine country. She said, I will pass it on to management with a lack of interest.

That DEFINES this WESTIN for me. A Westin in Napa that has no knowledge of wine.

I hope, like a fine wine, it improves with time... and that's the best thing I can say about it.

The vinegar after taste that I have is that I am still working with accounting to get the bill correct. I've called 3 times and they left me a message yesterday saying they need a copy of my information again.

I SAY: STAY AWAY!

CaptainG's ranking:
One of the bottom 3 of the 42 Westin's I've stayed at.
Bottom 10 of the 270 Starwood's I've stayed at.
In the bottom 30 of the 500 plus properties I've stayed at.

Points for newness. Serious detractions for unbelieveable lack of service.

-- CaptainG

Last edited by CaptainG; Jan 12, 2009 at 9:26 pm
Old Jan 13, 2009, 9:24 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Our experience for 3 nights was almost the exact opposite of that posted by CaptainG. Everyone we dealt with at the hotel, from the valet parking folks to the front desk to the room service people to housekeeping were fantastic. As Gold, we were upgraded to a junior suite that was a superb room (by my standards).

Here are a few examples -
Valet - we were in and out twice a day and never had to wait for our car more than 2-3 minutes, usual 1-2 minutes. Whenever we asked directions, someone knew exactly what or where we needed to go and provided them.

Front desk - rapid checkin - upgrade even though we are only gold. Asked for any restaurant recommendations. The girl at the front desk (I wish I had gotten her name) was more knowledgeable than most hotel concierges I have met and directed us to one of the best meals, reasonably priced we have had - certainly the best meal on the trip (Redd in Yountville) and gave us directions to the hotel.

Room service - one night we had a mediocre meal and came back to the hotel. We called and wanted dessert and coffee. They had a very limited dessert list in the room and so the person we talked with went and asked the chef what he had. We went with something on the menu. They called back and said they were out and offered a substitute. We accepted. When the service person arrived, the original requested dessert was there along with the other one and they were both comped. The service person made a point of telling me that her tip was included in the bill - that rarely, if ever happens - i.e., that the delivery person mentions that.

It went on and on like that for 3 days. Maybe we didn't ask for anything special and so didn't get disappointed, but I would go back to this hotel in a second if I were in the area.

We did have a little difficulty finding the hotel but that was our fault. McKinstry St is a diagonal street only one block long. The key is to get on Soscal - McKinstry intersects Soscal just north of 1st and you can easily see the hotel from Soscal.

Last edited by JerryFF; Jan 18, 2009 at 9:59 am
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
We decided to take advantage of the freakishly perfect January weather and head up to wine country. Since this place is dog-friendly and the rates (pre-tax/resort fee) were under $200, we gave it a try. Good choice.

The 1st St. Bridge is closed in Napa, so as someone mentioned you can go in off Soscol St. to 1st then left on McKinstry. If you know where the Napa branch of Taylor's Automatic Refresher, Oxbow Public Market, or the Wine Train Depot is, it's right down the street.

We had a quick valet and check-in process, and got my platinum amenity without asking. We had booked the smaller 1BR (needing a pull-out for the kids), but were upgraded to a slightly larger one with 2 full bathrooms.

I'd compare the rooms to the Westin Kierland resort villas, if that's any help. A full kitchen with a eat-in counter and three barstools, a dining area that seated six, a couch and two comfy chairs in the living room. 32" flat-screens with HD feeds in the living and bedrooms. Master bath had a Heavenly Shower and deep tub, other bath was Heavenly Shower only. There was a fenced-in porch area with lounge chairs and a gate that made it easy to take the dogs out directly.

The Wi-fi was weak (as I've seem mentioned here and elsewhere, but there is a wired 100Mbps connection at the counter and an alternate jack under the curtains in the living room. A Cat5 cable was supplied. I wouldn't even bother with the WiFi.

My wife liked the gym, it had everything she needed. The size seemed appropriate for a hotel of this size, and some of the rooms are the Westin Workout type with their own treadmill.

I though the location was good; there were a few restaurants close by and downtown is certainly walkable or a 2-3 minute drive.

My only beef was the pool situation. You can't advertise a heated pool and hot tub and not heat them! I've seen this mentioned on-line many times, it's a recurring problem they seem reluctant to address. The pool itself was icy cold. No surprise there, but the hot tub was cold as well. Other families had already complained, and they did send a tech out when I was there. He took the temperature of both and said "yeah, it's running cold. not much we can do when it's like this." The air temp was easily in the 60's--t-shirt weather.

I've been in outdoor hot tubs in ski areas when it was much colder that and somehow they managed to get the water warm. They need to address this situation, unless they want lots of pissed-off guests.

I'll be back as long as the rates don't get too crazy. One concern though--the Napa River seems to flood a lot. Did they build this place in a flood plain? (ED-found the answer: http://www.cityofnapa.org/index.php?...550&Itemid=666)

Last edited by bbison; Jan 19, 2009 at 1:04 pm
Old Jan 20, 2009, 12:21 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Not very happy with my stay at the WVN. Although it was a high yielding one due to the points they threw at me when problems came up.

1) Contacted the concierge prior to arrival. Very helpful and friendly. Really looking forward to top notch weekend that was sure to follow.

2) Left the East Bay on my way up to Napa and called ahead to see if I had been a) pre-blocked into a suite and could stop for lunch, or b) if I needed to try and get there a bit ahead of the check-in rush to secure one. I was advised that a one bedroom had been pre-blocked for me, the keys were ready and I could check in at anytime. However, upon arrival I was told that my room wasn't ready because it had not been cleaned. I mentioned that I had called ahead. I was then told that the keys were ready but the room wasn't. Hmmm. The room wasn't but the keys were? (I don't think so!) Not a great start, but they managed to make we wait only a 15 minutes before my Pool View (not really pool view, inward facing is better description) 1BR Suite was ready.

3) Decided to take a nap before dinner. Dozed off but was awakened by howls and screams of joy and glee of a few kids. I thought they were in the hallway outside my room it was so loud. After 30 min I finally went to check the hallway but nobody there. Then I realized it was from the hot tub and noticed kids playing in it with inflatable toys. I guess it wasn't too hot Every pool facing room must have heard the same disturbance. Called service express. They promised to try and have a supervisor look into it. The noisecontinued for another 30-40 min (total over 1 hour) until it finally abated. Got a call from service express saying the problem was resolved and offering me 3000 points. I said I'd prefer comp breakfast and they said points only.

4) Great dinner at Ken Frank's LaToque!!!

5) Romantic breakfast in bed was nothing of the sort. Called service express to order breakfast in bed. While I likely didn't say "For 2 Guests" my order and the questions I asked my companion while on the line with Service Express about if she wanted fruit or no fruit etc...as well as ordering coffee for myself and Cafe Latte for my friend wasn't blatant enough I suppose.

I ordered
"American Breakfast and Small Pot of Coffee for myself and the Steel Cut Oats with Milk and Honey with fruit along and a cafe latte for my friend."

On one tray I received the American breakfast, Steel Cut Oats, one silverware setup, no milk, no honey, no ketchup, no cafe latte, one napkin. After another call they delivered a the latte, silverware, honey and a thimble of ketchup. Unfortunately the latte was 60% foam we ended up stretching with coffee and yes indeed we needed to share a linen napkin and impovised with the tray from the footstool in the sitting area.

Complained again. Definately not the romantic breakfast experience we were seeking. The MOD called me me back, asked if I was a SPG guest and offered a measly 2000 points! She should have checked my folio before she called! I said how about 5k and she said her maximum was 3500 without going to SPG corporate on it. Needed me to fill out the survey if I was going to request the 5K.

6) At Checkout I introduced myself to the MOD, handed her the survey. I gave her the run down from above to bring her up to speed. I told her that my breakfast should have been comped. I mentioned that she should have checked my folio before calling and asking if I were SPG member. I also suggested it would have been cool if I had been told that wifi was included in the resort fee.

She said that my breakfast had been comped and she'd given me the 3500. Was everything satisfactory now? I said well I filled out the survey so we were going to chase the 5K with SPG right? No. Comp breakfast + 3500 service was her final offer.

Fine just give me a $0 folio.

Oops! Breakfast not comped yet! Then she had to refund everything back in the right department etc. Took forever. Meanwhile the Valet was driving laps out front in the driveway with the GF in the car as the turn around area needed to be cleared over and over.

Long story short. New hotel. New furnishings. Rough service. Bad structural design. Not a quite romantic weekend.

If I go back, its a non-pool/courtyard room. I'd use this property only for a place to crash after dinner at LaToque.

Cheers,

Scho

PS:Everything has posted except the 3500 service promise from the breakfast debacle! Hope they come up tomorrow or I will need to chase the down! Nightmare!

Last edited by schoflyer; Jan 21, 2009 at 2:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.